Re: Juwan Johnson?

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pudgejeff wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
wepto wrote:He's been in the game.
Herbert missed him late on 2n10 and Huard was rather critical of it too.

Huard is really hard to listen to these days. I live outside the US, so don't have the ability to listen to the radio broadcast.
Huard was actually dead on that play. Herbert threw it into quadruple coverage meanwhile Johnson was unguarded and would’ve gotten at least 20 yards on that play. That was a very very poor play by Herbert, one that an NFL caliber QB should never make.
Damn Arroyo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, he is the QB coach and all we've seen is regression in Herbert since he showed up.
See, that’s a reasonable critique of Arroyo. Not sure if I buy it but the thought has crossed my mind.

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Regression what? He’s been way better this year.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Phenom wrote:Regression what? He’s been way better this year.
agree but there are those who in spite of the numbers will let their angst over Arroyo drive the narrative.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

So I went and looked at his stats and you’re right. He is having a better year in basically every category. I guess I’ve just payed closer attention to him this season, and as a result been more critical.

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
So I went and looked at his stats and you’re right. He is having a better year in basically every category. I guess I’ve just payed closer attention to him this season, and as a result been more critical.

A lot of credit to Jovan Bouknight.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:

Eh, for Herbert stats compared to last year sort of lie, considering half of his passes were dropped last year. I wouldn't say Herbert has regressed but I don't think he's progressed as we would've hoped this season.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

You can only teach so much. Herbert not trusting his receivers, throwing late, and crumbling under pressure are mental.

Look how much Shough has improved from last year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phenom wrote:You can only teach so much. Herbert not trusting his receivers, throwing late, and crumbling under pressure are mental.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but isn't the 'mental' side the part that can be taught?

I'd like to see Herbert try some more downfield throws as the season wears on. I could see him not going downfield as being a product of either WRs not getting open, or encouragement from coaches to take the easy pass, because he went downfield a ton in his first few years. Something's changed.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

StevensTechU wrote:
Phenom wrote:You can only teach so much. Herbert not trusting his receivers, throwing late, and crumbling under pressure are mental.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but isn't the 'mental' side the part that can be taught?

I'd like to see Herbert try some more downfield throws as the season wears on. I could see him not going downfield as being a product of either WRs not getting open, or encouragement from coaches to take the easy pass, because he went downfield a ton in his first few years. Something's changed.
Herbert's main issue is he hesitates to pull the trigger. You can teach how to anticipate things and everything else but he has to pull the trigger.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, Herbert doesn't throw his receivers open and also doesn't take chances. The latter has obviously worked in our favor this season other than one pass against Cal, but he has not thrown a single jump ball to see if our receivers will catch it.

I'm hopeful that getting Schooler and Juwan Johnson back will increase those opportunities but it is a bit frustrating to see Modster just throw it and take chances and our QB won't.

Overall though, Herbert is obviously great and it's just nitpicking but a little constructive criticism never hurt.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah, Herbert doesn't throw his receivers open and also doesn't take chances. The latter has obviously worked in our favor this season other than one pass against Cal, but he has not thrown a single jump ball to see if our receivers will catch it.

I'm hopeful that getting Schooler and Juwan Johnson back will increase those opportunities but it is a bit frustrating to see Modster just throw it and take chances and our QB won't.

Overall though, Herbert is obviously great and it's just nitpicking but a little constructive criticism never hurt.
Re watch The Auburn game. He threw a prayer of a jump ball in the end zone. Got luck and Webb beasted the DB and came down with it
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

brich75 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah, Herbert doesn't throw his receivers open and also doesn't take chances. The latter has obviously worked in our favor this season other than one pass against Cal, but he has not thrown a single jump ball to see if our receivers will catch it.

Re watch The Auburn game. He threw a prayer of a jump ball in the end zone. Got luck and Webb beasted the DB and came down with it
Fair enough, I was actually right there on that side of the endzone.

In the few plays that Juwan played last week, their Safety almost always shaded him deep for double coverage. On the interception and 1-2 other plays Johnson ran a vert route and Herbert didn't attempt it. I feel as though he should have at least taken a shot.