Cal @ #13 Oregon (Oct. 5, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Cal @ #13 Oregon (Oct. 5, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Post by GrantDuck »

Arroyo has been better this year and he was not bad tonight...but, he always has at least one WTF?!? play call. Tonight was an out to our 5ft 8in WR on 4th and 2. That is not an ideal route for that player.

More frustrating is we still can't run the ball for 2 friggin' yards in short yardage.

Anyone have ANY idea why Darrian Felix doesn't get more carries? Mind boggling to me. Does he fumble a lot in practice or something?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

We are going to miss Cumberlander in the running game on defense. He's our strongest guy when it comes to setting the edge. Prayers to that kid. Worked his ass off to be a starter as a senior.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GrantDuck wrote:Arroyo has been better this year and he was not bad tonight...but, he always has at least one WTF?!? play call. Tonight was an out to our 5ft 8in WR on 4th and 2. That is not an ideal route for that player.

More frustrating is we still can't run the ball for 2 friggin' yards in short yardage.

Anyone have ANY idea why Darrian Felix doesn't get more carries? Mind boggling to me. Does he fumble a lot in practice or something?
I believe I saw last week that Felix was banged up again.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:Arroyo has been better this year and he was not bad tonight...but, he always has at least one WTF?!? play call. Tonight was an out to our 5ft 8in WR on 4th and 2. That is not an ideal route for that player.
I agree with but if Herbert is more patient he has Johnson wide open for a TD.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I've been critical of Arroyo, and still think we could do much better, but tonight's game could have easily been a 35-0 blowout. We need to improve but I felt better about tonight's game than I did the Stanford game.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Great atmosphere tonight, I’m hoping to have my voice back tomorrow.

This defense is ridiculous. Great games by ISM, KT, Troy Dye, Jordon Scott, Graham, Holland. Lenoir needs to look back more. Modster wasn’t that bad, his ability to roll out and take off helped Cal.

People are going to complain about Arroyo. He didn’t fumble twice or drop the passes. Travis’ fumbles were costly, but I’m more upset with JJ3 not finishing the TD catch that led to a missed field goal, and Redd not catching it on 3rd and 2 that led to the next play where we turned it over when Justin tried to hit him again when the TE was wide open.

We ran the ball decently, and Arroyo tried to mix in some trickery. Running it up the middle starts to get frustrating when it’s not working. Felix has to be injured or in trouble, he should have been out there.

Overall, sloppy. Left a lot of points on the table, it could have easily been 35-7. You’ll lose games by missing on those opportunities.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I've been critical of Arroyo, and still think we could do much better, but tonight's game could have easily been a 35-0 blowout. We need to improve but I felt better about tonight's game than I did the Stanford game.

Do you feel better about the Stanford game now that they held UDumb to 13, and their 3rd string O moved the ball at will on the husky D?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Do you feel better about the Stanford game now that they held UDumb to 13, and their 3rd string O moved the ball at will on the husky D?
Not really. The UW/Stanford game seems like an anomaly when you look at each team's outcomes this season. Stanford has given up a lot more points than it usually does, and its ground-and-pound is simply not where it has been in decent years. It's bizarre that last night's UW/Stanford game unfolded the way it did.

But if Stanford strings together a few more impressive wins like that then obviously I'd be forced to reevaluate my feelings. Until then, last night's game is basically a piece of anecdotal evidence that stands apart from observable trends.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I guess I’ve just been spoiled by the offense of old and should take a win no matter how it gets done, I just personally feel that even when the offensive was successful yesterday, it never felt like things went smooth and that there was a solid rhythm and flow to the offense. Everything felt difficult and it felt like the offense was very predicated by how successful they were on first down, which is harder when a lot of first downs were predictable and vanilla running plays. I just still feel like the offense is missing a solid vision and strategy and think the offense could bring in someone to help with that WITHOUT firing anyone. The offense has some great talent outside of RB with the WR’s finally healthy. Just think they’re capable of better than what we’ve seen from them the last two seasons.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Obviously the score -- other than the fact that the Ducks ended up with more points than the Bears -- was not what we had hoped for at home coming off a bye week against Cal. But I don't think anyone could have anticipated the Ducks' shooting themselves in the foot over and over again either. I doubt that will continue. Other than that, I thought the offense played reasonably well against a good defense. 400 yards of offense usually translates to a good four TDs or so.

Amazing to think that, arguably, the Duck D has effectively "won" each of the Ducks' two conference games so far this season.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

The D is outstanding. The O needs work but I would not be saying that if there had been no turnovers. And dang those penalties! The missed QB reads are worrisome especially when Herbert missed open receivers and threw into crazy coverage. He gets stuck on a receiver and that is that. We won. Washington lost. Good. Improvement on O is essential.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

In the new AP Poll, Oregon remains at #13, right behind #12 Auburn. Utah is #15, ASU is #18, Washington...dropped out. https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/polls
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Arroyo’s biggest problem is fans assume Herbert is mostly perfect, and every mistake or lack of offensive production is a result of poor play calling. The reality is Herbert still has significant flaws in his game and makes a lot of mistakes, especially for a 4 year starter. If he decides to bounce the ball off of Weavers helmet, instead of hitting a wide open Johnson over the middle for an easy 1st down, that’s not Arroyo’s fault.

If you take away even just two of those TOs we likely have another 14 points on the board and the offensive performance looks a lot better. Though I don’t think it would slow down the Arroyo opponents a bit as perfection seems to be the baseline of their expectations ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Does anyone know where I can watch replay of the game online? Any similar sites to that old Noonkick webiste?