If Oregon gets to the playoffs , I think we would win it all

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

If Oregon gets to the playoffs , I think we would win it all

Post by Blazers-1977 »

We played Auburn better than any other team has so far for 3 quarters and we weren't even at our best then. Now we are much better than we are during the opening game so I believe if we get in we will win it all. I believe we would beat LSU as LSU's defense isnt really that good and our defense is physical and dominant enough to hold them under 30 points and I dont think their defense would hold us under 30 points so I think Oregon would win that game 38-24.

Then I think we would be playing Ohio St in the final and I think this game would be a defensive slugfest similar to the 2011 BCS National Championship except for this time we are much more of a physical team then we were back then so I think we would narrowly win 24-20.

The only problem is the NCAA has a history of totally underestimating Pac 12 teams(Our 2001 and 2012 Season being the biggest examples).
woundedknees
All-American

Re: If Oregon gets to the playoffs , I think we would win it

Post by woundedknees »

Blazers-1977 wrote:We played Auburn better than any other team has so far for 3 quarters and we weren't even at our best then. Now we are much better than we are during the opening game so I believe if we get in we will win it all. I believe we would beat LSU as LSU's defense isnt really that good and our defense is physical and dominant enough to hold them under 30 points and I dont think their defense would hold us under 30 points so I think Oregon would win that game 38-24.

Then I think we would be playing Ohio St in the final and I think this game would be a defensive slugfest similar to the 2011 BCS National Championship except for this time we are much more of a physical team then we were back then so I think we would narrowly win 24-20.

The only problem is the NCAA has a history of totally screwing with OREGON(Our 2001 and 2012 Season being the biggest examples).
FIFW!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Honestly, I think Oregon is going to struggle with Utah. I think there's a very real possibility Utah wins. As for LSU, I think Oregon can win, but the defense still allows teams to move the ball, and LSU has the best redzone offense in the country. Ohio state? No way Oregon wins that
Last edited by squintsdd on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Regarding 2001 and 2012, don't lose at home to an inferior Stanford team and we wouldn't have this "history" of the NCAA/BCS screwing Oregon.

I don't see how this Oregon team could beat LSU, Clemson, and Ohio St. Those teams are too good. Just looking at Oregon's last four games I think it's easy to see Oregon isn't quite as good as those teams. Oregon struggled against Washington and needed a possible missed PI by the refs to win, needed a last minute field goal against a bad WSU team at home (granted the refs hurt Oregon a lot), and did manage to handle a USC team well but they were down 0-10 and were greatly aided by a USC implosion, which is always fun to watch. Then Oregon took a disastrous Zona team with a non-existent defense and the offense wasn't anywhere close to amazing (including a drive where Oregon got 1st and goal within the 5 and didn't score a single point). What we've seen from Oregon this season is the inability to put together a complete game for 60 minutes. I'm not sure why, but I don't believe we've seen that yet. Closest was the Colorado game. Meanwhile, LSU is beating Bama on the road and Ohio St and Clemson are rolling (yes bad opponents, but they look to be on another level). I think Oregon is at best the 4th best team in the nation, which is really quite significant where they were over the last few years, but Oregon isn't quite good enough to beat those powerhouse teams. But with continued success in recruiting and if the coaches can develop players well, in a few years Oregon very well may be good enough to win a national championship. I'm already looking at the 2021 season as a possible national championship season!
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Regarding 2001 and 2012, don't lose at home to an inferior Stanford team and we wouldn't have this "history" of the NCAA/BCS screwing Oregon.

I don't see how this Oregon team could beat LSU, Clemson, and Ohio St. Those teams are too good. Just looking at Oregon's last four games I think it's easy to see Oregon isn't quite as good as those teams. Oregon struggled against Washington and needed a possible missed PI by the refs to win, needed a last minute field goal against a bad WSU team at home (granted the refs hurt Oregon a lot), and did manage to handle a USC team well but they were down 0-10 and were greatly aided by a USC implosion, which is always fun to watch. Then Oregon took a disastrous Zona team with a non-existent defense and the offense wasn't anywhere close to amazing (including a drive where Oregon got 1st and goal within the 5 and didn't score a single point). What we've seen from Oregon this season is the inability to put together a complete game for 60 minutes. I'm not sure why, but I don't believe we've seen that yet. Closest was the Colorado game. Meanwhile, LSU is beating Bama on the road and Ohio St and Clemson are rolling (yes bad opponents, but they look to be on another level). I think Oregon is at best the 4th best team in the nation, which is really quite significant where they were over the last few years, but Oregon isn't quite good enough to beat those powerhouse teams. But with continued success in recruiting and if the coaches can develop players well, in a few years Oregon very well may be good enough to win a national championship. I'm already looking at the 2021 season as a possible national championship season!
I don’t think you could have spun those wins any more negatively haha. I’m curious, what defines a complete game? That win @ USC felt pretty darn complete to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Regarding 2001 and 2012, don't lose at home to an inferior Stanford team and we wouldn't have this "history" of the NCAA/BCS screwing Oregon.

Well LSU actually look like an early 2010s Oregon team while we look like lol an early 2010s SEC team. I think just like our offense struggled against teams like Auburn and LSU in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, their offense would struggle against our defense and due to that I dont see how they can put up more than 24 points against us . I also dont think their defense is anywhere near good enough to stop Herbert or our running game.

We could have scored more on Zona its clear though the game was over so we dialed it back just like every college team does.

As for Ohio St , well I dont think they have played really any great teams yet, we will see how good they really are in the Penn State game.

As for 2001 its pretty obvious we got screwed , if the BCS used the formula they did from 2004-2013 we would have been a comfortably number 2 in the ranking. That system was so messed up that the 2003 season(which used the same system that screwed us in 2001) ended in a split national championship and any system that can result in that shows how bad it is. 2012 was not as bad as 2001 but it was still pretty bad and 2012 was a clear example of why the BCS was terrible because if we got in and won Bama fans would say well we only won cause we played a team that was massively overrated and guess what both Oregon fans now and Bama fans in that scenraio are right. Bama and Oregon were clearly the 2 best teams in 2012 but because of the dumb BCS system they couldnt play each other for the title so we never got to see who the best team was that year(which I thnk we were).
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think we'd have a much better chance of winning the Rose Bowl over a playoff game... and I kind of hope we win out, win the Pac-12 title, and then get passed over for a playoff berth. I don't think we're elite yet, and I don't think we'd stack up well against Ohio State or LSU.

That said... I do think we're built like a playoff team. We have a solid defense, solid line play, and we run a somewhat simple offense that doesn't SEEM to rely so much on fakes/timing as, say, our offenses under Chip Kelly -- my gut feeling is our type of offense would probably get up to speed more quickly following a one-month bowl season layoff.

Would definitely be interesting to see what happens in the playoff. We did almost knock off Auburn -- and, really, should have knocked off Auburn -- and that was Herbert throwing to a thinned-out receiving corp that really carried over no momentum from last season. I think we're a much more dangerous team now than we were then.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Always such a ray of sunshine!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

squintsdd wrote:Honestly, I think Oregon is going to struggle with Utah. I think there's a very real possibly Utah wins. As for LSU, I think Oregon can win, but the defense still allows teams to move the ball, and LSU has the best redzone offense in the country. Ohio state? No way Oregon wins that
This. Also Utah is gonna give our offense a lot of problems.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Honestly, I think Oregon is going to struggle with Utah. I think there's a very real possibly Utah wins. As for LSU, I think Oregon can win, but the defense still allows teams to move the ball, and LSU has the best redzone offense in the country. Ohio state? No way Oregon wins that
This. Also Utah is gonna give our offense a lot of problems.
Especially with Pittman and Breeland out.
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

LSUs defense is bad. We would have a chance against them. Clemson I’m not sure, because they haven’t played anyone. I don’t think anyone is beating OSU.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

DuckDuckJuice wrote:LSUs defense is bad. We would have a chance against them. Clemson I’m not sure, because they haven’t played anyone. I don’t think anyone is beating OSU.

OSU hasn't really played anyone great until now either. We will see how good they really are this week
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

It will be interesting that if LSU is number 1 and Ohio State is number 2 then Ohio State would play Clemson. That would be a very interesting game. Ohio State been steam rolling everyone. Clemson has been shutting down everyone but not played anyone significant. I would be curious what the outcome would be. I think Clemson could shut down LSU and beat them. Just a gut feeling. I don't know if they could beat Ohio State.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

pezsez1 wrote:I think we'd have a much better chance of winning the Rose Bowl over a playoff game... and I kind of hope we win out, win the Pac-12 title, and then get passed over for a playoff berth. I don't think we're elite yet, and I don't think we'd stack up well against Ohio State or LSU.

That said... I do think we're built like a playoff team. We have a solid defense, solid line play, and we run a somewhat simple offense that doesn't SEEM to rely so much on fakes/timing as, say, our offenses under Chip Kelly -- my gut feeling is our type of offense would probably get up to speed more quickly following a one-month bowl season layoff.

Would definitely be interesting to see what happens in the playoff. We did almost knock off Auburn -- and, really, should have knocked off Auburn -- and that was Herbert throwing to a thinned-out receiving corp that really carried over no momentum from last season. I think we're a much more dangerous team now than we were then.
Herbert throwing? All I remember is passes behind the line of scrimmage. If they take the training wheels off Herbert we win that game.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Everything you've said here is true