Cal @ #13 Oregon (Oct. 5, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Cal @ #13 Oregon (Oct. 5, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Post by karlhungis »

alxtw wrote:Does anyone know where I can watch replay of the game online? Any similar sites to that old Noonkick webiste?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Arroyo’s biggest problem is fans assume Herbert is mostly perfect, and every mistake or lack of offensive production is a result of poor play calling. The reality is Herbert still has significant flaws in his game and makes a lot of mistakes, especially for a 4 year starter. If he decides to bounce the ball off of Weavers helmet, instead of hitting a wide open Johnson over the middle for an easy 1st down, that’s not Arroyo’s fault.
This is a great point, and you're definitely correct about Herbert's flaws.

That said, Herbert is an incredibly talented QB and his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. My biggest problem with Arroyo is that his playcalling does not put Herbert's talent and athleticism to full use. I almost feel as if we're using Herbert -- a great QB -- as a decoy to establish a running game manned by two decent RBs. It's like we're hoping that the threat of Herbert throwing might open up the run game... or something.

It would be like the Lakers running their offense through Kyle Kuzma and settling for Lebron/AD getting their touches only when Kuzma gets double-teamed. (Which would never happen.)

Anyway... Arroyo isn't a BAD playcaller. We've all seen worse! He's just kind of "meh." We need an Avalos on that side of the ball or we're going to have a rough time beating elite teams. If his offenses can't put up better numbers with Herbert under center, then I don't see why we should ever expect significant improvement.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I’m guessing they have an agreement with Herbert to not run him and risk him getting hurt. Probably something talked about before he returned this year. The announcers alluded to it during the broadcast.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

karlhungis wrote:
alxtw wrote:Does anyone know where I can watch replay of the game online? Any similar sites to that old Noonkick webiste?
Many thanks!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The two good things we can all take away from the game.
1- we scored 17 in the second half, so we can't complain about adjustments.

2- Herbert lead a 2nd half comeback.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:The two good things we can all take away from the game.

While these are both true, the second half adjustment was "don't turn over the ball". Even I could have made the call on that adjustment.

I actually thought the offense minus turnovers was more inventive (except that cute little TD play), in the first half than the second.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:The two good things we can all take away from the game.

While these are both true, the second half adjustment was "don't turn over the ball". Even I could have made the call on that adjustment.

I actually thought the offense minus turnovers was more inventive (except that cute little TD play), in the first half than the second.
Because that’s the current mindset of the offensive coaches, go into turtle mode in the second half. Oregon Turtle Stampede.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine