Why don't we have a QB sneak package?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Why don't we have a QB sneak package?

Post by GrantDuck »

For 4th and inches. It's one of the most maddening things in CFB when I see shotgun teams line up 7 yards back to gain an inch. QB sneak has something like a 85%+ conversion rate on 4th and inches.

I get that it's a different snap, but this is big boy college football, practice the under center snap and have our 6ft 5in QB fall forward.

Wish one of the Oregon beat reporters would ask about it.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Why don't we have a QB sneak package?

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

They can not ask difficult questions. They never did with Helfrich and they won't with Cristobal. I would like one of them to ask how long we are going to accept scoring 7 or 8 points or 0 for that matter in a half. How long do we tolerate that kind of offensive game planning.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Uh...it's called the pistol formation. QB is 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage. So in the game when it was 4th and 1 if our qb was under center the defense would know we were running a qb sneak. So in that situation, with Shough in the game they knew we wouldn't pass (damn you crystal balls) and so what do we do?l Our 9 guys can block your 11. Right.... Slip a TE out on a one yard pass. The game was in my view decided on that play. We had the ball and a nice lead and we were on their side of the field and had momentum. All that changed in one play because we nutted up. They weren't afraid to have their freshman qb throw the ball in pressure situations, so why were we? Risk/Reward. The team played pretty well against a tough defense that knew what was coming in the entire second half. Too bad the old injury bug bit us in the ass at the receiver position. Ok we just have to win the rest and I think we can do it if our coaches evaluate their performance as well as the players...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

nogerO wrote:Uh...it's called the pistol formation. QB is 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage. So in the game when it was 4th and 1 if our qb was under center the defense would know we were running a qb sneak. So in that situation, with Shough in the game they knew we wouldn't pass (damn you crystal balls) and so what do we do?l Our 9 guys can block your 11. Right.... Slip a TE out on a one yard pass. The game was in my view decided on that play. We had the ball and a nice lead and we were on their side of the field and had momentum. All that changed in one play because we nutted up. They weren't afraid to have their freshman qb throw the ball in pressure situations, so why were we? Risk/Reward. The team played pretty well against a tough defense that knew what was coming in the entire second half. Too bad the old injury bug bit us in the ass at the receiver position. Ok we just have to win the rest and I think we can do it if our coaches evaluate their performance as well as the players...
Everyone knows the QB sneak is coming and can't stop it. Tom Brady runs that play every single time for the Patriots and they convert around 90%.Guy just has to get a good snap count and fall forward.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

QB sneak with a Fr who has never played a game? I've seen way to many fumbles in that situation. Now why not take the snap from under center, a D why not run right up Sewells ass? That I wish I had the answer to. Put Jordon in at FB, and run behind your very best OL.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Power I, sneak, or even a read option is better in that play. Although if coaches were super risky, they would have had Shough fake the hand of and roll out for a big gain.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Shough pulls of the fake rolls out the de reads it and tackles him for a loss. Everyone flies off the handle . "We have the best OL in the country why didn't they run it behind the best two lineman on the team?!"

Mario's damned no matter what. Guys also an offensive lineman at heart he was always going to call a play pitting his big uglies against theirs.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Houston just showed why it's not a great idea to do a QB sneak, when you never go under center.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Power I, sneak, or even a read option is better in that play. Although if coaches were super risky, they would have had Shough fake the hand of and roll out for a big gain.
I think the Ducks were screwed on this play because they thought Herbert was going to be allowed to return after the timeout. Had MC fully understood the rule, perhaps he'd have drawn up something different for Tyler. He's a surprisingly mobile runner and I would have loved to see him fake the handoff and roll out for a big gain. Hindsight tells us the Auburn D would have been caught completely flat-footed.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:
Everyone knows the QB sneak is coming and can't stop it. Tom Brady runs that play every single time for the Patriots and they convert around 90%.Guy just has to get a good snap count and fall forward.
Interesting this. In last night's game between Carolina & TB, Newton is in such bad shape that with a 1/2 yard to go for a first down, 1 & 1/2 for a touchdown, Carolina ran a Wildcat to Christian McCaffrey which did not work.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Auburn went under center against us near the goal line. They fumbled...of course they have a freshman QB...
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:
Hindsight is 20/20 but here goes...11 defenders in the box crashing down, hand off going left, with a decent fake the qb keeps the ball and goes around right end. We have a back in position to impede/block the TE who crashed down even the safety on our right side is going to the middle. One on one at best with a blocker. Shough is a good runner and probably could have made a first down. Would have taken some big balls but with 2 consecutive time outs they should have come up with something better. But then it would have taken Chip Kelly balls and I don’t know if we have those.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I'm guessing they didn't trust Hanson vs. Derrick Brown.