Our D

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Our D

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Is really good. We have so many talented players. Never thought I'd see a day where our defensive talent was better than our offensive skill position players.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
brich75
Senior

Re: Our D

Post by brich75 »

We will win the pac this year and it will be because of the D
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

We are a defensive football team this year ... starting to feel like 94 again!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Perhaps the best part of our defense is how young they are, in a couple of years Oregon may have the best defense in the nation.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Man if our offense can get healthy at WR at the right time the Pac better watch out. Hopefully we can keep improving, gotta think we are getting noticed by some of these top defensive recruits.
Return Of the Quack!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Probably. I'm holding off on any big statements until after the UW/Wazzu/USC stretch.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The D hasn't allowed a first half TD in 5 straight games now.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I never thought I would say this, but I am more worried about Cal than Stanford. We better get Pittman and Johnson back before the Cal game because their secondary is really good. It will be like Auburn all over again where we can’t get anyone open.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Looks good, but I think I'll wait until we play some more games before annoiting them "Gang Green". Game management issues again leave a sour taste. :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

The 28 points the D allowed versus Auburn were not good. I hope the O and D from that game were just first game outliers and that they both improve against teams that are better than Nevada or Montana.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

rockthief wrote:The 28 points the D allowed versus Auburn were not good. I hope the O and D from that game were just first game outliers and that they both improve against teams that are better than Nevada or Montana.
Auburn destroyed the TOP in the second half with running a fast paced offense. While the defense could have been better the offense left them out to dry in the second half. If the coaches didn’t go super conservative in the second half Auburn scores 13 that game, maybe 16.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
rockthief wrote:The 28 points the D allowed versus Auburn were not good. I hope the O and D from that game were just first game outliers and that they both improve against teams that are better than Nevada or Montana.
Auburn destroyed the TOP in the second half with running a fast paced offense. While the defense could have been better the offense left them out to dry in the second half. If the coaches didn’t go super conservative in the second half Auburn scores 13 that game, maybe 16.
I don't think we went conservative, I just think we couldn't find ways to move the ball.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
I don't think we went conservative, I just think we couldn't find ways to move the ball.
Arroyo even admitted before the Nevada game he should've aired it out to the receivers more. They kept running the same conservative pass plays where receivers go 3 yards and out. It's not like Auburn was pressuring Herbert constantly, OLine gave the passing game time. I get that Oregon WR's weren't at full strength, but with some misdirection, no doubts guys like JJ3 would get open downfield. Heck they did in the first half, so I'm sure they could've in the second half. I know people bring up Auburn's second half strategy to press with the CB's, but it's not like Malzahn gave them some of Michael Jordan's Secret Stuff during halftime to suddenly make them unbeatable. Arroyo and Cristobal absolutely went conservative when they were up 20-6, and while the loss wasn't 100% on them, they certainly deserve some blame.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Again, I'm in wait and see, but I wanted to simply add what a terrific defensive staff we have.

-Heyward is a top tier safeties coach who will be a DC somewhere very soon.
-Big Joe has gotten solid play out of guys like Carlberg and Gary Baker. Only complaint is he needs to land a top tier DT recruit at some point.
-Coach Dante, man we thought he was just a recruiter, but the DB's are the most improved unit on the team during his tenure
-Coach Wilson has helped us with the stemming stuff and Niu/ISM have taken their games to another level this year

-Coach Avalos has all the units working together very quickly. There's been a couple small mistakes in pass coverage by linebackers, but outside of that, we're playing mean, aggressive, defense. We're TEACHING it well enough that guys like Funa and Kayvon can play right away. How many times do you see things happen where a freshman is out of position? All the time. Against Auburn, Funa was just waiting, disciplined for the reverse.

It does not look like we're in the 1st year of a brand new scheme.