Rose Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Rose Bowl

Post by StevensTechU »

Let me first say that while the North is all but wrapped up, I think Utah will present an enormous challenge to win the league. In fact, if I'm a betting man, I might even favor the Utes because they have Zack Moss and we have a mediocre rush defense. But that aside.

Projections have been Oregon-Wisconsin, with Ohio State in the playoffs, but ol' Wisco dropped a game at Illinois this weekend and Penn State is the second highest ranked Big Ten team. The selection process says that Rose Bowl officials will get to make a choice for who they want (as opposed to taking who the next highest ranked team is, as other conferences do).

Because it's a choice, this seems to offer a lot of possibilities. Penn State? Maybe a Cinderella Minnesota? Whoever Ohio State beats in the conference champion game, or will the recent loss/drop in the poll take that team out of the question?

I realize nobody has the answer here, but I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a post.

Personally, I'd like Penn State or Michigan.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Rose Bowl

Post by Duck07 »

a rematch against Penn State would be cool and would 25 years after the last time we played
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Im not sold on Utah. Doesn't mean they cant beat us but other then being a tough physical team nothing jumps out when watching them.
Return Of the Quack!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Michigan won't beat Ohio State, so at 9-3 at best they're off the table.

10-2 Penn St (loss to Ohio St and 1 other game) or 10-3 Wisconsin are most likely IMO. Assuming Wisconsin loses to Ohio State both times, I think Penn St looks most likely for the Rose Bowl.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I've said it before, but my dream scenario would be 5th ranked Ohio St with 1 loss. I know a lot of duck fans don't see Oregon beating Ohio St, and I know that'd be a tough task, but that to me is the best scenario to give Oregon major momentum into future years, especially since I don't see Oregon being able to win the playoffs. I'm just so ready for Oregon to beat Ohio St in a big bowl game so I'd love that chance.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I'd prefer Penn St personally.

I think we win 7/10 times against Penn St

I think we win 2/10 times against Ohio St

Both exorcise some Rose Bowl demons and carry weight nationally.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I'd prefer Penn St personally.

Eh, hard to disagree, just the idea of beating Ohio St is so exciting to me! But beating Penn St would be a solid way to end the season.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Beating Ohio state would definitely carry more weight in recruiting and momentum into next season, but Penn state would be a fun game to watch and still have a similar effect. I see our chances being much better against Penn state. I would hate to see Wisconsin. I feel like they're overrated, even now. Their best win is against an overrated Michigan team, whose best win is against an overrated an overrated Iowa team
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I'd prefer Penn St personally.

Absolutely this; I was there and the vision of Ki-jana Carter is still a night terror.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think our chances are better with Penn State. I want to beat Ohio State as much as anyone but think we would get curb stomped by them.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think our chances are better with Penn State. I want to beat Ohio State as much as anyone but think we would get curb stomped by them.
I am really worried about Ohio State next year. We will be breaking in a new QB, they will have Fields back. At least it is at Autzen.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

wlduck wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think our chances are better with Penn State. I want to beat Ohio State as much as anyone but think we would get curb stomped by them.
I am really worried about Ohio State next year. We will be breaking in a new QB, they will have Fields back. At least it is at Autzen.
They will have some more top WRs from this year's recruiting class for field's to throw to. Are there any top QBs, who would be able to play immediately, that will be in the transfer portal at the end of this year, like there were last year (Hurts, Fields, etc.)

If not, I think its even worse that we will be playing at home and being defeated (badly) on our home field.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

alxtw wrote:
If not, I think its even worse that we will be playing at home and being defeated (badly) on our home field.
shut the front door
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Michigan won't beat Ohio State, so at 9-3 at best they're off the table.
Michigan has to play Notre Dame this week and Ohio State at the end of the regular season. They'll likely end up 8-4, though it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them beat the Irish. That would knock them out of the playoff discussion.
John 3:36