Sean Dollars

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Sean Dollars

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Dollars looked like he shifted from 4th gear down to second. I’m not sure if he ran out of gas or he thought he was gone and slowed up on purpose.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Dollars looked like he shifted from 4th gear down to second. I’m not sure if he ran out of gas or he thought he was gone and slowed up on purpose.
I almost wonder if the excitement of breaking out for what would not only have been his first TD, but a highlight real one at that, got to him a little. It looked like he started to tighten up a bit; similar to a guy who misses a break away lay-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Dollars looked like he shifted from 4th gear down to second. I’m not sure if he ran out of gas or he thought he was gone and slowed up on purpose.
I almost wonder if the excitement of breaking out for what would not only have been his first TD, but a highlight real one at that, got to him a little. It looked like he started to tighten up a bit; similar to a guy who misses a break away lay-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vegas called it in
Return Of the Quack!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Do yall remember when DAT was a freshman and he got caught from behind against Nevada? :) He was pretty fast in the end.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

justducky0 wrote:Do yall remember when DAT was a freshman and he got caught from behind against Nevada? :) He was pretty fast in the end.
That was because he was focused on ball security after the LSU debacle. Once he improved ball security then he ran full speed.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The one official time I can find for Sean is that he ran a 12.08 100m during his junior year. That's... not fast.

Some comparisons-
Thomas Tyner- 10.35 (HS)
LaMichael James- 10.52 (college)
Brenden Schooler- 10.76 (HS)
Kenjon Barner- 10.82 (college)
CJ Verdell- 11.26 (HS; slower than I would've guessed, fwiw)
Sean Dollars- 12.08 (HS)
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

2018 official results for The Opening LA regional show him with a 4.8 40. Mase Funa clocked a 4.9 on a 65 degree rainy day on Fieldturf.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Hmm. For some reason I presumed him to be a quick scat back. Those times are not fast and would frankly make him a low 3 Star IMO. But I don’t watch much high school tape so maybe he’s great at cutbacks and vision with quick feet and that’s why he was so highly rated?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The Montana safety with consistent low 11 second times is faster than the average PAC-12 safety. He also ran 200 meters so he probably had more wind than Dollars. Dollars held his own for about 30-40 yards then got caught easily in the last 10 yards when he ran out of gas. He was also holding a football which slows you down, particularly when the guy behind you is a bit faster anyway.

Dollars is not that fast top end, but would have scored on anything less than 60 yards. In his career, lack of sprinter speed will have little impact on more than a hand full of plays and one of those plays is now out of the way.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:The Montana safety with consistent low 11 second times is faster than the average PAC-12 safety. He also ran 200 meters so he probably had more wind than Dollars. Dollars held his own for about 30-40 yards then got caught easily in the last 10 yards when he ran out of gas. He was also holding a football which slows you down, particularly when the guy behind you is a bit faster anyway.

Dollars is not that fast top end, but would have scored on anything less than 60 yards. In his career, lack of sprinter speed will have little impact on more than a hand full of plays and one of those plays is now out of the way.
I don't agree on the comment about 'faster than average pac-12 safety'. Maybe if you're counting the whole 3 deep for each team, but I'd say it's squarely average among starters. I listed Schoolers' time, and people weren't watching him thinking "wow this guy is fast for a Pac-12 safety.'

Regarding the 60 time, someone above posted that he ran a 4.8 40, so he's still pretty slow at short distances, too. That doesn't mean he can't be successful at this level. Kani Benoit probably ran around a 4.7, and Ka'Deem Carey ran a 4.7 at the combine and was phenomenal at Arizona. I just want to say it's basically fact that he's slow for a Pac-12 RB, and especially slow for an Oregon RB.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's always been the knock against Dollars. He would likely be a Trojan if he was faster. On the other hand, he did have by far the longest run of any RB on the day vs Montana. So maybe his higher rating is based on better quickness and vision. Given this current crop of backs, I will take someone who can get past the linebackers over someone faster who can't.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Sean broke off a ton of big yards against great competition in HS. He reaches his top end speed quickly, he just doesn’t have great top end speed.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:The Montana safety with consistent low 11 second times is faster than the average PAC-12 safety ......
I don't agree on the comment about 'faster than average pac-12 safety'. Maybe if you're counting the whole 3 deep for each team, but I'd say it's squarely average among starters. I listed Schoolers' time, and people weren't watching him thinking "wow this guy is fast for a Pac-12 safety.'
I cant believe I did this, but I used ourlads.com for depth charts of starting safeties in the PAC12 and then Athletic.net for recorded track times. I found the majority of the starting safeties had listings, 19 of 24 had Athletic.net track profiles.

Utah's Julian Blackman was the only PAC-12 Safety with a better PR than the Montana kid by .04 seconds, USC's Hufango tied him. So the Montana kid was in the top 3. Utah was the only team with 2 starters within spitting range of him.

Regarding Schooler, yes he covered ground like crazy. It was why he was able to make so many tackles despite being thrown out on the field as a late arrival true freshman with one fall camp. It's a big factor in his all PAC-12 Special teams play and why Willie poached him as a receiver over Heyward's objection.

Agree with all else you said. In Dollars pro's and con's prolonged top end speed is in the con's. You can also add Marshall and Seastrunk to your list of recent Oregon RB's with burner speed.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Track takes praftice, and if a guy isn't in love with it he probably isn't giving his all out there. Tough to make any conclusions based on a 100 score from HS.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:The Montana safety with consistent low 11 second times is faster than the average PAC-12 safety ......
I cant believe I did this, but I used ourlads.com for depth charts of starting safeties in the PAC12 and then Athletic.net for recorded track times. I found the majority of the starting safeties had listings, 19 of 24 had Athletic.net track profiles.

Utah's Julian Blackman was the only PAC-12 Safety with a better PR than the Montana kid by .04 seconds, USC's Hufango tied him. So the Montana kid was in the top 3. Utah was the only team with 2 starters within spitting range of him.

Regarding Schooler, yes he covered ground like crazy. It was why he was able to make so many tackles despite being thrown out on the field as a late arrival true freshman with one fall camp. It's a big factor in his all PAC-12 Special teams play and why Willie poached him as a receiver over Heyward's objection.

Agree with all else you said. In Dollars pro's and con's prolonged top end speed is in the con's. You can also add Marshall and Seastrunk to your list of recent Oregon RB's with burner speed.
But you definitely earned my respect (like that means anything) with the research.

Admittedly, I was thinking Pac-12 free safeties, not including strong safeties. Brady Breeze and Nick Pickett wouldn't touch an 11 second 100m, and are definitely more in the 12.0 range. I would guess Holland is closer to that 11 second mark.

Another data point to add- Kani Benoit, whose strength was his vision and cutback ability not his speed, still ran an 11.04.