Schooler entering transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: Schooler entering transfer portal

Post by alxtw »

Does stanford still hold the same high acceptance requirements for transfer post grad student athlete as those for incoming freshmen student athletes? Minimum gpa ans test scores in grad school entrance exams.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Sucks to lose him but it’s probably the right choice for him. I hope he finds success wherever he goes! I’ll never forget that touchdown catch against Nebraska in 2017.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

buckmarkduck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
Phenom wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
Phenom wrote:He tried to redshirt this year and come back next year. Coach said that was not possible, no room . Per JHop

Good decision for him if he wants to get 1 more year of CFB and get his masters.
This doesn’t check out, what if he had been injured for the whole year? They just tell him no you can’t come back next year?
Yeah, he's played four years...
He would have played 3 and been injured for 1 at that point.
No. He isn't injured. He would have missed 5 games, and then played 2, then decided to sit out another 6.
Reading comprehension, I asked what if he had been injured for the whole year?Would they have then also just said too bad, we don't have a scholarship for you next year?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I think it's a fair question. I HIGHLY doubt we would have processed Schooler out at that point. I still think our coaches desperately want/wanted Devon Williams but perhaps we would have had 1 fewer scholarship to offer to a DB is my guess since we are taking a lot.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

They asked Mario about Schooler a couple of times today and he definitely did not want to talk about it. I think he was caught off guard.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Phenom wrote:They asked Mario about Schooler a couple of times today and he definitely did not want to talk about it. I think he was caught off guard.
I see both sides here, but I can imagine that Mario was disappointed that Schooler wasn't team first (since that's what Mario preaches). With that said, he probably supported because he knows that is what Schooler believes is best for him individually.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I just hope this doesn't become a common thing going forward.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

I wish him only the best. I hope that he is able to transfer somewhere that he can get the playtime at the position he wants and kills it.
Once a Duck, always a Duck!
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:I just hope this doesn't become a common thing going forward.
Nothing shouts stability like 20 year olds with egos and freedom. I don’t see the transfers slowing down anytime soon.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UofDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I just hope this doesn't become a common thing going forward.
Nothing shouts stability like 20 year olds with egos and freedom. I don’t see the transfers slowing down anytime soon.
We benefited from it just as much with: Juwan Johnson, Warmack etc. I think we will see more high level grad transfers come in as we gain stability and prestige back.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Sucks to lose him but it makes sense from both sides to be honest.
Oregon gave him all the benefits of a D1 player and he gave Oregon 3 years off his body and raised his stock some.

I don't think Oregon or Schooler got the short end of the stick at all.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I wish the best for him, he has had a tough road at Oregon. One of the last Helf recruits, asked to start at safety as a true freshman on one of the worst defenses the duck may have ever had.... No wonder he had so many tackles, no one in front of him could tackle. Switched to WR when the coaches couldn't recruit and had issues other than their job. In comes Willie and that mess, then Cristobal but with the last couple of years he has been passed up at WR by better athletes........ Should have kept him at safety! Good luck to him and thanks for sticking with the Ducks through the past mess and coaching debacles.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I definitely don’t blame MC for saying no to him RSing. It’s not like the team is having a down year; they’re in position to have their best season in a long time and a starter wants to basically bail on the season. I realize it’s become culturally acceptable to be entirely motivated by self-interest but from a coach’s perspective that has to be pretty disappointing.

End of the day, it’s too bad but I hope Schooler does well wherever he lands, and we don’t miss him too much this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
We benefited from it just as much with: Juwan Johnson, Warmack etc. I think we will see more high level grad transfers come in as we gain stability and prestige back.
It’s a whole new world now right?? In the past his redshirt would already be impossible and he’d just be a senior trying to make this last season special....now with the 4 game redshirt, grad transfers, and the portal, guys are exploring better options. I can’t say it’s bad because it does benefit the kids, but I’m a little nostalgic for how things “used to be”.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UofDuck wrote:

I don't care about transfers. I'm taking about Sr starters leaving mid season, just so he can get one more year of free school.