Question about the offense

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Question about the offense

Post by duckfan96 »

For those of you who know more about this stuff than I do. Quick, probably dumb question. With Juwan emerging as a go to wr, will that mean he gets the other teams best db? Also shouldn’t that create some good matchups for johnson3, reds, and others? Also could benefit the running game?

I’m calling it now. Herbert gonna throw a td pass to Herbert in the civil war.
Alan
Senior

Re: Question about the offense

Post by Alan »

IMO, yes. If Johnson can show up again next game, we are running out of games, he will get more attention from other D’s. Which should free up other weapons, but he needs to show up, Verdell had 230, 250 against WSU but was none existent against the dogs....... how much attention should DC’s give him? On the other hand Breeland showed up every game and was a real weapon and DC’s had to give him more attention.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckfan96 wrote:For those of you who know more about this stuff than I do. Quick, probably dumb question. With Juwan emerging as a go to wr, will that mean he gets the other teams best db? Also shouldn’t that create some good matchups for johnson3, reds, and others? Also could benefit the running game?

It's scheme dependent. Some teams will shadow their #1 against an opponents #1; some will keep one as the primary Field Corner (wide side) and the other as the Boundary (short side).

The bigger question I'd say is how much more his play can force Safeties to shade his way to try and open more across the middle for Redd/TEs.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duckfan96 wrote:For those of you who know more about this stuff than I do. Quick, probably dumb question. With Juwan emerging as a go to wr, will that mean he gets the other teams best db? Also shouldn’t that create some good matchups for johnson3, reds, and others? Also could benefit the running game?

Not necessarily. Only a few teams matchup and have a db follow a particular wideout. For instance Oregon plays with a border and field corner (border corner switches to the narrow side of the field on each play) regardless of where a particular WR lines up. Most teams use either border-field or left-right corners. They are more often to shade safeties, LBs, and nickels for additional coverage to a particularly dangerous WR than to matchup. I am sure that there are some defenses left that have a stud corner follow the stud WR, it used to be very common. I know nothing about the three defenses coming up though in how they arrange their secondaries.

TV broadcasts these days are horrible for watching overages with such tight focus on the QB after the snap. You usually only get to see it in a few replays. Remember that most defenses are trying to hide or disguise their coverage pre-snap. So at the time the coverage reveals itself, those of us watching on TV basically have very limited views of what is going on downfield.