Mario Cristobal Appreciation

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I just wanted to start a thread to express some appreciation for Mario Cristobal. I know I was negative during the game, but hey, when you have a 5 month old on a strict sleep training schedule and you’re getting about 4 hours of interrupted sleep combined with a late game it happens.

Anyways, I was thinking today about Cristobal and what he’s done at Oregon and how significant it is. Our ducks, led by Cristobal, are PAC-12 North champs with 2 games left in the season and are 7-0 in conference play, that’s a reason to celebrate! Sure, everything hasn’t been perfect, I personally don’t think this team is capable of winning a playoff game, I think they’re at best the fourth team and wouldn’t beat LSU, Ohio St, or Clemson. However, those teams have been having a lot of success lately, especially Clemson and Ohio St. they’ve been powerhouse for a little while now.

Just three seasons ago Oregon was a PAC-12 bottom feeder under Helf and were a complete embarrassment. Then comes Taggart, and while there was improvement, it felt at times like the team was more focused on swag surfing than football. This was the team Cristobal inherited, a 4-8 team than a sloppy undisciplined 7-5 team. Now two years into his Oregon career, he has won the PAC-12 north with coaches such as Peterson, Leach, and Shaw, coaches who have been very successful, with two games left in conference play! That is a really significant turnaround.

I know Cristobal hasn’t been perfect, and still has some growing to do, but this dude has displayed humility and has proven that he learns from his mistakes and adjusts, plus he’s instilling a solid culture at Oregon revolving around effort, hard work, and integrity, and we can all be proud of that! Oh, and he also freakin brought a top 5 recruiting class to Eugene in his first full offseason! That is something I never thought was possible; heck even when we had Chip who would snag a 5 star we just believed this idea that Oregon can’t recruit top talent, and Cristobal comes in and proves that to be false in 1 freakin year!

Mario Cristobal is certainly the man for the job here at Oregon, and there isn’t another coach in the nation I would want! Not even Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney. Get ready duck fans, Mario is taking us on and adventure, and I am so confident he will be the coach that brings Oregon their first ever national championship! Thanks for being our coach Mario Cristobal!
rockthief
Senior

Re: Mario Cristobal Appreciation

Post by rockthief »

Hear hear! He is (has) changed the culture positively. Taggart was all mouth. Coach C. is action.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Very well said. I remember at the end of last season it was pretty sad around here. The players wanted to keep Cristobal. That was not universally accepted as the way to go; then there was the Redbox thriller.
But, little did we know that, except for the last 9 seconds of his second game, Cristobal hasn't lost a game as Oregon's head coach. I find it hard not to be impressed with the man. He makes an interview with the coach entertaining. Not by being funny or strange, but just being real. It shows why he is so good at recruiting.
Selfishly for us, he really seems to love it at Oregon. I think he set a plan early to make Oregon an elite team and is intent on getting it done and keeping it going. I also read a story a while ago that that fits perfectly with his persona: A father & his 11 year old son were at the airport and they noticed that Cristobal was walking past them a few feet away. They didn't know whether to approach him or not, then finally the father walked over and called out to him. Cristobal stopped, smiled and he, the father and the son, had a great conversation. Hard to top that.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I’ve said this in other threads, he is 100 percent real. When you listen to him speak you just can’t help not to love him. He has me wanting to go out and play for him and I am 38! He is a unique rare type of person, his coaching needs some work but he knows and admits that. He makes up for it with elite recruiting. The good news is he has the things you can’t really teach and will continue to improve as a coach. The future is bright and other teams around the league and country know it!
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

He might get a couple votes for Pac 12 coach of the year, but honestly if was to ask me I think the coach of the year in the Pac 12 should go to Jonathan Smith at Oregon state. How many of us thought they would be second in the north behind Oregon. I would have told person was crazy if thought that.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Yes, Cristobal has far exceeded any reasonable expectations a person could have had up to this point. He is an absolute A+ coach in terms of recruiting, developing a winning culture, representing the university in a way everyone can be proud of, handling the media, etc. He also seems to be adept at luring/hiring good assistants, which is critical for both short term and long term success.

It does remain to be seen how Mario will fare without Herbert and the experienced offensive line he inherited. It will take several more years of proving it on the field to elevate himself to elite status from a pure coaching perspective.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’d vote Mario. We were a 4 win team a few short years ago. We are now knocking on the door of the playoffs. Beavs will likely end up a 5 and 7 team. That should not earn a COY award to me.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Can't deny the culture he's built up around Oregon. We used to be a heavily penalized team and he's fixed that... The offensive line used to be mediocre and he's fixed that... We used to struggle mightily for a half on the road and he's fixed that... We used to not know how to catch the ball and he's fixed that too. I was also shocked to see offensive play calling creativity against Arizona!!!
Even though I know we all wish to be perennial contenders like Clemson/Alabama/Ohio State, none of those teams were 4-8 a few years ago and went through as many head coaches/defensive coordinators so I guess there will be growing pains. I still think next year is going to be his big test where he has to find his own QB and offensive line.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

ducks5ever wrote:Can't deny the culture he's built up around Oregon. We used to be a heavily penalized team and he's fixed that... The offensive line used to be mediocre and he's fixed that... We used to struggle mightily for a half on the road and he's fixed that... We used to not know how to catch the ball and he's fixed that too. I was also shocked to see offensive play calling creativity against Arizona!!!
Even though I know we all wish to be perennial contenders like Clemson/Alabama/Ohio State, none of those teams were 4-8 a few years ago and went through as many head coaches/defensive coordinators so I guess there will be growing pains. I still think next year is going to be his big test where he has to find his own QB and offensive line.
I believe MC has his next QB... Likely has a competent back-up in the fold, as well.

The OL may take a step back, but I doubt it will be nearly as significant as past transitions.

Just a couple seasons ago, we were worrying about Rabdo, and wayward assistant coaches drunkenly meandering about the streets of Eugene, while Willie T. wandered aimlessly around on the Duck's dime searching for something to do... Now look where we are!

This should be a great ride!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Absolutely and I honestly think he might even be better than Chip. 2007 and 2008 Oregon very very good teams with 2007 Oregon having Dixon's injury keeping us out of the title game and 2008 having USC on the road keeping us out of the Rose Bowl(I dont think we beat USC on the road that year even with Chip Coaching) and I believe most of our 2010-11 roster was part of the 2008 recruiting class . Mario Cristobal had to rebuild an Oregon team that completely collapsed under Helfrich and barely stayed afloat under Taggart.

Now if Chip at is best I would say he would still be better as I would say the 2012 Oregon Team is probably the best Oregon coached team ever and if there was a playoff we win it all that year or heck if the BCS didnt rank a team who lost to an worse ranked team than Oregon did (looking at Dec ranking not Jan) then we should have been number 2 and won it all.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UofDuck wrote:I’d vote Mario. We were a 4 win team a few short years ago. We are now knocking on the door of the playoffs. Beavs will likely end up a 5 and 7 team. That should not earn a COY award to me.
Yeah, lets wait & see until conference play is done. If the Beavers get to 7-5, I'd say that Smith would be in contention. Expectations do vary: "Beaver Nation" is celebrating at the thought of one more win making the Beavers bowl eligible. Oregon, after a collapse & coaching change, are in contention for the CFP. I go with Cristobal.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I very much like Mario as a person. He could turn out to be an outstanding head coach for Oregon over the years with his recruiting prowess if he stays and if he hires well.

I expect a couple of assistants to cash in on this season and leave at seasons end. (Hopefully after NSD but that probably wont happen.) If you are planning on leaving eventually, this would be the year. Next years offense may (will likely) take some huge steps back with a new QB and Line. Heck, though I expect the defense will be as good or better next year even it may take a step back if both corners declare or if next years offense becomes a turnover machine.

His DC hire seems solid. WR seems a vast improvement. RB I have questions, but overall hiring seems to be a strength.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think our offense will do well next year. We should be gaining: Devon Williams, Cam McCormick, Johnny Wilson, JR Waters, Lance Wilhoite at WR, Trey Benson at RB.
O-Line - Aumavaue-Laulu, Jonah T, Steven Jones and TJ Bass likely fill in for the departing seniors. We will see a drop off, but not as much as some would expect.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

yup, he's doing a great job!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I very much like Mario as a person. He could turn out to be an outstanding head coach for Oregon over the years with his recruiting prowess if he stays and if he hires well.

I expect a couple of assistants to cash in on this season and leave at seasons end. (Hopefully after NSD but that probably wont happen.) If you are planning on leaving eventually, this would be the year. Next years offense may (will likely) take some huge steps back with a new QB and Line. Heck, though I expect the defense will be as good or better next year even it may take a step back if both corners declare or if next years offense becomes a turnover machine.

His DC hire seems solid. WR seems a vast improvement. RB I have questions, but overall hiring seems to be a strength.
I think Aaron Feld could be added to the list