Is the Rose Bowl a lock without winning the Pac-12 ttile?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Is the Rose Bowl a lock without winning the Pac-12 ttile?

Post by pezsez1 »

Saw a couple of ESPN bowl projections having us going to either the playoff (if we win the Pac-12) or the Rose Bowl if we lose it.

This seems logical... doesn't the Rose Bowl get to pick its participant if the Pac-12 winner can't go? And Oregon would seem like by far and away the only reasonable choice.

Of course, we still need to beat ASU and OSU... and I'd rather we go to the RB as the Pac-12 champs... but still, this is kind of nice to think about. I think the one thing that could ruin this would be Utah losing one of its last games and then beating us for the Pac-12 title.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Is the Rose Bowl a lock without winning the Pac-12 ttile

Post by Merganzer »

Not a lock; butif the winner of Oregon-Utah becomes part of the CFP, leaving the Rose Bowl to the other seems like a good chance to me.
Last edited by Merganzer on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

It's definitely not a lock. Utah could easily get left out of the playoffs if they beat us in the CCG, even if they're only at one loss – it'd be a close call against Oklahoma, Bama, LSU if Georgia beats them, etc. That would put the Utes in the Rose Bowl and us in the Alamo Bowl.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If we finish with 11 wins we will get a New Years 6 bowl...but frankly the Rose is unlikely. If we win out we very likely make the playoff. If we lose to Utah, then we very likely end up in the cotton bowl against the best group of 5 team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If we finish with 11 wins we will get a New Years 6 bowl...but frankly the Rose is unlikely. If we win out we very likely make the playoff. If we lose to Utah, then we very likely end up in the cotton bowl against the best group of 5 team.
I may have been too sure in my post. But I think that the loser of Oregon - Utah, if it's 11-2 is at least likely to make the Rose Bowl if the winner is in the CFP. It is the Rose Bowl's choice and I think Oregon or Utah has a good chance to be picked against the others who didn't make the CFP.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Long shot I know, what if USC comes out of the south and beats the Ducks in the championship game....... lock no, lots of scenarios
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:Long shot I know, what if USC comes out of the south and beats the Ducks in the championship game....... lock no, lots of scenarios
That's a good one, (Utah would need to lose at least once to Arizona or Colorado), the schedule works out that USC actually has its 2nd bye the week before the championship game.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Merganzer wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:If we finish with 11 wins we will get a New Years 6 bowl...but frankly the Rose is unlikely. If we win out we very likely make the playoff. If we lose to Utah, then we very likely end up in the cotton bowl against the best group of 5 team.
I may have been too sure in my post. But I think that the loser of Oregon - Utah, if it's 11-2 is at least likely to make the Rose Bowl if the winner is in the CFP. It is the Rose Bowl's choice and I think Oregon or Utah has a good chance to be picked against the others who didn't make the CFP.
For whatever reason, Utah is given less respect than us and I’m not certain they make it even at 12-1 and I think they’re more likely to make the rose bowl than the playoff. That’s just my assumption.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

In the even a Pac-12 team goes to the Playoff, does the Rose Bowl have to pick a Pac-12 team?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I can't find the official rules online, but from what I saw the second-hand consensus is the Rose Bowl does have have to pick a Pac 12 team. Not necessarily the conference runner-up if they don't want, but this year it seems obvious that's who it'd be.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I believe it is if one the PAC 12 or Big 10 is in the playoffs the rose bowl committee has the freedom to pick from any conference. Meaning if tOSU makes the playoffs, the Ducks win the conference but do not make the playoffs, the rose bowl committee must take the Ducks but can pick any other power 5 team eligible from any conference, it does not have to be the runner up of the Big 10.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Alan wrote:I believe it is if one the PAC 12 or Big 10 is in the playoffs the rose bowl committee has the freedom to pick from any conference. Meaning if tOSU makes the playoffs, the Ducks win the conference but do not make the playoffs, the rose bowl committee must take the Ducks but can pick any other power 5 team eligible from any conference, it does not have to be the runner up of the Big 10.
I don't think that's true.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:
Alan wrote:I believe it is if one the PAC 12 or Big 10 is in the playoffs the rose bowl committee has the freedom to pick from any conference. Meaning if tOSU makes the playoffs, the Ducks win the conference but do not make the playoffs, the rose bowl committee must take the Ducks but can pick any other power 5 team eligible from any conference, it does not have to be the runner up of the Big 10.
Okay, I spent the 30 seconds required to google it, I stand corrected, again,lol.

“The Rose Bowl typically features the champions of the Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences. ... In years when the Rose Bowl is not a College Football Playoff semifinal game and the Big Ten or Pac-12 champion is selected to play in the College Football Playoff, the Rose Bowl Game selects the next best team in the conference.“
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I don't think they have to follow tiebreakers though.

Ex. - 10-2 Penn St or 10-2 Minnesota, Minnesota would have tiebreaker but I believe the Rose can pick whichever team they'd prefer.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Okay, I spent the 30 seconds required to google it, I stand corrected, again,lol.

“The Rose Bowl typically features the champions of the Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences. ... In years when the Rose Bowl is not a College Football Playoff semifinal game and the Big Ten or Pac-12 champion is selected to play in the College Football Playoff, the Rose Bowl Game selects the next best team in the conference.“
There was that brief era in the BCS where if the Pac-12 or Big Ten champions were in the BCS national championship game, the Rose Bowl would pick a non-major conference team if they were ranked at a certain level, can't remember what it was. That's why the 2011 Rose Bowl was between Wisconsin and TCU. Was that the rule you were originally thinking of?