Spring Practices/Game (April 20 Sat 2 pm TV: Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Spring Practices/Game (April 20 Sat 2 pm TV: Pac-12 Net)

Post by greenyellow »

ducks5ever wrote:Lack of penalties was encouraging!
Defensive personnel though - not sure about the rest of you all's thoughts.

Avalos seemed to use a 3-3-5, it just puzzles me why he would do that when we have such a talented and deep group of LB's for the first time in a very long time. Might have trouble stopping the run with just 6 guys in the "front 7"?
In my opinion CB is one of the thinnest positions (with DT) on the entire team so not sure it makes a ton of sense to do that....
Here's a breakdown of Avalos's defense from FishDuck, where they basically say the defense can morph on the fly or sub players in to counter certain looks/situations.
https://fishduck.com/2019/04/shrouded-i ... n-defense/
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Just to further expand on what Avalos is doing:

We are not running a 4-3; 3-4; 4-2-5, or 3-3-5; we are running all of them. The point is to disguise our defenses and confuse the offense. This is what Avalos has clearly said the design of his defense is. Now, it's great in theory, but can 18-23 year old young men run it? IF well taught, I believe so.

I think against MOST teams(since most teams run spread these days), we're going to see 4-2-5 in a 3-3-5 alignment. So the 3 down linemen, then the STUD position which can play as a LBer OR DE, based on the situation.

If you've followed the practice reports, you'll note that we seem to be playing 3 safeties a lot. A lot has been made of the STUD position, but the SPUR position(hybrid safety/LBer) is also a major key to this defense as someone that needs to be able to cover as well as stop the run.

I think this defense is great to stop the spread, but what I'm more curious to see is how we defense power running situations/teams.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I heard a story I thought I would pass on for anyone interested: It seems that during the draft for the two Spring Game teams, there was some jockeying for the services of walk-on receiver Kyle Buckner. Originally, he was drafted by his buddy Herbert for the Mighty Oregon team. However, Shough interceded, arguing that Buckner would probably not get a lot of looks on that team, and so, after some spirited debate, Tyler managed to get Kyle on his team. Buckner made a nice catch over Mykael Wright for 34 yards (to massive cheers from his teammates), and ended up with the second-most yards on the Fighting Ducks team, behind Pittman and ahead of Delgado. This is a guy who just showed up as a student during open tryouts a few years ago, and showed enough on the practice team that he even got into the game vs. the Beavers last year (no catches). It will be interesting to see if he gets in a game this year. I'm guessing his chances aren't great with all the new talent at WR, but you never know.

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Phalanx wrote:I heard a story I thought I would pass on for anyone interested: It seems that during the draft for the two Spring Game teams, there was some jockeying for the services of walk-on receiver Kyle Buckner. Originally, he was drafted by his buddy Herbert for the Mighty Oregon team. However, Shough interceded, arguing that Buckner would probably not get a lot of looks on that team, and so, after some spirited debate, Tyler managed to get Kyle on his team. Buckner made a nice catch over Mykael Wright for 34 yards (to massive cheers from his teammates), and ended up with the second-most yards on the Fighting Ducks team, behind Pittman and ahead of Delgado. This is a guy who just showed up as a student during open tryouts a few years ago, and showed enough on the practice team that he even got into the game vs. the Beavers last year (no catches). It will be interesting to see if he gets in a game this year. I'm guessing his chances aren't great with all the new talent at WR, but you never know.

It was a good catch I jumped up and cheered when it happened. Great story thanks for sharing.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

FlDuckFan wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I heard a story I thought I would pass on for anyone interested: It seems that during the draft for the two Spring Game teams, there was some jockeying for the services of walk-on receiver Kyle Buckner. Originally, he was drafted by his buddy Herbert for the Mighty Oregon team. However, Shough interceded, arguing that Buckner would probably not get a lot of looks on that team, and so, after some spirited debate, Tyler managed to get Kyle on his team. Buckner made a nice catch over Mykael Wright for 34 yards (to massive cheers from his teammates), and ended up with the second-most yards on the Fighting Ducks team, behind Pittman and ahead of Delgado. This is a guy who just showed up as a student during open tryouts a few years ago, and showed enough on the practice team that he even got into the game vs. the Beavers last year (no catches). It will be interesting to see if he gets in a game this year. I'm guessing his chances aren't great with all the new talent at WR, but you never know.

It was a good catch I jumped up and cheered when it happened. Great story thanks for sharing.
Rudy.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Auburn and Oregon Spring games are both currently up on youtube.

Auburn looks good, their young QB's look good, their backs and WR's look good. Front on defense is nasty. Their offense that they showed is a more well oiled machine than our is in terms of consistent execution. Avalos will have a great early test against the wizard Malzahn, but you do have to think that their new QB will have some early jitters, which maybe can get us an early lead.

If we run the pistol into the teeth of that defense we're going to have a bad time. However, back 7 of their defense in the passing game looks a little suspect. Johnson could have a real breakout game if we can pass pro in the play action game and also the screen game may be effective.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrantDuck wrote:
If we run the pistol into the teeth of that defense we're going to have a bad time.

WHEN we run the pistol into the teeth of that defense
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
If we run the pistol into the teeth of that defense we're going to have a bad time.

WHEN we run the pistol into the teeth of that defense
Just vomited in my mouth a little.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I dont care if its the pistol, the wishbone. the spread its all in the execution of it.
If they continue to be predictable then it doesnt matter. From what ive been hearing
a saw at the spring game they will line up in the spread as well as the pistol.
Do i like the pistol? Not really. But i dont hate it. Arroyo needs be way more creative.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I actually do hate the pistol because I believe if you don't run your QB with it, its a wasted scheme that becomes ineffective. It's like being a running team that never uses play-action out of the I.

That said, I'm really excited for Derrick Brown vs our Interior. I know he's pretty much a lock for 1st round and it's going to be great off-season motivation for our iOL to get ready for that matchup. When we do run over they asses it will be that much more fun to watch too.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'll add too, I don't think the pistol is a flawed formation, it's just that if you run the ball up the gut 25 times and don't run your QB or add variety, its not going to be effective against good or even average(wazzu) or sometimes even BAD(Arizona) defenses.

The one that sticks out most to me with Arroyo with predictability is still against Utah. 3rd and 4, we run a slant to Mitchell in the 1st half for an easy 1st down. Again in the 3rd quarter we run it and it's barely complete with the DB all over him. 4th quarter, we run it AGAIN and it's broken up easily.

No counter play, no thought to hey, if we run a sluggo or an arrow route here, we're going to get a big gain, just the same freakin' play. That's just like some kid on Madden trying to use the same play over and over again.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I do hope that we run Herbert more. Hylotheday on Addicted to Quack, goes through every single play & he said not only did we not run Herbert, but we only ran something like 4 RPOs over a 3-4 game period. Teams would crash in hard off the edges and we need to keep them honest.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I do hope that we run Herbert more. Hylotheday on Addicted to Quack, goes through every single play & he said not only did we not run Herbert, but we only ran something like 4 RPOs over a 3-4 game period. Teams would crash in hard off the edges and we need to keep them honest.
Even w/ Arroyo's predictable playcalling, if they would've just let Herb keep the ball at least 4-5 times/game that probably would've been enough.