OL Justin Johnson medically retires

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

OL Justin Johnson medically retires

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like RS FR OL Justin Johnson is medically retiring due to multiple injuries that have sidelined him for most of his time in Eugene. Opens up another scholarship for the 2020 class but it also takes away another OL who could have helped replace all the graduating SRs.
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... UAXd5glDH0
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: OL Justin Johnson medically retires

Post by StevensTechU »

Really sucks. His talent out of high school was comparable to that of Steven Jones, who we've seen is a stud (presently and in the future). I hope his academic and other pursuits take him far.

Of that heralded class, Penei is a star, Jones is a future starter, Johnson is retiring, Jaramillo is a future rotation player, and remains to be seen whether Randazzo will see the field. That's not bad, but probably need to hit on a little bit higher percent of recruits to have quality 1st and 2nd strings after this senior class graduates.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Dont forget Jonah and Sala
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:Dont forget Jonah and Sala
Different class.

The reason I make note of how that class is turning out is 1) due to its number of signees, and 2) it represented a departure from previous recruiting strategies whereby now 'bigger is better' and recruitniks all praised it for how big the kids in the OL class were.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Makes sense and probably the best way to look at it.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Unfortunate. As I remember he was very enthusiastic and active in promoting the program on social media. Wish him nothing but the best.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

maxduck wrote:Unfortunate. As I remember he was very enthusiastic and active in promoting the program on social media. Wish him nothing but the best.
Totally agree. Really unfortunate for him and wish him the very best. Seems like a real quality young man.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Bummer. I was really hoping he was going to be able to contribute next year and develop like Jones has. Even dropped a lot of weight since getting to Eugene.

Next year looks like obvious starters will be Sewell with Jones and Sala since they are a listed as co-starters at RG. I've heard great things about Jonah Tauanu'u for a true frosh, and expect him to grab one of the other spots. I could see Jones moving to RT, but wouldn't put it past Jonah to take that spot either. Jaramillo looks like he has moved to C full time and I'd put money on him to beat out walk on Ryan Walk by next year once he adjusts to the position. For losing 4 starters I'm surprisingly comfortable with that starting 5 for next year, but depth is going to be an issue.

We really need Randazzo to step up. Forsyth will never be more than average due to his physical limitations. We could really use Logan Sagapolu. Of the incoming class I really only see Bass or Denis being an early contributors. Maybe Harper surprises us though, I've heard he has a real mean streak. Jeffers and Laloulu need to retool their bodies before they contribute.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, I expect Bass to start or be first guy off the bench for the OL next year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Definitely will be a step back. Outside of Penei and Jones, significant question marks remain for the rest. Jaramillo struggling to pass Walk is a bit concerning. I could see Forsyth starting along the line next year. But yea, not the 1st string talent nor the depth we've had the luxury of the last two years unless some guys can take big steps forward (Sala and Jaramillo, in particular).
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Sala is getting lots of hype. Some already think he's the same level as Warmack, just not enough to merit burning a RS over.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah, I expect Bass to start or be first guy off the bench for the OL next year.
I think Bass sort of came out of left field but the hope is he can play center...the other positions look pretty solid but we all know how depth is a concern. The center spot is the biggest question and a huge role as we saw last game where an NFL player like Throck still missed a few line calls....
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:Definitely will be a step back. Outside of Penei and Jones, significant question marks remain for the rest. Jaramillo struggling to pass Walk is a bit concerning. I could see Forsyth starting along the line next year. But yea, not the 1st string talent nor the depth we've had the luxury of the last two years unless some guys can take big steps forward (Sala and Jaramillo, in particular).
100% percent that Forsyth is starting next year. My predictions:

LT: Sewell LG: Forsyth C: Jaramillo RG: Sala RT: Jones
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
100% percent that Forsyth is starting next year. My predictions:

LT: Sewell LG: Forsyth C: Jaramillo RG: Sala RT: Jones
I think that's reasonable. Whether Jaramillo or Walk starts, that's the weak point. Obviously, the person calling out protections being the weak point isn't good.