Mario Cristobal's biggest weakness is clock management

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Mario Cristobal's biggest weakness is clock management

Post by GrantDuck »

3rd time we've seen this now(Stanford/Auburn/ASU).

This time, he lets 30 seconds run off the clock at the end of the 3rd quarter. While losing.

That is absolutely awful, I'm sorry. You can't do that, period.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Re: Mario Cristobal's biggest weakness is clock management

Post by hjpop »

He's learning, it will take time for him to get that skill (also, what of the other coaches? They can talk, even though MC runs the show)
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I don't know that he'll learn. Even a coach as smart as Andy Reid can continue to not know how to make in-game decisions. I like Cristobal a lot, but I don't trust his game management at all.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The coaching staff needs an offensive guru. Cristobal isn’t that and he’s trying to force Arroyo to be, which he is far from being. Cristobal needs to humbly admit this reality and find an offensive guru this offseason to join the coaching staff.
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

GrantDuck wrote:3rd time we've seen this now(Stanford/Auburn/ASU).

This time, he lets 30 seconds run off the clock at the end of the 3rd quarter. While losing.

That is absolutely awful, I'm sorry. You can't do that, period.
it was a one score game with the ball, there is nothing wrong with letting that time run

on the other hand, the team played much better with some pace, and there was no pace last night til the fourth quarter in desperation.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

No, his biggest weakness is Marcus Arroyo.

Two years now, and the only real improvement is we've scored points in second halves -- which is great, I'm all up for improvement, but can't we do better?

Watching people defend Arroyo reminds me of myself defending Nick Allioti back in the day. Yes, he was a good defensive coordinator.... but folks said we could do better, and they were right.

Arroyo isn't the answer for a program with national championship aspirations.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Pete Carroll still makes all kinds of weird decisions, which cost him. That said, Arroyo needs to go. He's not terrible, but he's very average. I firmly put Herbert's lack of progression on Arroyo. He's had him for 3 years, and he hasn't improved, and in fact I'd say he was better under Helfrich and his coaches. Remember Dennis Dixon in 05 and 06, and how up and down he would be? Then in came Chip and transformed him in the matter of a month. The same thing this year with Burrow's at LSU. His new QB/OC just turned him into a monster at QB. We need a legit QB guru, and a OC. Whether that is getting 2 different coaches, or finding one guy to do both jobs.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

pezsez1 wrote:No, his biggest weakness is Marcus Arroyo.

Two years now, and the only real improvement is we've scored points in second halves -- which is great, I'm all up for improvement, but can't we do better?

Watching people defend Arroyo reminds me of myself defending Nick Allioti back in the day.
Yes, he was a good defensive coordinator.... but folks said we could do better, and they were right.

Just like people who defended Don Pellum, and some others... They just don't see a problem until it hits them in the face.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Watching people defend Arroyo reminds me of myself defending Nick Allioti back in the day. Yes, he was a good defensive coordinator.... but folks said we could do better, and they were right.

I'm so glad you're on this forum to communicate what I believe but in an intelligent manner lol. I don't sound near as smart as you when I post.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

hjpop wrote:He's learning, it will take time for him to get that skill (also, what of the other coaches? They can talk, even though MC runs the show)
X2! Mario is still learning and he has improved since day one, he will get there, his coaches need to assist him in some coaching areas. I lost agree that Arroyo is the Mario’s weakest link.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

This is it. Arroyo needs to go.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:
hjpop wrote:He's learning, it will take time for him to get that skill (also, what of the other coaches? They can talk, even though MC runs the show)
X2! Mario is still learning and he has improved since day one, he will get there, his coaches need to assist him in some coaching areas. I lost agree that Arroyo is the Mario’s weakest link.
One thing that sticks out about Arroyo is a basic lack of awareness. His plays, rather than building off each other, are chosen in a haphazardly manner.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

A good OC would help this!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Also refusing to run QB sneak(a play with a 90% conversion rate on 4th and 1 or less) and not running Herbert AT ALL are absolutely maddening.

Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:Also refusing to run QB sneak(a play with a 90% conversion rate on 4th and 1 or less) and not running Herbert AT ALL are absolutely maddening.

Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn.
Obviously I'm no Arroyo fan, but what's sad is the one time Herbert tried the zone read it was arguable the most disastrous play of the season (until that 81 yard touchdown allowed on 3rd and 16). If Herbert didn't fumble the ball then Oregon probably would've been 10-0 going into the ASU loss. Maybe for both Arroyo and Herbert that disastrous zone read against Auburn has been in their minds all season long resulting in no QB keeps at all. Not trying to excuse it, but just saying maybe that's why.