Do we?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

brich75
Senior

Do we?

Post by brich75 »

Do we finally have that go to WR in Juwan Johnson that teams fear? He seemed absolutely unstoppable last night. If he plays like that the rest of the year it opens up everything for us!
brich75
Senior

Re: Do we?

Post by brich75 »

Can a mod move this to the correct thread please?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Based on last night, We certainly seem to. He and Herbert looked to have timing down, which is important. It looks like Johnson can run routes, create separation & get 50/50 balls. The big worry going in to the game was how could our corners handle the great Trojans receivers, and it turned out that Johnson was the big advantage, for Oregon.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think it is very important but still not as important as Justin learning some touch on his throws instead of making everything a fastball.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck07 wrote:I think it is very important but still not as important as Justin learning some touch on his throws instead of making everything a fastball.
The fastball worked for John Elway.

And the stories about the "Elway cross" are true, and the legend started at Stanford. Given the choice of catching John's passes with their fingers or their chest, receivers opted for their chest. The ball was thrown so hard the seams on the point of the ball would leave a cross imprinted on a receiver's chest. It became known as an Elway cross.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:I think it is very important but still not as important as Justin learning some touch on his throws instead of making everything a fastball.
Agreed. Justin needs to work on the finer points, like that, and leading receivers open, over a certain shoulder, etc.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

maxduck wrote:
The fastball worked for John Elway.

And the stories about the "Elway cross" are true, and the legend started at Stanford. Given the choice of catching John's passes with their fingers or their chest, receivers opted for their chest. The ball was thrown so hard the seams on the point of the ball would leave a cross imprinted on a receiver's chest. It became known as an Elway cross.

Years ago, my son and I were walking out of the tunnel at Autzen while Akili Smith was in his pre-game warm up... Thanks to a missed catch by one of the wr, I know almost exactly what that looks and feels like!

It only took about a week and a half to heal. :mrgreen:
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

brich75 wrote:Do we finally have that go to WR in Juwan Johnson that teams fear? He seemed absolutely unstoppable last night. If he plays like that the rest of the year it opens up everything for us!
Yeah, Herbert suddenly starts to look a lot better when he has a receiver with above average physical tools to work with. The other Heisman contender quarterbacks have several of them.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Herbert did throw a few guys open yesterday, Dye on the screen was a perfect example and with JJ6 he did it a few times. I think it's a trust issue, and that's why he waits on guys to be open.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

He had some nice touch Saturday night on a several balls. In slow-mo you could see it on a few throws. Was a thing of beauty.

I agree with a few posters below. Let Justin have AL’s or Clem’s WRs for a whole season and he’d look unstoppable. I’ve watched Trevor Lawerence get bailed out so many times by his uber talented WRs. JH has never had that luxury.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

buckmarkduck wrote:Herbert did throw a few guys open yesterday, Dye on the screen was a perfect example and with JJ6 he did it a few times. I think it's a trust issue, and that's why he waits on guys to be open.
That could be it. Those you mentioned were nice to see.
oregonpride
Two Star Recruit

Post by oregonpride »

Herbert threw some great balls after the rough start. You could the confidence in him and the zip on the ball.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

For as critical as I've been of Arroyo not calling more designed run plays for Herbert -- a criticism I stand by -- I've also got to appreciate the flipside of my own argument, which is that Herbert is EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD considering we know he's barely ever going to run it, if at all.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I suggest you re-watch the game and count the number of throws where Herbert had great touch...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine