Montana @ #15 Oregon (Sept. 14, Sat 7:45 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Montana @ #15 Oregon (Sept. 14, Sat 7:45 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by nogerO »

rockthief wrote:Dye was open, throw was off and why is H still playing?
Poor game management. A recurring issue for Cristobal...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This game didn't make me feel any better about our offense... a week after doing what we were supposed to do against Nevada, Montana managed to bottle us up pretty nicely in the second half. Just seems like a warning sign. If Montana is able to solve our offense, then what's going to happen when we go against Arizona or Washington? And will we be able to score enough to keep pace with them?

I really, really, really, really wish that MC/Arroyo would incorporate some QB runs into our gameplans. Just a few per game! Just enough to force the D to account for him.

Hopefully, we get JJ back soon, but even then I'd still love to instill the threat that Herbert might take off for huge gains.

Thank goodness our D appears to be legit!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Montana @ #15 Oregon (Sept. 14, Sat 7:45 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by whosyourwally »

I’m really concerned about those 4th down play calls.

We set Herbert up to have to let plays develop and/or make NFL throws multiple times.

Yes, he’s capable. No, we shouldn’t do that on 4th and short multiple times in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:This game didn't make me feel any better about our offense... a week after doing what we were supposed to do against Nevada, Montana managed to bottle us up pretty nicely in the second half. Just seems like a warning sign. If Montana is able to solve our offense, then what's going to happen when we go against Arizona or Washington? And will we be able to score enough to keep pace with them?

I really, really, really, really wish that MC/Arroyo would incorporate some QB runs into our gameplans. Just a few per game! Just enough to force the D to account for him.

Hopefully, we get JJ back soon, but even then I'd still love to instill the threat that Herbert might take off for huge gains.

Thank goodness our D appears to be legit!
Why would you run Herbert against Montana and Nevada?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

My takeaways from the game, tainted by visiting Ninkasi beforehand and then having a few more at the game:

* Our run game is uninspired. I just don’t think the pistol works great unless you also have a QB run threat. Darrian Felix is now my favorite RB. I think they were resting CJ, but I’ve been saying that Felix is our best back. Sean Dollars had that nice run at the end, but I think the knock on him is that he has great burst but is missing top end speed. Cyrus should have probably played LB. Travis has his moments, but at times he looks pedestrian.

* We really need Juwan/Schooler/Pittman back. Our WRs are having a hard time getting open.

* Mase Funa and KT are going to terrorize the conference for years. I’d be okay with just blitzing Mase every time, he is so ridiculously hard to block. When he’s on the field that’s what I’m looking at.

* I hope Graham and Hanson are healthy going forward.

* Our DBs are good. Better than I could have hoped for. McKinley is the weak link. Pickett and Breeze both played well.

* We shouldn’t have to throw 42 times against a Big Sky team, but our best offense is Herbert looking downfield. I just wish he had a Samie Parker/Jeff Maehl/Josh Huff type to throw it to.

* I watched the first half of the Stanford game. We should be rolling over them for a statement game next week. Not the Stanford that used to be, they are blah and there’s no reason we shouldn’t beat them by multiple TDs.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Why would you run Herbert against Montana and Nevada?
I'd run him a few times just to show future opponents that they need to account for him, but I do get and appreciate your point... and I'm hoping they're just not running him for the sake of avoiding injury. That said, we haven't seen much evidence (this season or last) that Herbert's mobility will be featured much in the playbook, and that's why I'm concerned.

Hopefully you're right, though.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

If you watch Mario’s post game interview, he literally says JH will use his legs more now that Pac 12 play is here.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If you watch Mario’s post game interview, he literally says JH will use his legs more now that Pac 12 play is here.

That is some good news! Thank you.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

brich75 wrote:If you watch Mario’s post game interview, he literally says JH will use his legs more now that Pac 12 play is here.
Good to know. You don't need to run much to make the defense account for the QB in the read option. And when you do run a QB like Herbert the goal should be running out of bounds or sliding if you're not going to make it there. Dennis Dixon (unlike Masoli) usually ran for the first down marker and out of bounds. Andrew Luck ran once or twice a game at Stanford to establish a running threat on the read option.

That said, not running the QB is not the main deficiency in Oregon's running attack. Maybe not in the top 5.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Here's the video breakdown for the week from QB11. Rightly bangs on our running backs.

17:30 makes me LONG for Gary Campbell. WTF is Dye doing?

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/482136478
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote: That said, not running the QB is not the main deficiency in Oregon's running attack. Maybe not in the top 5.
Actually I believe it IS a major problem because of the use of the Pistol formation. Either scrap the pistol and we don't have this conversation about a need to run the QB or f'in do it already.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck07 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote: That said, not running the QB is not the main deficiency in Oregon's running attack. Maybe not in the top 5.
Actually I believe it IS a major problem because of the use of the Pistol formation. Either scrap the pistol and we don't have this conversation about a need to run the QB or f'in do it already.
Running the QB isn't an integral part of the Pistol style offense, much like taking snaps in Shotgun. That's like complaining that they need a FB to run the ball otherwise they might as well just pass every down.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

not ever running the QB out of the pistol is like us doing play action every single pass play under helfrich. At a certain point it doesn’t fool the defense. On 4th and 27 at Nebraska prukop ran play action and got sacked. Against Auburn this year and say wazzu last year, we got killed by edge rushers cause we never pulled the ball and kept them honest
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Standouts:

1) Brady Breeze was a beast against MT. Huge for us as a team to have him step it up this year.

2) JJ3 is becoming what Mitchell was for us last year. And I don't mean that he will have the productivity of Mithcell.... All I mean is that Herbert is beginning to lock on to JJ3 the same way that he did with Mitchell last year. This could be good and possibly bad. But I'm happy about it b/c that means Herbs is starting to trust at least one of his receivers!

3) Mykael was a beast as well.

Observations:
1) I really really hope that verdell gets more than 60% of the carries during pac-12 play and not 5 carries like he did last week.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Standouts:
Observations:
1) I really really hope that verdell gets more than 60% of the carries during pac-12 play and not 5 carries like he did last week.
In Cristobal's post-game presser, when asked about Verdell he seemed to indicate that we wanted to give the other guys a shot at passing Verdell on the depth chart. Seems like he's not happy with his running.

Like I've said a bunch of times recently, when all your backs are running in a way that you're not happy with, maybe you need to look at the RB coach.