Who can excel in the return game for us?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Who can excel in the return game for us?

Post by Duck07 »

Part of being a complete team means you bring it every game in Special Teams and while coverage units excelling are a big part of that, nothing can change a game/momentum like an amazing return and we've been seemingly lacking in that area since the days of Cliff Harris.

Does anyone have any favorites to take on that role?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Who can excel in the return game for us?

Post by karlhungis »

Seems like we have enough talent that proper coaching is the biggest factor holding back the special teams.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We don’t have an electric athlete like DAT or Braylon Addison currently. Redd is probably our quickest player. Maybe mycah Pittman.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Ugo was pretty good on punt returns this past season, and TBJ was a good kick returner if you discounted the fumbles.

But I agree, having some home run potential is necessary. I don’t know who on this team provides that. Jaylon Redd would be my choice, and the coaches seem to like Travis Dye, Delgado, and Pittman.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:We don’t have an electric athlete like DAT or Braylon Addison currently. Redd is probably our quickest player. Maybe mycah Pittman.
I like the idea of Pittman returning kicks/punts, has great hands (best on the team according to a quote from a coach in one of the practice update threads) and has the speed to take it to the house. Secure possession and then worry about scoring.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

CJ Verdell has the talent, though I might not want him taking shots in the return game if he's RB1.

Verdell, Dye, and Felix from the RBs.
Redd and Pittman from the WRs.
Holland, Stephens, and Wright from the DBs.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

People honestly don8think we have anyone as athletic as Addison on the team? If we don't, this team is in big trouble.
My list of guys who could do the job.
Wright
Redd - wasn't he the sparq champ his Sr year?
Waters if he gets into school.
Felix if he stays healthy.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Isn't Felix the obvious choice? If he has hands, thus giving him more touches without taking some away from the other RB's. Verdell and Dye are no goes as far as I've seen neither has the acceleration nor top speed you'd want in a returner. Any of the Freshman ?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

FlDuckFan wrote:Isn't Felix the obvious choice? If he has hands, thus giving him more touches without taking some away from the other RB's. Verdell and Dye are no goes as far as I've seen neither has the acceleration nor top speed you'd want in a returner. Any of the Freshman ?
Sean Dollars could be good back there.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Wright and Pittman seem like the best choices to have a chance of standing out since we've yet to see what they can do.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I've seen people say Lenoir looked good returning kickoffs.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Holland can do it but, I wouldn't have him return kickoffs as he is too valuable to the defense.

Punt returner is way more important as the rules have significantly reduced the number of kickoffs returned and muffs on punts are lost more than muffs on kickoffs. Fewer injuries on punt returns too so you can get away with using a player in the 2 deep. I vote Pittman for punt returns based on absolutely nothing, other than he seems to have good hands and lateral quickness (the Addison and Harris secret to being a great punt returner without having great speed).

Kickoff returner should be the third string guy you hate or do the fair catch thing and take it at the 25.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Kick returns have more or less been taken out of football, so it's not terribly important.

Finding a reliable punt returning for game 1 should be interesting. I'll take someone that can reliably catch in traffic and get field position over the flashy guy for game 1.

I think Sean Dollars could be it. Mykael Wright has crazy speed, but I'm not sure they've tried him there yet. Pittman would probably be good at it.