Sean Dollars

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Sean Dollars

Post by Phenom »

Cyrus might have more size but CJ has more power and is tougher to bring down.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

If you want size for size's sake, Jayvaun Wilson can put more mass on his frame than any of these guys.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

StevensTechU wrote: You can make the argument that small guys have a tougher time against 'big, physical' defenses, but so do slow guys. Royce struggled against Ohio State because he didn't have top-end speed. His size didn't help him.
Just to follow up-

Royce against Ohio State: 10 carries, 22 yards (2.2 avg)
Royce against Florida State: 12 carries, 44 yards (3.7 avg)

Was it the offensive line? No. Here was Thomas Tyner's line in each game.

Tyner against Ohio State: 12 carries, 62 yards (5.2 avg)
Tyner against Florida State: 13 carries, 124 yards (9.5 avg)

"Mass" is such a ridiculously over-simplistic way to try to predict the success of a running back.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Freeman, and all our current backs, lack real explosiveness. It’s largely why 5’8 190lb Phillip Lindsay is twice the NFL back 6’ 238lb Freeman is. Regardless of size, if a guy runs hard and has some natural explosiveness, he’ll be good. Especially in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Overall, our backs are average for a variety of reasons.

Areas of Improvement for all of them:
- Vision
- Cutback ability (See a hole w/a quick cut and burst)
- Quickness
- Active feet/legs to avoid low arm tackles

LMJ was elite level at all of those things which is what made him an All-American. I give credit to our coaches and players that we don't dance around and we avoid negative plays. I do think there's room for improvement for sure though.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Freeman, and all our current backs, lack real explosiveness. It’s largely why 5’8 190lb Phillip Lindsay is twice the NFL back 6’ 238lb Freeman is. Regardless of size, if a guy runs hard and has some natural explosiveness, he’ll be good. Especially in college.

Verdell has been the only that has shown explosivenss out of the backfield this year.

Not sure why he ran the ball only 5 times last week.

1 - Verdell
2 - Dye
3a - Dollars
3b - Cyrus
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

dd10snoop28 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Freeman, and all our current backs, lack real explosiveness. It’s largely why 5’8 190lb Phillip Lindsay is twice the NFL back 6’ 238lb Freeman is. Regardless of size, if a guy runs hard and has some natural explosiveness, he’ll be good. Especially in college.

Verdell has been the only that has shown explosivenss out of the backfield this year.

Not sure why he ran the ball only 5 times last week.

1 - Verdell
2 - Dye
3a - Dollars
3b - Cyrus
Verdell hits the whole hard and fast but lacks the vision to hit gaps that open up. As to why he didn't play i believe Mario said he was a bit banged up so he sat him to rest him up.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I only want Dye as the third back. He does some things better than our other backs but he almost always goes down on first contact.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

We just dont have that back with the "it" factor. Someone like LMJ or Barner. They hit that gap
and your saying to yourself "he's gone". I just dont see it right now. Even Freeman when he got in
the open he would get those extra yards by running over people, and could run by them.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
StevensTechU wrote: You can make the argument that small guys have a tougher time against 'big, physical' defenses, but so do slow guys. Royce struggled against Ohio State because he didn't have top-end speed. His size didn't help him.
Just to follow up-

Royce against Ohio State: 10 carries, 22 yards (2.2 avg)
Royce against Florida State: 12 carries, 44 yards (3.7 avg)

Was it the offensive line? No. Here was Thomas Tyner's line in each game.

Tyner against Ohio State: 12 carries, 62 yards (5.2 avg)
Tyner against Florida State: 13 carries, 124 yards (9.5 avg)

"Mass" is such a ridiculously over-simplistic way to try to predict the success of a running back.
Much better to focus on the E side of the equation :mrgreen: . While I'm being funny its also true and it helps explain why a little guy like LMJ was an effective inside runner despite his M because his C was so high. Where do the biggest hits on the field come from? Usually from a Safety that has built up 4+ steps. Whatever the size though, a RB must have quick feet.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:
Much better to focus on the E side of the equation :mrgreen: . While I'm being funny its also true and it helps explain why a little guy like LMJ was an effective inside runner despite his M because his C was so high. Where do the biggest hits on the field come from? Usually from a Safety that has built up 4+ steps. Whatever the size though, a RB must have quick feet.
Wow, I remember LaMichael being fast, but I didn't realize he was that fast. :lol:
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I feel like you could flop our running back depth chart, and we'd be just as good. I think Cyrus and Dollars could be running just as good as CJ or Travis at this point..

While I get your point, I just don't understand the love people.have for Cyrus. Imho, he isn't a pac 12 quality RB. I feel.like he only plays over SD right now, just because he's put in the time here. But if CJ and Dye went down, SD would be the starter.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I’ve watched Dollars get run down 10 times now, I can’t decide if Dollars is slow or that guy for Montana was really really fast!?!?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Jeremiah Johnson would tear it up with this O-line...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

brich75 wrote:I’ve watched Dollars get run down 10 times now, I can’t decide if Dollars is slow or that guy for Montana was really really fast!?!?
That Montana safety ran just over a 11 second 100m in high school. That's probably average for a Pac-12 safety. He's not slow, but a Pac-12 running back shouldn't be getting caught from behind by him.