Playoff Chances

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

While I agree the Oregon needs to win those games against the SEC to call the games against LSU and this last one Auburn a neutral site game is a joke. Both games were bout 2/3 SEC fans. That is hardly neutral. It is pretty much a home game for them. Georgia and then the Texas A & M game are two examples of how the top SEC schools do not want to travel west and do a home and home with them. I think if Oregon does ever schedule home and home with them the penalty of withdrawing is substantial and must travel to Oregon first.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

I've really come to hate the, Eye Test as far as evaluating teams. "Everybody knows that ----- is one of the best 4 teams." Herm Edwards's "You play to win the games" is laughed at. But it's true. A team also plays to win its Division, Conference. There is no way, a 11-1 non division winning team should get in over a 12-1 conference champion.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Merganzer wrote:I've really come to hate the, Eye Test as far as evaluating teams. "Everybody knows that ----- is one of the best 4 teams." Herm Edwards's "You play to win the games" is laughed at. But it's true. A team also plays to win its Division, Conference. There is no way, a 11-1 non division winning team should get in over a 12-1 conference champion.
Exactly. The entire reason for the structure of conferences and champion is to give us clear choices for who plays in what post-season slot. Because everyone’s so enamored with the SEC college football has moved itself into no mans land. Now a one loss conference champion can get left out because maybe, just maybe, a one loss team who didn’t even win their division is just as good. It should t even be a discussion in the first place. If you didn’t even win your division, let alone your conference, then better luck next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Release the QUACKEN!

The Mayhem has begun!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I wonder, if Minnesota wins out and then loses to Ohio State in the conference championship, might they get in over us? They'd have arguably a better collection of wins, and an even better loss. Wouldn't be a conference champion on the other hand, and I bet the committee would like to spread the wealth if they can, but it'd be an interesting comparison.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

It will be interesting to see what happens to Penn State & Minnesota in the rankings. Minnesota will come up from 17, but Penn State might just trade places with Clemson.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Maybe I'm just ole school, but Penn and Minn have no business being ranked that high playing 9 cupcakes and one decent team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

QuackininBama wrote:Maybe I'm just ole school, but Penn and Minn have no business being ranked that high playing 9 cupcakes and one decent team.
Going in to this week, Alabama's opponents have a combined record of 27-37.421%, two with winning records. Penn State's opponents have a combined record of 39-33, .541%, four with winning records.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Doubtless we will spend the next week hearing all about how Alabama and Penn State can lose but still make it into the playoffs ahead of a 1-loss Pac 12 champion.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:Doubtless we will spend the next week hearing all about how Alabama and Penn State can lose but still make it into the playoffs ahead of a 1-loss Pac 12 champion.
Oh yes. For next week, I think LSU will be #1, Ohio State will be #2, Clemson #3 and Alabama #4.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some people need to cut the snark and not-so-subtle disses down.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

I think it’s going to be:
1. OSU
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia (if they hold on)
5. Alabama
6. Oregon
7. Utah
8.OU
9. Minnesota
10. PSU
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and hmm not sure who will be 4th. Alabama lost on their home field. Penn State lost to team outside the top 10. One could make an argument for Oregon. I do think it will be Alabama though.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

If we're being honest, Bama has absolutely no business being mentioned as a Top 4 CFB playoff team.

- No signature win
- Extremely weak OOC schedule
- Plays only 8 conference games
- Not a conference champ
- Will not play in a conference championship game
- Gave up basically 50 points and at home

But, because the system is rigged Bama being in the Top 4 will be a hot-button issues until the end of the season.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

DmoneyDuck wrote:If we're being honest, Bama has absolutely no business being mentioned as a Top 4 CFB playoff team.

- No signature win
- Extremely weak OOC schedule
- Plays only 8 conference games
- Not a conference champ
- Will not play in a conference championship game
- Gave up basically 50 points and at home

But, because the system is rigged Bama being in the Top 4 will be a hot-button issues until the end of the season.
Yes. I think that next week, Alabama will be the considered the best 1 loss team, and fall from 3 to 4. To a talking point that was going around, at halftime, Saban said flat out, that Tua's condition had nothing to do with them being behind.