#7 Oregon @ USC (Nov. 2, Sat 5 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: #7 Oregon @ USC (Nov. 2, Sat 5 PM Fox)

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’m loving that combo. I much prefer that color of font over the silver we wore against uw
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

Our best uniform combo. Ever.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

perennialduck wrote:Those green gloves would look awesome on Travis Dye.
!!! Lol! Nice!
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I know it’s been a small sample, but could we see more Davis and Wright on ko returns. Please
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duckfan96 wrote:I know it’s been a small sample, but could we see more Davis and Wright on ko returns. Please
More Wright for sure, I think Davis is straight-line fast but not as elusive as Wright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I think it's a good combo but I don't like it as much as others.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

YES to Wright on KO returns. His return was as important as: Juwan Johnson, Herbert and Camden Lewis in the last minute. Setting us up at the 40 as opposed to the 20 where Dye usually gets tackled was huge. Difference between a 24 yard FG and 44 yard FG at the end.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

lukeyrid13 wrote:YES to Wright on KO returns. His return was as important as: Juwan Johnson, Herbert and Camden Lewis in the last minute. Setting us up at the 40 as opposed to the 20 where Dye usually gets tackled was huge. Difference between a 24 yard FG and 44 yard FG at the end.
He also de-cleated a wazzu coverage defender on a return by Daewood. Small sample size for sure (1 game), but I see a major upgrade from Dye.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

upperV03 wrote:The Ducks will be in their best combo of the season so far (IMO) down at the Coliseum:
It worked in '94
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Nice find Merganzer.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Merganzer wrote:
upperV03 wrote:The Ducks will be in their best combo of the season so far (IMO) down at the Coliseum:
It worked in '94
Those are beautiful!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I think I have seen less of USC this year than any other PAC-12 team. Hadn't thought about that until now but it must be because I just don't like them. I mean watching USC versus Notre Dame was too painful as I knew one of them was going to win.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't mind Notre Dame. I know am in minority here. I would cheer for anyone who beats UDumb or University of Spoiled Children.

I really hope Oregon wins tomorrow. It will be a very tough game. USC still has the talent.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/1 ... riter.html

We reached out to USC beat reporter Antonio Morales (@AntonioCMorales) of The Athletic to get some insight on the Trojans.
How do you see it playing out and what’s your score prediction?

Morales: “I think both offenses will have success and this will play out much like Oregon’s past two games: close and higher-scoring. If USC was healthier, I think they’d be able to pull it off but my pick is Oregon 34, USC 31.”
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Posting hythloday's film breakdown again.

Some highlights (though do check out the whole article):
It’s been suggested that because the Trojans’ OC Harrell played quarterback for and coached under the Cougars’ Coach Leach, USC’s new offensive system resembles Wazzu’s air raid. I’m very skeptical of that argument and can only see the most superficial of similarities.

Instead what I’m seeing is, at this point, a fairly standard college spread offense with the minor variation that it drops back to pass about 55% of the time out of 4- or 5-wide. There is little if any of the coherent philosophy or organizing principles -- the attempts to stress the defense and present unwinnable choices -- that underlie the offense Oregon faced last week.
[T]heir rushing attack is one of the most efficient in the conference ... simply because their powerful, talented backs were generating a huge amount of yards after contact. ... However, that was before their top three tailbacks went down to injury ... [S]o far they’ve preferred a lot more outside running with these three, relying on speed instead of bruising.
One area where I think USC’s passing system is quite vulnerable -- in a way that Wazzu’s was not -- is bringing an extra or delayed rusher to confuse this fairly porous offensive line and panic the young QB.
[The] extremely young secondary ... constitute[s] the strength of the defense. ... Injuries to the linebacker corps, are also contributing to significant problems covering short-to-intermediate routes, which are by far their biggest passing game vulnerability.
The rush defense, on the other hand, is astonishingly poor - in the Pac-12 they’re ahead of only Oregon St and Wazzu (and not by much) ... I’ve seen some of the blame for that go to the linebacker injuries as well as those to starters #89 DE Rector and #99 DE D. Jackson. But I had them tallied as a pretty ineffective rush defense squad even before those injuries, and I think a different group is the primary culprit: the defensive tackles.