Offense?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Offense?

Post by ducks5ever »

Looking at this game that we squeaked by and the prior games in the season, can someone pinpoint what exactly the problem on offense is?

OL - no issues
WR - the talent is decent there and significantly fewer drops than last year
TE - they're ok but it's not like they're a core part of our offense as of late
RB - Verdell and Cyrus aren't elite but they can do the job in the PAC-12
QB - Justin is supposed to be a top 2 QB in the draft this year

Arroyo - Some people say his play calling is fine and the players just aren't executing well enough

What am I missing? Is the offense screwed next year when Justin, an NFL QB, leaves at the end of this year (along with the OL)?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Offense?

Post by Tray Dub »

We scored 37 this week and 35 last week. Over our last three games, we're scoring the 19th-most points per game in the country.

Our offense has been good. Not great – our pass game suffers from Herbert's poor field vision and middling WRs – but still good. Our defense has been much more of a problem.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Its our defense that has become soft the last few games.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tray Dub wrote:We scored 37 this week and 35 last week. Over our last three games, we're scoring the 19th-most points per game in the country.

Our offense has been good. Not great – our pass game suffers from Herbert's poor field vision and middling WRs – but still good. Our defense has been much more of a problem.
Defense hasn't been the same since Cumberlander went down. They get almost no pass rush now and are considerably weaker at setting the edge on run plays.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

This is the least talented group of WRs and RBs that I can recall. Definitely below average for the Pac 12. That said the offense has been fine.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

QB - Justin is a good college QB, not great
RB - Average talents outside of CJ, especially lately. Cyrus was a stud last week but I still feel he gets too many carries.
TE - Very limited now that Breeland is gone. Webb is a good receiver but is lacking as a blocker. Bay and Kampmoyer aren't very talented.
OL - Great, especially as of late.
WR - Can't get open well or create separation (lack of talent) but they are catching the ball way better than the previous years. S/O to coach Bouk

Not a lot of talent at the skill positions, tbh. Offense is doing well.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:We scored 37 this week and 35 last week. Over our last three games, we're scoring the 19th-most points per game in the country.

Defense hasn't been the same since Cumberlander went down. They get almost no pass rush now and are considerably weaker at setting the edge on run plays.
Yes, pass rush has been a noticeable problem
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I do not believe any NFL people are drooling over Herbert. If there is an offensive problem it is our QB more than anything.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

rockthief wrote:I do not believe any NFL people are drooling over Herbert. If there is an offensive problem it is our QB more than anything.
This may be the worst he’s been in his entire career. I wonder what’s going on with him.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
rockthief wrote:I do not believe any NFL people are drooling over Herbert. If there is an offensive problem it is our QB more than anything.
This may be the worst he’s been in his entire career. I wonder what’s going on with him.
Not even close. He's been pretty bad before. He at least is accurate most of the time.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

He also made a handful of genuinely good throws, which people on here never seem to acknowledge. Like Phenom said, he's still a good college quarterback despite the frustrating mistakes. He's just not a great one.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

greenyellow wrote:

Agreed. We were dropping everyone back and only rushing 3 which didn't give us much pressure on the Wazzu QB. Two things on that, Wazzu generally runs quick slants and has WRs that find immediate soft spots near the LBs. The quick throws make it difficult to get pressure. I also though the absence of Dye really hurt the Ducks. His quickness and intelligence to cover were missed. A LOT of the throws were at or near Mathis. That is where Dye would have been.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Phenom wrote:QB - Justin is a good college QB, not great
RB - Average talents outside of CJ, especially lately. Cyrus was a stud last week but I still feel he gets too many carries.
TE - Very limited now that Breeland is gone. Webb is a good receiver but is lacking as a blocker. Bay and Kampmoyer aren't very talented.
OL - Great, especially as of late.
WR - Can't get open well or create separation (lack of talent) but they are catching the ball way better than the previous years. S/O to coach Bouk

Not a lot of talent at the skill positions, tbh. Offense is doing well.
Agreed. This is why I am so excited by the stock of WRs coming next year. There will be an insane compliment of size WRs and speed WRs (Hutson) and hopefully Bryant. Verdel was special yesterday, but made so because of the OL.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

OL- Overall, has been good. But the first quarter against WSU, the pass protection was not very good. On one sack they only rushed three and still sacked herbert. But the OL became alot better in the 2nd half.

QB- I think we can all agree herbert is a good but not excellent QB. So I've lowered my expectations of him and can accept that he's going to make a few awful throws, mis-reads, miss open receivers, and rookies mistakes a game. While he'll also complete a hand full of amazing throws a game. (I was quite happy that he was willing to finally rush a few times against WSU)

We're a good but not an elite defense yet. (No matter how much the media and skewed statistics want to push the elite defense story) While I'm sure Cumberlander would have helped our D, the two last games we played without him have been against good offenses. Injuries are a part of the game, and elite defenses can weather those setback and still play consistently at a high level.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't think Herbert has the tools to be a top qb in the draft. He clearly missed some passes. Last week he got happy feet and perceived was pressure and threw a bad pass, This is not what you want from a qb at the next level.

In terms of the defense, I still think the defense is good. There are a few things to keep in mind though. Against Washington, they were non existent for 3 quarters and then showed up the last quarter. The huskies lost to us last year and they were going to be up for Oregon this year. I worried about this game at the beginning of the year because it was in Seattle and they wanted to send a message to Oregon. The result was that at the end of the day, UW laid it all on the line and played a pretty good game but we shut them down in 4th quarter and won the game.

Wazzu, is Wazzu, They are the best offense in the country and Leach has been running that offense for a long time. He has seen anything and everything thrown at them. You can not keep them from scoring. Avalos just hoped he could keep them out of the end zone. The defense got 2 turnovers. Take away those 2 turnovers and Wazzu probably wins the game. I am frustrated with the lack of pressure against their qb but then I think the guy throws the ball after 2 seconds or so and is almost impossible to get any pressure when he is throwing the ball so quickly. You have to have a defense that tackles really well and is on the receivers right after the snap if want to put pressure on their qb. That is an almost impossible task. Many teams give up a lot of yards and lot of points to them. This is the only time we will play them.