Demetri Burch Transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Demetri Burch Transferring

Post by Hoagduck »

Not a shock never really found a position here.

https://twitter.com/Metrinumber8/status ... 6393314304
greenyellow

Re: Demetri Burch Transferring

Post by greenyellow »

Team is still over the scholarship limit, with the Oregonian having it at 87 while a couple others have it at 89.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Surprised he stuck around as long as he did.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Surprised Billy Gibson is still on the squad.

Who are other potential transfer. Kampmoyer? A WR?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Surprised Billy Gibson is still on the squad.

Who are other potential transfer. Kampmoyer? A WR?
Deawood Davis, maybe Darrian Felix, Florida/Taggart guys. Kind of surprised Bryson Young has stayed. He was a somewhat good recruit at the time. Might have been kind of a tweener or just didn’t progress.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

greenyellow wrote:Team is still over the scholarship limit, with the Oregonian having it at 87 while a couple others have it at 89.
Factoring in Juwan Johnson being on scholarship and the exit of Burch, I have the scholarship count at 88 (87 if Ryan Bay is relegated back to walk-on status).

Why is Sam Poutasi still on the team? Continuing to be on scholarship while simultaneously suing the university is truly a bizarre situation. There also doesn't seem to be any path for him to ever be a contributor on the field, unless he is better than I get the impression of him being based on message board chatter. I can't imagine anyone involved with the university actually wants this guy around. Hopefully he hits the road very soon.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:
Why is Sam Poutasi still on the team? Continuing to be on scholarship while simultaneously suing the university is truly a bizarre situation. There also doesn't seem to be any path for him to ever be a contributor on the field, unless he is better than I get the impression of him being based on message board chatter. I can't imagine anyone involved with the university actually wants this guy around. Hopefully he hits the road very soon.
Your Machiavellian notion of how a program should be run maybe isn't what is best. People should be allowed to have legitimate grievances without childish backlash. Not taking ownership of mistakes is rather childish, and it becomes sinister when that blame gets shifted to the victim of the circumstance.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

AshlandDuck wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
Your Machiavellian notion of how a program should be run maybe isn't what is best. People should be allowed to have legitimate grievances without childish backlash. Not taking ownership of mistakes is rather childish, and it becomes sinister when that blame gets shifted to the victim of the circumstance.
2nd
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

AshlandDuck wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
What exactly are you disagreeing with? In a thread talking about what other players may be leaving in order to get down to the scholarship limit, there is no more glaring possibility than Sam Poutasi. Categorizing his situation as bizarre is just pointing out the obvious.

Let me be clear. I am a fan of the Oregon Ducks, not a Sam Poutasi fan. I was a fan of the Ducks long before Sam ever showed up, and I will be a fan of the Ducks long after Sam is gone. That doesn't mean I have any ill will towards Sam. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he has a long, happy, productive life. However, if he isn't contributing in some way to the success of Oregon football, the sooner his long, happy, productive life continues somewhere other than Eugene, the better. Based on everything I have heard and read, he simply isn't cut out for the level of football the Ducks hope to play at. Unless his desire is to continue sucking up scholarship money as his lawsuit against the university moves forward, with little to no possibility of ever contributing to the success of the football program in any meaningfull way, then it would be in the best interest of both parties for him to decide to take his talents elsewhere. Hopefully there is a thread on this message board in the near future on the topic of Sam's departure from the team, followed up by a future thread involving the success he is having at a lower level of football.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

So I take it you're not a fan of guaranteed 4 year scholarships, eh?
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:So I take it you're not a fan of guaranteed 4 year scholarships, eh?
As with most things, guaranteed 4 year scholarships have some valid arguments for and against. Forcing schools to honor the scholarships for the long haul, while the players can jump ship for another school at any time on a whim, is certainly interesting.

In cases like Demetri Burch and Sam Poutasi, normally things work themselves out in a way that benefits both sides. Burch presumably wanted a better chance to actually see the field, so he decided to transfer. If Poutasi actually wants to play football, rather than only milk the money train, he will do the same. In the case of Poutasi, it may be harder to find a school that wants to use a scholarship on a litigious, oft-injured, ballooning lineman of questionable talent. That may be part of the answer to the question I posed earlier..."Why is Sam Poutasi still on the team?"
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:So I take it you're not a fan of guaranteed 4 year scholarships, eh?
My comment on 4 year scholarship guarantees is totally outside of Sam P’s unique situation. The guarantee is a challenge because it’s based an expectation that the student athlete will give real effort to improve their skill set during their years under scholarship. If a kid becomes disinterested and is barely going thru the motions, or becomes a semi-negative influence to the program, does the school have an obligation to keep paying his way? I’m not talking about a piss poor talent evaluation by the staff where they offer a kid who really doesn’t have what it takes but is giving his all. I know this all can become a slippery slope, but it is a case for no guarantees in my mind.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

gogreen55 wrote:
As with most things, guaranteed 4 year scholarships have some valid arguments for and against. Forcing schools to honor the scholarships for the long haul, while the players can jump ship for another school at any time on a whim, is certainly interesting.

In cases like Demetri Burch and Sam Poutasi, normally things work themselves out in a way that benefits both sides. Burch presumably wanted a better chance to actually see the field, so he decided to transfer. If Poutasi actually wants to play football, rather than only milk the money train, he will do the same. In the case of Poutasi, it may be harder to find a school that wants to use a scholarship on a litigious, oft-injured, ballooning lineman of questionable talent. That may be part of the answer to the question I posed earlier..."Why is Sam Poutasi still on the team?"
"Forcing schools to honor the scholarships for the long haul (see: 4 years), while the players can jump ship [in other words: losing a year of eligibility in an already-small window of opportunity, only to be able to go to schools on a list produced by the school and it's agents (coaches) while reps from the school can come and go with no penalty"...
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

UofDuck wrote:
My comment on 4 year scholarship guarantees is totally outside of Sam P’s unique situation. The guarantee is a challenge because it’s based an expectation that the student athlete will give real effort to improve their skill set during their years under scholarship. If a kid becomes disinterested and is barely going thru the motions, or becomes a semi-negative influence to the program, does the school have an obligation to keep paying his way? I’m not talking about a piss poor talent evaluation by the staff where they offer a kid who really doesn’t have what it takes but is giving his all. I know this all can become a slippery slope, but it is a case for no guarantees in my mind.
Didn’t Poutasi and the others almost die from over exertion? How can you question his effort in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

gogreen55 wrote: What exactly are you disagreeing with? In a thread talking about what other players may be leaving in order to get down to the scholarship limit, there is no more glaring possibility than Sam Poutasi. Categorizing his situation as bizarre is just pointing out the obvious.

Let me be clear. I am a fan of the Oregon Ducks, not a Sam Poutasi fan. I was a fan of the Ducks long before Sam ever showed up, and I will be a fan of the Ducks long after Sam is gone. That doesn't mean I have any ill will towards Sam. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he has a long, happy, productive life. However, if he isn't contributing in some way to the success of Oregon football, the sooner his long, happy, productive life continues somewhere other than Eugene, the better. Based on everything I have heard and read, he simply isn't cut out for the level of football the Ducks hope to play at. Unless his desire is to continue sucking up scholarship money as his lawsuit against the university moves forward, with little to no possibility of ever contributing to the success of the football program in any meaningfull way, then it would be in the best interest of both parties for him to decide to take his talents elsewhere. Hopefully there is a thread on this message board in the near future on the topic of Sam's departure from the team, followed up by a future thread involving the success he is having at a lower level of football.
I'm less interested in whether or not the University wants Poutasi around (I suspect not) as I am in why Poutasi wants to be on the team. If he is suing based on having his health affected by malfeasant trainers, doesn't remaining on the team undermine his own case? If he is trying to demonstrate a decline in health, it seems like a medical retirement would make more sense.

I am a little curious what it is like in the locker room with Poutasi. It seemed like most of the players who were interviewed at the time thought that he and the others had at least some culpability in their hospitalization. It will be interesting to follow Poutasi's development if he stays on the team.

Meanwhile, I don't know why Cristobal signed so many players, but I'm guessing he can count to 85 and has some kind of idea how to get there. He probably learned lots of great tricks while playing and coaching in the South.