Playoff Chances

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

They also take into account injuries. We are probably undefeated if half of our pass catchers aren’t out for the first few weeks.
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

I’d like to see us play Clemson. I think that’s a game we can win, and maybe it’s enough to keep top recruits on the west coast.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

We can play with Clemson and LSU, both would be close games. tOSU would be much tougher. Sewell vs Young would be epic. You would essentially have the best player from 2019 vs the best player in 2020.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Merganzer wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:The first committee rankings this week will be telling. If we’re 6th instead of 7th or 8th behind UGA and Oklahoma then I think we’re in if we win out.
Eh, I'm not so sure. Say LSU beats Bama next week and wins the SEC championship. Bama, meanwhile, wins out. Would they really put us in over Bama? Bama would have a better loss than ours and they'd have beaten Auburn, the team we lost to. Same story if you Bama beat LSU next week – a one-loss LSU's resume would look pretty dang strong compared to ours.

I think we still need help. Either a Clemson loss, only one SEC team with zero/one loss, or the winner of OSU-Penn State to lose.
One of the ESPN commentators said that if Oregon goes 12-1, their only loss being the first game to Auburn, and being the Conference champion that there is a chance that the committee would put them over Non Conference champ and 1 loss Alabama or LSU.
Not to mention we were leading Auburn 99% of the game until the last second. And we were also down with a TON of WR/TE injuries.

Obviously Bama is the better team, but going by criteria, Oregon would have a strong argument.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The first rankings come out tomorrow, between the basketball games on ESPN, probably around 6:00. I think the timing works out well for the Ducks with the SC game fresh in their minds, the Ducks will look a strong as they have all season. And next week the first domino falls, with LSU @ Alabama.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

So question...who does Oregon want to win? I’d assume Minnesota over PSU would be beneficial. Georgia losing and OSU losing would help? What about LSU bama?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckfan96 wrote:So question...who does Oregon want to win? I’d assume Minnesota over PSU would be beneficial. Georgia losing and OSU losing would help? What about LSU bama?
I think the most ideal scenario and one would be LSU winning out and Auburn winning the Iron Bowl so that the Tide have 2 losses which keeps them and the East loser out of consideration.

Then it comes down to the Conf races and with the B1G its about mayhem, especially for OSU and PSU
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:
duckfan96 wrote:So question...who does Oregon want to win? I’d assume Minnesota over PSU would be beneficial. Georgia losing and OSU losing would help? What about LSU bama?
I think the most ideal scenario and one would be LSU winning out and Auburn winning the Iron Bowl so that the Tide have 2 losses which keeps them and the East loser out of consideration.

Then it comes down to the Conf races and with the B1G its about mayhem, especially for OSU and PSU
Yep, go Gophers against PSU, the Gophers still have games against Iowa & at Wisconsin. Ohio State in the last couple of years has lost a game they definitely shouldn't. This week they play Maryland. After that, @ Rutgers. But then, Penn. State and @ Michigan. Over in the Big 12, Baylor, 8-0, @ TCU this Saturday, then home games against, Oklahoma & Texas, and end the season @ Kansas.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I do think we'd go over a 1 loss Ohio State or Penn State if we won out also. NCAA justifying a 1 loss team that didn't win their conference and played a soft OOC over Oregon/Utah winner wouldn't happen.

LSU/Bama, you have to really root for a blowout there or hope the loser somehow blows another game.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Just watching Cowherd and Joel Klatt from yesterday. Klatt is saying the playoff expanding to 8 is GOING to happen, and primarily because the Pac 12 is so dissatisfied with their lot in the current scheme that individual schools are threatening to peel off and re-align, and they will demand an auto-qualifier in the expanded format. This is the first I have ever heard about this. I'm very curious which teams he might be talking about. I grew up in the 80's hearing the 'Conference of Champions' slogan and it would be a real shame if at least the 8 teams on the coast weren't all in the same conference, even though I think Oregon would still be invited to the best party.

The Pac 12 gets regularly screwed out of the playoffs - it's become an annual thing. Even the fact that we are talking about the possibility of the LSU/Alabama loser getting in over a one-loss PAC 12 champion is unbelievably disrespectful and shows the inherent bias written into the current system. It feels like every year this is allowed to continue is more erosion of the conference, the Rose Bowl, etc. It's like having an annual trade deficit. It just can't be allowed to continue.

For those who want to hear it, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pf_-IWgB6U

The bit I referenced starts around 11:00
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If the Pac-12 wants respect then start winning big non-conference games. Hate to say it but our Ducks are a big reason why the Pac-12 doesn't get a ton of respect this season, choking away that Auburn game was a big loss for the conference in terms of conference respect. Pac-12 can't have their top teams losing to mediocre teams in other conferences and think they have a right to demand respect. Until the Pac-12 starts to WIN big OOC and Bowl games, they don't really deserve respect.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:If the Pac-12 wants respect then start winning big non-conference games. Hate to say it but our Ducks are a big reason why the Pac-12 doesn't get a ton of respect this season, choking away that Auburn game was a big loss for the conference in terms of conference respect. Pac-12 can't have their top teams losing to mediocre teams in other conferences and think they have a right to demand respect. Until the Pac-12 starts to WIN big OOC and Bowl games, they don't really deserve respect.
In the last 40 years, Oregon is 4-3 against SEC opponents.
3-0 at home
1-0 on the road
0-3 at "neutral sites"

I don't like neutral sites early in the year, honestly. I'd much rather have a home and home.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:If the Pac-12 wants respect then start winning big non-conference games. Hate to say it but our Ducks are a big reason why the Pac-12 doesn't get a ton of respect this season, choking away that Auburn game was a big loss for the conference in terms of conference respect. Pac-12 can't have their top teams losing to mediocre teams in other conferences and think they have a right to demand respect. Until the Pac-12 starts to WIN big OOC and Bowl games, they don't really deserve respect.
3-0 at home
1-0 on the road
0-3 at "neutral sites"

I don't like neutral sites early in the year, honestly. I'd much rather have a home and home.
Which SEC teams continue to back out of, on a fairly consistent basis... If Oregon did that the media would immediately hold their proverbial toes to the fire!

Wasn't it A&M that had Oregon scheduled and used joining the SEC as an excuse to bail on the contract?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

woundedknees wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
3-0 at home
1-0 on the road
0-3 at "neutral sites"

Which SEC teams continue to back out of, on a fairly consistent basis... If Oregon did that the media would immediately hold their proverbial toes to the fire!

Wasn't it A&M that had Oregon scheduled and used joining the SEC as an excuse to bail on the contract?
Both A&M and Georgia backed out of a home and home against Oregon.

And regarding that record against SEC schools, those 4 wins are against Tennessee and Mississippi St, hardly the powerhouse of the SEC. When Oregon has taken on the better SEC teams lately (Auburn twice and LSU), Oregon was capable of winning but lost, partially due to officials, injuries, and just plain choking. Oregon needs to win those games if they want national respect. You could also add other top teams like Ohio State in there. Oregon NEEDS to win those games, and so do the other top Pac-12 teams if they want national respect.