Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: New DC - Boise State’s Andy Avalos

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

So, coach Avalos wants to employ multiple fronts, a killer mentality, and high aggression, while essentially doing what our D did in the bowl game, on a more sophisticated and intelligent level?

I can live with that...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

woundedknees wrote:So, coach Avalos wants to employ multiple fronts, a killer mentality, and high aggression, while essentially doing what our D did in the bowl game, on a more sophisticated and intelligent level?

I can live with that...
Is it just me or does every DC says almost the exact same thing?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The 4-3 DT versus 3-4 is not what most here are talking about.

There was a lot of 4-3 run in the Pac-12 last year as sub packages on passing downs, but in reality it was more of a 2-4-5 or 2-3-6. Most of the teams doing it weren't using any true DT or NT personnel in the package at all. They pulled their bigger interior linemen and used pass rushing DEs as DT's then used OLBs as the DEs and usually they were standing. A quick glance based on where they lined up would look like a 4-3 and I heard it called 4-3 but it was speed personnel and 2-4 by both personnel and hands up versus to the ground.

UW had tremendous success with this over the last few years and Oregon, USC and others now use it. Avalos is big on his Stud (Hollins) OLBs and uses them to create his Multiples but no matter what he calls it, an outsider looking at it would say its a 3-4 base and very similar to USC, UW and last years UO.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
woundedknees wrote:So, coach Avalos wants to employ multiple fronts, a killer mentality, and high aggression, while essentially doing what our D did in the bowl game, on a more sophisticated and intelligent level?

I can live with that...
Is it just me or does every DC says almost the exact same thing?
YES

(Except Hoke who actually did run a Jurassic 4-3 base.)