NDSU/OREGON 2020

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Re: NDSU/OREGON 2020

Post by thebootfitter »

UofDuck wrote:Fans of all schools get irrational.

I’m not sure what’s more annoying, an arrogant fan base being dismissive, or an obnoxious “little brother” fan base demanding respect.

Any Oregon fan of any amount of time has been part of a fan base that has been on both sides of that fence.

My take, we should not take NDSU lightly or we’ll be another notch in their gun belts. Conversely, NDSU needs to recognize that although we should respect them, we won’t be afraid of them. If Oregon comes out focused and ready, we will dispatch of the Bison. That attitude will be a thread though our interactions. Don’t take it personally.
Some NDSU fans have the "little brother" syndrome and demand respect and get up in arms when they don't. I don't get that. There's no point in it.

What I try to bring is a rational discussion based upon whatever evidence is available to support my points.

I wouldn't expect Oregon to be afraid of NDSU anymore than they would any other opponent on their schedule. I don't expect the coaches to take NDSU lightly, because they'll see the tape and know that they'll have to work for everything they get on the field against them just as with any other quality opponent.

However, I think as much as the coaches try to instill that idea with the players, I think the players may have trouble buying into it fully. Thinking that regardless of what the coaches say, they'll be playing a small time program and have no issues against their man. That may or may not have an impact on the game, but is certainly something we've seen before against FBS programs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:this may not come across in the best possible way in print, but why are we even spending time on this when there are three games left in this season?????

I get that its message board fodder and fun, but just seems like there are better things to discuss.

No personal attack intended and hopefully does not come across that way because that is not the intent at all.
You mean like how Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself?

I see this is as a fun opportunity to have some playful shade with our Bison friends of whom we can both have mad respect for the quality of their program while being dismissive of them at the same time, especially the proprietary algorithm which has this game being so close.
It's a game that both teams can "win" in the sense that we can still blow them out and they can still come off as a great program. It's also a game where we don't have to poop our pants as bad as we did against Indiana to lose either.
Agreed with your point about the fun opportunity to discuss. Probably more fun for us, as we only get to play the "big time" teams every few years anymore. Participate or not... It's up to each individual to make their judgment, right?

I'm sure the players and coaches aren't giving even an ounce of thought to this game and won't until its the next game on the schedule. But that doesn't mean the fans can't have a little banter.

I disagree with your point about NDSU still "winning" if we lose in a blow out. For us, a loss is a loss. Sure we get the guarantee money, which helps us as a bit as a smaller program. And it helps with exposure. But make no mistake that the team will be preparing for the game and coming into the stadium fully expecting that they can leave with more points on the scoreboard. A blow out loss would be a bit of a let down. That said.... I don't see a blow out happening.

Last edited by thebootfitter on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakesbison
One Star Recruit

Post by Lakesbison »

we don't have to talk about now, we can wait. just don't want you wimps buying out of this game!!
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

Lakesbison wrote:we don't have to talk about now, we can wait. just don't want you wimps buying out of this game!!
Ha ha! I do have to chuckle at your persistence stirring the pot, Lakes. Facebook, Bisonville, here... where else are you propagating the rumor?

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

thebootfitter wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:we don't have to talk about now, we can wait. just don't want you wimps buying out of this game!!
Ha ha! I do have to chuckle at your persistence stirring the pot, Lakes. Facebook, Bisonville, here... where else are you propagating the rumor?

Obviously he's not bright enough to realize that our AD scheduled you as an opponent for a reason - because the bigger schools haven't wanted to play us either. I want to say that originally we were supposed to be playing Texas AM or Georgia before we ended up with OSU as our marquee game. There was a period where it was getting tough to schedule games before the playoff format came out.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/duc ... -why-ducks
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Why does this thread exist?
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

StevensTechU wrote:Why does this thread exist?
Because for NDSU fans, it's all we have to help us feel like a "big time" program, man! Throw us a frickin' bone here! [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Duck07 wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

Obviously he's not bright enough to realize that our AD scheduled you as an opponent for a reason - because the bigger schools haven't wanted to play us either. I want to say that originally we were supposed to be playing Texas AM or Georgia before we ended up with OSU as our marquee game. There was a period where it was getting tough to schedule games before the playoff format came out.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/duc ... -why-ducks

Texas AM, Georgia? Never heard of them.

Oregon will pay Southern Utah $500,000 :lol:

Ducks will receive $350,000 from Wyoming. :lol:
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

StevensTechU wrote:Why does this thread exist?
Giving you a chance to make some money. The GAM is up $1,935 this season. Chances are odds makers won’t completely understand this game. we got 45 points from 5 Dimes when we beat the Gophers. That was the Granddaddy of them all but they were still willing to give us 14 against Iowa.

I suggest keeping your eye on the straight up Bison win next year. It could be something like $100 to win maybe $10000. We will have to see. For one game this year you had to put up $83,500 on the Bison to win $100 straight up. If I remember correctly the Bison covered 31 in that game. We took the Bison to cover.

I believe that week Montana played here. The Griz did a nice job on defense forcing a lot of punts. Unfortunately they didn’t have the personnel to respond effectively on offense. NDSU won’t have that problem. Reminds me of Some guy from Iowa that was supposed to eat his hat if The Bison rushed for 300 yds against them. They easily busted through that but hat guy disappeared. I don’t make friendly wagers with fans any more. 5 Dimes pays automatically.

The only thing bothering me is Trey Lance our QB. He will be a Sophomore. The Sophomore Slump is on my mind.

That 6 point gap should close this week because of the Oregon bye and a Southern Utah type game for The Herd with Western Il.

GAM: NDSU -29; O/U 51; Mythical score NDSU 40-11
5 Dimes: NDSU -43.5; O/U. 56.5

GAM shows true strength. 5 Dimes wagering sentiment. The GAM is saying NDSU to win but won’t cover 43.5. Total score will be under 56.5. Route factor all Bison.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

NT
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

This thread reminds me of walking my dog. I have an 85lb American Bully, and the neighbors Chihuahua goes crazy everytime we walk past their house. Well this Chihuahua is so small, that somehow it fit under our fence, and it was running around in my back yard doing whatever. I had no idea, but my dog is acting like he needs out, so I let him outside. Next thing I see is this crap talking Chihuahua, who is super secure when he has a fence in between him and my dog, is whining and running right for the fence before my dog even gets off the porch.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

buckmarkduck wrote:This thread reminds me of walking my dog. I have an 85lb American Bully, and the neighbors Chihuahua goes crazy everytime we walk past their house. Well this Chihuahua is so small, that somehow it fit under our fence, and it was running around in my back yard doing whatever. I had no idea, but my dog is acting like he needs out, so I let him outside. Next thing I see is this crap talking Chihuahua, who is super secure when he has a fence in between him and my dog, is whining and running right for the fence before my dog even gets off the porch.
Ha ha! That's a pretty funny visual. And would probably be a valid sentiment if NDSU were Portland State or Montana or UC Davis or some other middling to decent FCS school.

In their last six games against FBS foes, NDSU is 6-0. The most recent in 2016 was a top-15 Iowa at the time. Included in that was a reigning Big 12 champion K-State team that started the year just outside the top 25, receiving enough votes to be 26th.

We may not be good enough to beat Oregon. For that we'll have to wait for the game. But this is an opportunity for you to learn a bit about the landscape of college football overall and realize you won't be playing Sisters of the Poor podunk football team. It will probably be closer to playing a middle of the road Pac 12 team. (Which is still perhaps not good enough to beat Oregon on their A-game.)

For us, it is an opportunity to see how we stack up against one of the perennially top teams in the country. We hope you have a great season this year and return lots of talent.

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Lol, first time I have opened this thread....... we have the rest of this season and the whole off season and already six pages! Doubt I will open this much anymore but it will be a little interesting to see how long this catfish thread stays here.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

Alan wrote:Lol, first time I have opened this thread....... we have the rest of this season and the whole off season and already six pages! Doubt I will open this much anymore but it will be a little interesting to see how long this catfish thread stays here.
Not sure I follow. How is this thread in any way a "catfish" thread? Either you don't know what that means or I don't. I'm perfectly willing to admit my ignorance, but I don't think anyone here is trying to lead you on by pretending they are something they are not. And certainly the NDSU team is as advertised. Care to enlighten me?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I welcome the presence of our Bovinae overlords. As long as they don't mind responses often coming days late I would be glad to converse with them here on the this thread so no one else need feel obligated.

My first question is for our forecast model generator. How does your model account for results generated by players who wont be here the next year? Do you assume that both teams are plug and play systems that will produce the same results with the replacement players as those playing this year?