Playoff Chances

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Man, what a swing. Oklahoma's offense found its gear and Baylor never found an answer.

That result might be enough to give us control over our own destiny. Win out, and I think we're more likely than not in over Tua-less Bama or Oklahoma, though it'll still be nerve-wracking if everybody keeps avoids a second loss.
This could get tricky, it's up to Auburn again. If Alabama beats Auburn, and LSU beats Georgia in the SEC Championship, there sits 11-1 Alabama, its one loss to LSU. I can see this Committee picking Alabama for the 4th team, Tua or not, setting up a rematch with LSU.
There are so many scenarios for only two games left in the regular season, it’s nice the Ducks locked up the north although their last two game, three with probably Utah,is no cake walk. Lots of media saying Bama will drop because of Tua, including Herbie, who I respect. Bama is not a,top four with Tua. Earlier I did not think Duck had a chance, now I think if they win out they have a great shot with winning 12 straight. Big 12 will be outside looking in.
I did hear Herbie, and that was good to hear. At the end, the committee will do what ESPN tells it to do.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

One caveat to my "control our own destiny" comment: Georgia beating LSU in the SEC title game leaves LSU with a good chance of beating us out for the fourth spot. I think that's the only win-out scenario where I'd guess we're left out.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

It does hurt to say it, but we should actually want tOSU to win next Saturday and give Penn State loss #2. Georgia still has Texas A & M at home and finish @ Georgia Tech.

Barring the axis shifting: LSU is in, tOSU is in, Clemson is in. Georgia is in if it beats LSU in SEC CG. If Georgia doesn't beat LSU, winner of Oregon-Utah is in.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Oregon stays at 6.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

23. USC, this helps. 10. Minnesota drops 2 places. 9. Oklahoma up 1. 7. Utah stays in place. 6.- 1 still the same. Group of 5, 18. Memphis & 19. Cincinnati play each other, 20. Boise State could end up the G-5 team in the Cotton Bowl.

Georgia's Pollock & tOsu's Galloway point to Oregon losing to Auburn and that if Matt Jones led Alabama beats Auburn, then Oregon-Utah have to make a statement, similar to when tOSU beat Wisconsin 59-0, to jump Alabama.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I don't know if Oregon can win out - that Utah game looks pretty tough if it happens - but it is nice to see that things are shaping up such that Oregon probably 'controls its own destiny'. That's really all you can ask this time of year. Hopefully, both Oregon and Utah keep winning, and if the loser gets the Rose Bowl vs. Penn State, that's a pretty darn nice consolation prize.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I do think we're overlooking the Georgia-LSU game a bit. Georgia isn't going to be that big of an underdog, and if they win I don't see how they and LSU aren't both in.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:I do think we're overlooking the Georgia-LSU game a bit. Georgia isn't going to be that big of an underdog, and if they win I don't see how they and LSU aren't both in.
Definitely can't overlook that one, as like you said, it puts at least those two SEC teams in, and would be the biggest deterrent to Alabama, Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, making it, with tOSU & Clemson secure.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Man. I have watched Georgia a few times this year and they are a PRETENDER. They are going to get boat raced by LSU. I am 99.9% sure that situation will take care of itself.

More worried about Oregon being able to score on Utah's defense.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

northbeachsf wrote:Man. I have watched Georgia a few times this year and they are a PRETENDER. They are going to get boat raced by LSU. I am 99.9% sure that situation will take care of itself.

More worried about Oregon being able to score on Utah's defense.
That and nothing screams excitement then a possible rematch :roll: I also dont think Kirby is a very good coach.
Return Of the Quack!
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

I’d love to see Oregon beat LSU in the playoff and Utah take down Georgia in the Rose bowl. Could you imagine the reaction if the PAC12 took down the top two SEC teams.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/1 ... onest.html

The Mouth of the South does not trust Oregon’s athletic director, a man he claimed to “know” and “like” just nine days ago.
ESPN’s Paul Finebaum once again called into question the credibility of Ducks AD Rob Mullens, who is in his second year as the chairman of the College Football Playoff selection committee, but this time in far more explicit and personal terms.

“I frankly don’t know if I trust this guy being in charge," Finebaum said during his show, which is simulcast on the SEC Network. "I don’t trust him because he’s not honest, and I just think he has an influence on that committee. Maybe I should save my powder if Oregon gets in, but then it’s going to be too late.”
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

What else is Finebaum going to say? The guy makes a living as an SEC honk. He's just playing to his audience. I don't blame him at all for doing so, but in no way can he be considered an objective opinion.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:What else is Finebaum going to say? The guy makes a living as an SEC honk. He's just playing to his audience. I don't blame him at all for doing so, but in no way can he be considered an objective opinion.
Exactly. Instead of the eye test, here he's using the smell test. Both used when you have nothing else.