#13 Oregon @ Bye (Sept. 28)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: #13 Oregon @ Bye (Sept. 28)

Post by Greenblood »

Some MC quotes from today as tweeted by Moseley:

Mycah Pittman practiced today, Mario Cristobal said.

Cristobal said center Jake Hanson is full-go this week after missing the game at Stanford.

MC said Juwan Johnson remains in a "day by day" situation: "There is no setback; it has not worsened. It's just not quite there."

Cristobal was asked about how the Ducks have been running the ball through four games: "We're off. We are. We're out of sync a little bit. ... We know it's not good enough. That's what we're working on in the bye week and we hope we have better results going forward."

Cristobal said coaches were on the road recruiting right after the Stanford game, back in Eugene for midweek practices — Ducks were in full pads today, and will be tomorrow — and then will head back out to recruit again.

More on the run game: "We've done it before. And we've been good at it before. We've got to get back on track." Said he's seen positive signs in the practices this week, that the young backs are responding to coaching.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Interesting quotes about the running game. I'll take it as a sign that the RB's are running with poor vision rather than it being a product of poor coaching and they're trying to fix that. Let's just hope that's the case!

So regarding Pittman practicing, is that limited practice or will he be ready for the Cal game?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Pittman was in a no contact jersey and Schooler will be back next practice. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Pittman.

On the RBs he also talked about timing and getting to the hole at the right time. Mentioned CJ and Travis being young, no mention of Felix.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

It’s good that Cristobal addressed the running backs issue but the concerning thing is Verdell and Dye were pretty great last year as true freshman. We were a couple hundred yards and some change away from having two thousand yard rushers. This year neither of them looks like they’ll be even close those numbers despite having a better offensive line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I just watched the Stanford game again and the timing could be the answer. I watched the o line open holes time after time (not always Stanford isn't a wimp) and the holes were there just the back was too late or too early. On one I saw P Sewell (sp?) cream a linebacker into the safety that left the whole side of the field open but the back was late to the hole and had his feet swept out from under him. Another time the defense had done a great job of plugging the middle but the back was too early. If he had just a little more patience he would of seen the right side was completely naked except a linebacker that had our tight end manhandling him out of the way.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

There were also times if Herbert kept the rpo he would have had 10 or more yards at least a couple of times. Stanford and the rest of the Pac 12 not stupid. They do not have to account for Herbert to keep and take off and run on running plays. They can just focus on keeping eyes on running back. That is far to predictable if fans know it. You have to believe if fans know it then then opposing defenses know it. Makes defending the run easy, just follow the running back and he will take you right to where the ball is on running plays.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Something tells me that Herbert starts keeping it more when the games matter or are more up for grabs

(E.g. it was the thing that led to the Auburn fumble)

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

chapelhillduck wrote:Something tells me that Herbert starts keeping it more when the games matter or are more up for grabs

(E.g. it was the thing that led to the Auburn fumble)

Even if he only runs a couple of times, it will keep the defense honest and may
open up the run game more...
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Tyson Alger of The Athletic says he expects Juwan Johnson to be back after the bye, with a chance of Schooler and Pittman.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Garbers out with a shoulder injury. Ground it into the turf pretty good. Don’t like to see injuries on anyone or any particular team. He doesn’t play, there is ZERO reason the Ducks shouldn’t win.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Garbers out with a shoulder injury. Ground it into the turf pretty good. Don’t like to see injuries on anyone or any particular team. He doesn’t play, there is ZERO reason the Ducks shouldn’t win.
ZERO reason Ducks shouldn't win if he does play. Our scariest games will be USC and UW. USC wins the south and UW or Ducks win the north. USC defeats UW today and we are in great shape. We beat Cal 21-10, 35-10 if Rbs get it together.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

After seeing Cal yesterday: they are going to get steamrolled in Autzen. Our defense is going to feast on them.

Evan Weaver is a heck of a player. Oregon was late in his recruitment, I remember making him an edit because he was excited about the offer and then he committed to Cal a few days later. Him and Colin Schooler would have been nice.

But yeah, Cal is going to get smoked like they’re in Cliff Harris’s car circa 2011.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Don't be looking ahead to next game though. I don't think Oregon will, but never want to overlook an opponent. Take it one game at a time.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:It’s good that Cristobal addressed the running backs issue but the concerning thing is Verdell and Dye were pretty great last year as true freshman. We were a couple hundred yards and some change away from having two thousand yard rushers. This year neither of them looks like they’ll be even close those numbers despite having a better offensive line.

They had the same issues last year.