Playoff Chances

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by Phalanx »

At least Minnesota lost. You know they were just waiting to bump them ahead of the Ducks.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

ducksrock wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
ducksrock wrote:I don't think it makes a difference.. Ducks got beat by a team that now has 2 losses and will have a 3rd loss very shortly...(21-0 and in the 4th quarter). I just dont see where we are in a very good position... Auburn puts the screws to us again... Just need to win out and get a damn good bowl game... Seems that's pretty much all we have at this point... Bamas schedule is such that even without Tua, they are gonna continue with their winning ways..
It makes a difference because if it was the 8 team playoff described in this topic, teams would just have to take care of their conference games. What a team did to you from another conference would not figure in to it.
Yet, being a 4 team playoff, which it is, it can make all the difference..I strongly doubt the ducks will even sniff the CFP...
We're in 6th. We're sniffing.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Phenom wrote:
ducksrock wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
ducksrock wrote:I don't think it makes a difference.. Ducks got beat by a team that now has 2 losses and will have a 3rd loss very shortly...(21-0 and in the 4th quarter). I just dont see where we are in a very good position... Auburn puts the screws to us again... Just need to win out and get a damn good bowl game... Seems that's pretty much all we have at this point... Bamas schedule is such that even without Tua, they are gonna continue with their winning ways..
It makes a difference because if it was the 8 team playoff described in this topic, teams would just have to take care of their conference games. What a team did to you from another conference would not figure in to it.
Yet, being a 4 team playoff, which it is, it can make all the difference..I strongly doubt the ducks will even sniff the CFP...
We're in 6th. We're sniffing.
What it does and has done is prove over and over again, scheduling tough out of conference opponents don’t help at all if you are a power 5 school. If we played Portland state instead of auburn we would be undefeated sitting at 3 or 4 right now. .
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

That's not really true though. It didn't help this year, but if we had a loss in our conference and had beaten Auburn, that Auburn win would keep us in the conversation. Scheduling a tough OOC game is always high risk-high reward, and this year we just happened to catch the downside.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Tray Dub wrote:That's not really true though. It didn't help this year, but if we had a loss in our conference and had beaten Auburn, that Auburn win would keep us in the conversation. Scheduling a tough OOC game is always high risk-high reward, and this year we just happened to catch the downside.

I disagree, that’s what the talking heads preach but I have never actually seen it to be true in the pac. We are way better off scheduling patsies in the pre season and take out chances with the conference schedule. If it were and sec team that lost to a tough out of conference opponent that may come into play because of the bias. The way the nation views the pac 12 right now you really need to put your cards in the in undefeated basket.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Agree to disagree.

If Baylor wins tonight they'll be a real threat. They'd need to beat Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma once more to run the table – not easy, but doable. If they did that, they'd definitely get the fourth playoff spot.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Tray Dub wrote:Agree to disagree.

If Baylor wins tonight they'll be a real threat. They'd need to beat Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma once more to run the table – not easy, but doable. If they did that, they'd definitely get the fourth playoff spot.
The are looking pretty dang good right now
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Yeah I don't think anyone was expecting this. Oklahoma looks anemic, sucks CeeDee Lamb is out.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Oklahoma comes roaring back. Game is now tied at 31.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Man, what a swing. Oklahoma's offense found its gear and Baylor never found an answer.

That result might be enough to give us control over our own destiny. Win out, and I think we're more likely than not in over Tua-less Bama or Oklahoma, though it'll still be nerve-wracking if everybody keeps avoids a second loss.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Easy to say now but I’m not surprised OU came back. Baylor was clearly playing out of their minds, riding the classic gameday momentum wave. Similar to Wazzu against the Ducks last year. Those teams always blow their wad and come out flat in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Wow
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Easy to say now but I’m not surprised OU came back. Baylor was clearly playing out of their minds, riding the classic gameday momentum wave. Similar to Wazzu against the Ducks last year. Those teams always blow their wad and come out flat in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is, I think at least the 4h game this year where OK was at least 3 TD's behind. It didn't work against Kansas State, but its been their M.O.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:Man, what a swing. Oklahoma's offense found its gear and Baylor never found an answer.

That result might be enough to give us control over our own destiny. Win out, and I think we're more likely than not in over Tua-less Bama or Oklahoma, though it'll still be nerve-wracking if everybody keeps avoids a second loss.
This could get tricky, it's up to Auburn again. If Alabama beats Auburn, and LSU beats Georgia in the SEC Championship, there sits 11-1 Alabama, its one loss to LSU. I can see this Committee picking Alabama for the 4th team, Tua or not, setting up a rematch with LSU.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Merganzer wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Man, what a swing. Oklahoma's offense found its gear and Baylor never found an answer.

This could get tricky, it's up to Auburn again. If Alabama beats Auburn, and LSU beats Georgia in the SEC Championship, there sits 11-1 Alabama, its one loss to LSU. I can see this Committee picking Alabama for the 4th team, Tua or not, setting up a rematch with LSU.
There are so many scenarios for only two games left in the regular season, it’s nice the Ducks locked up the north although their last two game, three with probably Utah,is no cake walk. Lots of media saying Bama will drop because of Tua, including Herbie, who I respect. Bama is not a,top four with Tua. Earlier I did not think Duck had a chance, now I think if they win out they have a great shot with winning 12 straight. Big 12 will be outside looking in.