Offense?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Offense?

Post by ducks5ever »

greenyellow wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:We scored 37 this week and 35 last week. Over our last three games, we're scoring the 19th-most points per game in the country.

Our offense has been good. Not great – our pass game suffers from Herbert's poor field vision and middling WRs – but still good. Our defense has been much more of a problem.
Defense hasn't been the same since Cumberlander went down. They get almost no pass rush now and are considerably weaker at setting the edge on run plays.
Perhaps I've been a spoiled fan but I was expecting more from the offense. WSU is after all one of the worst defenses in the pac-12 (I know on the telecast they said the D coordinator or someone high up quit not too long ago). If Holland doesn't get the pick-6, we may very well have lost the game....
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

On the play that we run seemingly 20 times a game, where the whole OL goes left and zone blocks, you know the one that every team we play from here on out will focus on shutting down? How about Herbert fakes the handoff, pivots and comes back around the right side to either run or throw to a delayed, sneaking out TE or WR??? At least Herbert ran a few times last night. Our offense is painful to watch at times. BUT, hey a W is a W right?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Herbert did not used to be this bad (average) in the past. He actually used to make spectacular throws and ran well.
Then I looked at the staff:
Marcus Arroyo
Assistant Head Coach/
Offensive Coordinator/
Quarterbacks Coach

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

My two cents....the offense is PREDICTABLE....

There are few to no attempts at getting cheap yards or free plays from play design...The philosophy is to be stubborn. Herbert with 7 passes at the half?

They are probably getting the most out of the Oline's talents, but definitely not making the most of Herbert's talent. It seems to me that Oregon is trying to be a poor-mans Alabama from 10 years ago (pre excellent offense and QB play). Is that good enough for 10 wins regularly? Probably. Is it good enough to make the CFP regularly? I doubt it....
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

bigsugarduck wrote:My two cents....the offense is PREDICTABLE....

There are few to no attempts at getting cheap yards or free plays from play design...The philosophy is to be stubborn. Herbert with 7 passes at the half?

They are probably getting the most out of the Oline's talents, but definitely not making the most of Herbert's talent. It seems to me that Oregon is trying to be a poor-mans Alabama from 10 years ago (pre excellent offense and QB play). Is that good enough for 10 wins regularly? Probably. Is it good enough to make the CFP regularly? I doubt it....
Looking at Herbert’s pass attempts doesn’t tell the whole story. It doesn’t account for the 4-6 pass plays where he was sacked or scrambled. With the huge chunks they were getting on the ground, I don’t know how we can argue they didn’t pass enough.
Last edited by droop10 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

A little respect. That last drive by JH was magnificent. Pitman was also mauled in the end zone or we’d have 7 more. There we a few drops too. All in all, Justin had a decent game.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

shoparound wrote:Herbert did not used to be this bad (average) in the past. He actually used to make spectacular throws and ran well.
Then I looked at the staff:
Marcus Arroyo
Assistant Head Coach/
Offensive Coordinator/
Quarterbacks Coach

Yawn