Spring Practices/Game (April 20 Sat 2 pm TV: Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Spring Practices/Game (April 20 Sat 2 pm TV: Pac-12 Net)

Post by greenyellow »

AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Looked pretty good, think depth will be an issue but there is some really good top talent. I was mostly impressed by Verdell, he looks a step faster. Also KT is as advertised, what a nightmare matchup for OLineman! He’s faster than I thought. Would’ve had 5 sacks if it wasn’t for the QB red jerseys. Herbert was off, not sure if that’s concerning or not, but I expected a little better from him. Drops weren’t an issue but there were a few, mostly by Ryan Bay. It’s certainly better than last year but there’s still room for improvement. Overall good showing from the fans and the team, gonna be a fun season! Go ducks!

Bay has a history of failing to make catches. The coaches love him though.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

My observations:

* KT is everything he’s been advertised. The two plays that would have been sacks are what he’s going to be doing this year. I was talking to a family member of an offensive player who was saying that she’s been told Kayvon is a man among boys and everyone knows he’s something different. If this is what the guys who are seeing him in practice are telling their families it makes me think the coaching staff is just trying to temper expectations.

* Awesome to see Throck in uniform even though everyone knows he’s out. That type of teammate is just always awesome to see.

* So many recruits and family members. On a beautiful day where the university pulled out all the stops for them.

* The coaches told us the offense would just be a vanilla thing. It looked exactly like last years offense so I’m hoping that means changes and alteration to the scheme.

* Juwan Johnson. I was skeptical of him stepping in and being our best WR. I was wrong. He’s our best WR. By far. He’s also huge, bigger than Jaison Williams. He looks as big as Pharaoh Brown but with bigger shoulders.

* Drops, still drops. I think Cam McCormick had a big drop right in the hands.

* First team OL really settled down after a bad start. Block of the day goes to whoever was #78 on yellow. Springs a big run Andre gets a pancake.

* CJ Verdell looks faster.

* Shough looked really good. I feel better. Delgado and Pittman both made plays.
WestCoastDux
Two Star Recruit

Post by WestCoastDux »

#78 Alex Forsyth
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

GoDucksTroll wrote:My observations:

* KT is everything he’s been advertised. The two plays that would have been sacks are what he’s going to be doing this year. I was talking to a family member of an offensive player who was saying that she’s been told Kayvon is a man among boys and everyone knows he’s something different. If this is what the guys who are seeing him in practice are telling their families it makes me think the coaching staff is just trying to temper expectations.

* Awesome to see Throck in uniform even though everyone knows he’s out. That type of teammate is just always awesome to see.

* So many recruits and family members. On a beautiful day where the university pulled out all the stops for them.

* The coaches told us the offense would just be a vanilla thing. It looked exactly like last years offense so I’m hoping that means changes and alteration to the scheme.

* Juwan Johnson. I was skeptical of him stepping in and being our best WR. I was wrong. He’s our best WR. By far. He’s also huge, bigger than Jaison Williams. He looks as big as Pharaoh Brown but with bigger shoulders.

* Drops, still drops. I think Cam McCormick had a big drop right in the hands.

* First team OL really settled down after a bad start.
Pretty spot on and good observations...decent showing overall, Spring ball is the first opportunity to look at you team. From here they have an opportunity to accentuate the positives and put a focus on eliminating the negatives. That long ball by Shough, under pressure, was phenomenal. However, I did not see that much improvement in the run game and run blocking as per standard from Arroyo’s offenses to date. But the way CH-L hits the line and runs between the tackles looks like a vast improvement from last year, I think he will surprise people this year.

But decent will not win divisions, conferences or championships, so there is plenty of work to get all that talent ready for Auburn and beyond. IK its only Spring.

The Military Appreciation was awesome!
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

I’d agree with all those comments...for me what was obvious was that the overall pool is significantly better than 2 years ago. I left that spring game wondering where we were sound because there were so many holes. This year it looked like a fairly competitive battle across 2 teams and I’d be hard pressed to find glaring weaknesses. Having TEs back healthy is great. Looks like Juwan will be a good weapon and Shough looked composed.....On defense, I think we’re still thin in some key spots but our starters looked good. Corners have grown up and the weight room work is showing. I’d love if our kicker situation was a little clearer.. Auburn game will be a huge test though in more of a road atmosphere too
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

FlDuckFan wrote:Hot take- Shough looks better than Herbert .

:lol:
No. But he's a competent backup.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Couldn’t make it to the game yesterday due to a family gathering. Anyone who was there, what was the announced attendance for the game? The stands looked pretty full but not as full as I have seen in the best years. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It was a little over 35K, which is lower than in some previous years but still high enough to be the highest attended in the conference.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:It was a little over 35K, which is lower than in some previous years but still high enough to be the highest attended in the conference.
IDK, I thought on tv that Autzen looked as full as its ever been for a spring game and that some of those past attendance numbers didn't match up to the eyeball test of the stadium. Either way it was a good showing for us.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

buckmarkduck wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Possibly the best backup since Bennett.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

duck58 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Possibly the best backup since Bennett.
I would say that at this point Shough is a better passer than Bennett but Bennett as a runner could really confuse defenses.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:It was a little over 35K, which is lower than in some previous years but still high enough to be the highest attended in the conference.
IDK, I thought on tv that Autzen looked as full as its ever been for a spring game and that some of those past attendance numbers didn't match up to the eyeball test of the stadium. Either way it was a good showing for us.
I wasn’t at last years game but it looked about equal to Willie’s first year. I would have guessed 25k as it didn’t look half full. All the primo seats they’d show on TV had people, but the corners were empty.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this outdrew the rest of the conference combined.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Lack of penalties was encouraging!
Defensive personnel though - not sure about the rest of you all's thoughts.

Avalos seemed to use a 3-3-5, it just puzzles me why he would do that when we have such a talented and deep group of LB's for the first time in a very long time. Might have trouble stopping the run with just 6 guys in the "front 7"?
In my opinion CB is one of the thinnest positions (with DT) on the entire team so not sure it makes a ton of sense to do that....
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

ducks5ever wrote:Lack of penalties was encouraging!
Defensive personnel though - not sure about the rest of you all's thoughts.

Avalos seemed to use a 3-3-5, it just puzzles me why he would do that when we have such a talented and deep group of LB's for the first time in a very long time. Might have trouble stopping the run with just 6 guys in the "front 7"?
In my opinion CB is one of the thinnest positions (with DT) on the entire team so not sure it makes a ton of sense to do that....
He's probably just matching personnel and would go with a traditional 3-4 against a pro style offense. It just doesn't make sense to have the extra LB on the field against most of the Pac12 teams.