Senior

Poll for new DC hire

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

How good of a hire is the new DC.
Alan
Senior

Re: Poll for new DC hire

Post by Alan »

I voted but it's way too early to give him any serious grade. I like his resume very much including his youth and drive........ but then again I liked the Hoke hire when he was hired........ how quick the tide changed!
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

We shall see, I think it may depend on what kind of scheme he wants to run. Depth isn't as big of an issue as it was when Hoke tried changing it but a lot of the quality depth is going to be Freshman this coming season.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

This poll would be better if we waited for some body of work results. Like, say after 3-6 games...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote:This poll would be better if we waited for some body of work results. Like, say after 3-6 games...
That would have results to base a vote on; but it would be a completely different question. This being the hire itself there is room for consideration.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

on paper it looks like a good hire.
after a years sample lets see how the defense grows as the year goes on.
lets see how they make adjustments during games.
then have this poll again.. i suspect it will be different.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

I voted average because it’s too soon to know and there was no option to select “Don’t Know”
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I would vote don't know. I do not have any notion whether he is good or not. I was hoping would get a feeling what fans think. People were excited with Levitt when he was hired. I am not getting the same kind of enthusiasm with this hire. I also thought would be hoping for someone with resume of recruiting Texas well. Maybe for defense that was not a huge emphasis as it was for the receiver coach.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I would vote don't know. I do not have any notion whether he is good or not. I was hoping would get a feeling what fans think. People were excited with Levitt when he was hired. I am not getting the same kind of enthusiasm with this hire. I also thought would be hoping for someone with resume of recruiting Texas well. Maybe for defense that was not a huge emphasis as it was for the receiver coach.
Would the enthusiasm be higher if Hayward had been named DC?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Merganzer wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:I would vote don't know. I do not have any notion whether he is good or not. I was hoping would get a feeling what fans think. People were excited with Levitt when he was hired. I am not getting the same kind of enthusiasm with this hire. I also thought would be hoping for someone with resume of recruiting Texas well. Maybe for defense that was not a huge emphasis as it was for the receiver coach.
Would the enthusiasm be higher if Hayward had been named DC?
I feel better about this hire than I would have if we just promoted from within.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

After watching the press conference today, it was the correct choice.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
UofDuck
Senior

Poll for new DC hire

Post by UofDuck »

I live in Boise and the fan base is very upset. They love this guy and are pissed he’s leaving. They had very high hopes he’d be the next head-coach here. I think we nabbed a good one.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UofDuck wrote:I live in Boise and the fan base is very upset. They love this guy and are pissed he’s leaving. They had very high hopes he’d be the next head-coach here. I think we nabbed a good one.
They still think he will be the next head coach there.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

karlhungis wrote:
UofDuck wrote:I live in Boise and the fan base is very upset. They love this guy and are pissed he’s leaving. They had very high hopes he’d be the next head-coach here. I think we nabbed a good one.
They still think he will be the next head coach there.
Pretty sure he will be...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I give high scores for the process of doing an outside search instead of hiring a first time coordinator. That is for the Mountain West or Oregon State or Kansas. (Exception is when the Head Coach is the actual coordinator on that side of the ball and the Coordinator's duties are Recruiter / Coffee boy).

As to the actual hire. I have yet to do a deep dive into his record. I am hoping Mario didn't over weight the butt kicking he gave us in the Bowl game and he found him otherwise worthy.

With BSU coaches I do think you have to carefully watch how they did with the few games where they played against equal or greater talent. Their overall records are padded with the bulk of their games being against teams they hold a huge talent advantage against.