What to look forward to for the future.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

What to look forward to for the future.

Post by OregonFan4Life »

For this season, I’m not too bummed. I said for a while I wanted a Rose Bow won as this simply isn’t a playoff team. Before the season I predicted Oregon would lose to Auburn and ASU (I knew this was a trap game), so I somewhat saw this coming. I’m still proud of what Oregon has done this season dominating the North and getting a chance at a conference championship. I’m confident Oregon takes out this frustration and destroys Little
brother next week!

However, I’m thinking of the future right now. I know all of us duck fans align with Cristobal with his national championship aspirations. We want a natty! Plain and simple. Cristobal is recruiting for a natty, that’s for sure! Great class last season and we’ll get a great class this season. But what we’ve seen this season and especially tonight was a team that doesn’t play a compete game and doesn’t play to their potential. That to me indicates coaching issues. Tonight we saw an offense that was bottom feeder PAC-12 bad, then when it was way too late played and coached with the sense or urgency you should have all game long. When the offense finally showed up and the defense had ASU on a 3rd and 16 late, the secondary loses focus, plays lazy, and gives up a long TD. The worst part is, they did the same thing earlier in the game and that should’ve been fixed immediately. Giving up two long passes like that to an average team, especially with the circumstances for that second one, is beyond inexcusable. As I see it, I don’t think this coaching staff is quite there to lead Oregon to a national championship in the future, but I 100% believe Cristobal is the guy.

With all of that said, where this coaching staff is lacking the most is an effective OC. I know Arroyo showed some improvements this year but the offense has never been reliable and I’ve never been confident in the offense to show up consistently. That doesn’t win national championships. I think we need a new co-OC playcaller.

What changes, if any, do you guys think needs to be made for Oregon to be capable of winning a national championship in the future?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: What to look forward to for the future.

Post by Tray Dub »

O-line is going to be a big rebuilding project, though at least we'll have the best anchor in the country in Penei for one more season. The defense should be exciting for years to come. The big question mark is whether we can find a quarterback who has "it." If we do, we have a very promising next few years ahead of us.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm still not disappointed in the season. 10 wins in any form(counting postseason) was the "expectation" for me and we can hit that. I'm happy with the general direction of the program...that said...

1. More consistent offense. (Whether that's scheme or QB or whatever combination of playcalling). It's been going on for 2 years now. Better this year, but we also have more talent/experience.

2. More talent on the defensive line. Gotta get recruits like DeFo/Armstead. Kayvon is nice, but we have to get dominant guys inside and out. WSU/ASU have been able to pick about our secondary, when we have time. Great defenses have great defensive lines.

3. Replacing OL/QB.

and yeah, Lenoir and Holland have been awesome this year, but they had really bad games tonight. Pickett was our best secondary guy today actually.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tray Dub wrote:O-line is going to be a big rebuilding project, though at least we'll have the best anchor in the country in Penei for one more season. The defense should be exciting for years to come. The big question mark is whether we can find a quarterback who has "it." If we do, we have a very promising next few years ahead of us.
I’m confident Shough is that guy. He’s looked good from what we’ve seen, he’s tough, and he’s a good runner. But is he enough to overcome the offensive woes? I don’t think so, and very few QB’s are (Marcus is, he overcame crappy offensive playcalls to beat MSU in Autzen). While Herbert was awful, Arroyo did not put this offense in position to succeed. He had predictable playcalls and went away from what was working to try and get cute and it devastated the offense for a while. I just don’t want to see Arroyo ruin another QB like he did Herbert. Arroyo cost this team two games this season, at what point is it enough?
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

Play calling has improved this year. The last game wasn’t great, but if this team had a Freeman or James at running back, or even just a little more depth at receiver, they would be undefeated. The future is bright, we will get another chance at the playoff.