7. Minnesota
8.Alabama
9. PSU
10. Oklahoma
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by Merganzer »

Oklahoma did itself no favors when it, like Clemson against UNC, got the W, when Iowa St missed on a try for 2 for the win. The Sooners led 35-14 at halftime, 42-21 after 3, and won, 42-41. Next week: 8-1 Oklahoma @ 9-0 Baylor.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

bellsduck wrote:My guess
1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Oregon
6. Utah
7. Minnesota
8.Alabama
9. PSU
10. Oklahoma
I don't think Alabama drops out of the top-6. Penn State will fall back, but I don't see Oregon being ahead of Alabama. They've had a weak schedule, but so have we. If we're #6 then they'll be #5.
John 3:36
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Alabama 4, Oregon 6. They won't let Alabama fall any farther so they can get back in when someone loses. The bias in the committee is deep.
Last edited by nogerO on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think fans are a little paranoid. For good reason as we’ve always gotten screwed in the past, but I think things will be different this year. People aren’t nearly as enamored with Bama, and I really believe a win over a top 8 Utah team to end the year will vault us into the CFP. The opportunity to beat a respected top team to end the year isn’t something the Pac-12 champ usually has. It’s always something the SEC and Big10 champ does, and largely why they’re automatically in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think fans are a little paranoid. For good reason as we’ve always gotten screwed in the past, but I think things will be different this year. People aren’t nearly as enamored with Bama, and I really believe a win over a top 8 Utah team to end the year will vault us into the CFP. The opportunity to beat a respected top team to end the year isn’t something the Pac-12 champ usually has. It’s always something the SEC and Big10 champ does, and largely why they’re automatically in.

For the long term, you could be right. But for now, I see #1 LSU, #2 Ohio State, #3 Clemson, and the committee will still be enamored with Alabama enough to call it the top 1 loss team, and put it #4, Georgia #5, Oregon #6.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think fans are a little paranoid. For good reason as we’ve always gotten screwed in the past, but I think things will be different this year. People aren’t nearly as enamored with Bama, and I really believe a win over a top 8 Utah team to end the year will vault us into the CFP. The opportunity to beat a respected top team to end the year isn’t something the Pac-12 champ usually has. It’s always something the SEC and Big10 champ does, and largely why they’re automatically in.

For the long term, you could be right. But for now, I see #1 LSU, #2 Ohio State, #3 Clemson, and the committee will still be enamored with Alabama enough to call it the top 1 loss team, and put it #4, Georgia #5, Oregon #6 Utah #7
I believe this is exactly how it will be...SEC bias is strong...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bama has to lose to Auburn (or get another loss) for us to jump them in my mind.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:Bama has to lose to Auburn (or get another loss) for us to jump them in my mind.
Yes. There's noise about Conference champion meaning something. But until it becomes meaningful, winning your division doesn't even matter.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Merganzer wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Bama has to lose to Auburn (or get another loss) for us to jump them in my mind.
Yes. There's noise about Conference champion meaning something. But until it becomes meaningful, winning your division doesn't even matter.

It's fair because Bama is clearly one of the top 8 teams in America. Do the playoffs with 8 teams. 1-5 are the conference champ from each power 5 conference. 6-8 are at large. 1 seed plays the 8 seed, 2 v 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:

It's fair because Bama is clearly one of the top 8 teams in America. Do the playoffs with 8 teams. 1-5 are the conference champ from each power 5 conference. 6-8 are at large. 1 seed plays the 8 seed, 2 v 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.
It’s definitely time for an & team playoff, past time...
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:

It’s definitely time for an & team playoff, past time...
Having Alabama left out could make it happen.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It was a huge mistake to have a playoffs with less slots than there are power conferences, I’ve said that since the beginning. They definitely need to make the conference championships matter. Cause in reality, it’s all based off the eye test which is garbage. Make winning your conference matter and make the championships of each conference go against each other for a national championship. Only way this make sense. My only fear about an 8 team playoff is suddenly there needs to be a 16 team playoff, then 32, then suddenly it’s like basketball. At what point do they stop? Is 8 it? Is that enough since it should be required to give each conference champion a chance?

Also regarding weak schedule, remember Oregon has only played one team this season that is currently ranked, and they choked that game away. Oregon didn’t do themselves or the Pac-12 any favors with that bad loss. The best of the PAC-12 lost to a middle of the road SEC team. Can’t lose games like that and complain about SEC bias. It’s justified to rank the SEC above the PAC-12 considering that loss. If Oregon was undefeated like they should be then they’d be above Bama right now and we wouldn’t have to whine about SEC bias
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:It was a huge mistake to have a playoffs with less slots than there are power conferences, I’ve said that since the beginning. They definitely need to make the conference championships matter. Cause in reality, it’s all based off the eye test which is garbage. Make winning your conference matter and make the championships of each conference go against each other for a national championship. Only way this make sense. My only fear about an 8 team playoff is suddenly there needs to be a 16 team playoff, then 32, then suddenly it’s like basketball. At what point do they stop? Is 8 it? Is that enough since it should be required to give each conference champion a chance?

Also regarding weak schedule, remember Oregon has only played one team this season that is currently ranked, and they choked that game away. Oregon didn’t do themselves or the Pac-12 any favors with that bad loss. The best of the PAC-12 lost to a middle of the road SEC team. Can’t lose games like that and complain about SEC bias. It’s justified to rank the SEC above the PAC-12 considering that loss. If Oregon was undefeated like they should be then they’d be above Bama right now and we wouldn’t have to whine about SEC bias
The 8 team playoff is a necessity and I'm not worried about the ever expanding problem; because having it include the 5 conference winners takes the eye test, selecting, out of it for the most part. There would be some for the remaining 3 to fill it out. But there isn't a huge controversy now in the 9-12 range.