Herbert

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Herbert

Post by SuperDuck »

It seems as though his throwing mechanics are off. I noticed it earlier in the season, again a couple games ago, and then again last night. He's throwing off his back foot a lot.

Kirk Herbstreit also mentioned Herbert's throwing motion last night during the game.

In addition to that, he was trying to force throws that were covered and also missing throws that were open that he usually makes. Honestly, the first 3 quarters were the worst I've seen from him consecutively all year.

The thought even crossed my mind that Cristobol should let him sit for a series, watch, gather himself and see what was happening. But we were fighting from behind, so that would have been hard to do.

I hate to criticize the kid because I have so much appreciation for what he's done for Oregon football, but it seems like his footwork has regressed. He also struggles under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if he slides in the draft. Honestly, that might be the best thing that could happen to him. (See "Aaron Rodgers")
John 3:36
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Herbert

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think it’s safe to say that we all love Herbert, and what’s so frustrating is his moments of absolute brilliance are often sandwiched by head scratching decisions and throws.

As someone who growing up had a tendency to lock up in big or high pressure situations, I see the same thing in Herbert. I found it interesting how once the game was seemingly out of reach, he started tearing it up. Like the pressure was off and he finally just relaxed and played. Obviously there are a lot of factors but one of them is absolutely his personality. He’s very reserved, doesn’t like the spotlight, and probably (like myself) doesn’t have a ton of self-confidence. Which unfortunately doesn’t usually lend itself to being able to shine in high pressure situations. You can almost see him in real-time doubting and second guessing himself.

There are exceptions. A reserved guy like Mariota was obviously just fine, but I never got the sense that MM lacked confidence. With Herbert though I always get the sense that he‘s second guessing himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I have been wondering if there is something physically wrong with him. That second INT was one of the worst I have seen and I don't know what that was about, something mental and not physical. So something is amiss and yes he is in a regression, or he simply has not improved as we want or expect from a senior. I just hope he gets it together.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

He just doesn’t have “it”. I don’t see him working out in the NFL
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Phenom wrote:He just doesn’t have “it”. I don’t see him working out in the NFL
Actually, I think he does, or at least, 'can'. We have to look back at the comeback games against UW and WSU. He was on fire then. It's just the inconsistency of his mechanics.
John 3:36
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I also think Arroyo is a terrible QB coach.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:He just doesn’t have “it”. I don’t see him working out in the NFL
Yes! You can say the same about Mariota’s chances of making it in the NFL after his disappointing four year Titan career! Oh wait! Herberts time at Oregon was much like Mariota’s time with the Titans. How many HC did each have in the last four years? How many OC’s? How many new offenses?......... Herbert will play on Sundays and by May he will be a multi millionaire...... he had an off game and with luck Marcus signs with a stable team and gets a real chance.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't have the stats, but it seems Herbert is actually at his best when the pressure IS on. His worst throws seem to come in the first half of games, often with a clean pocket.

The second pick last night was a clear pass interference. I don't exactly put that on him. But overall, that may have been his worst day as a Duck, and if you're a fan who judges a player by their worst day, Lord have mercy on you.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I still say his worst day was likely last year's Arizona game or 2017's Las Vegas Bowl.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:I still say his worst day was likely last year's Arizona game or 2017's Las Vegas Bowl.
This one is "worse" because of everything around Herbert. Even with the horrible game so far, Herbert was about to lead the Ducks to an unbelievable comeback...until 3rd & 16 happened.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

Who was the center during the game? During the 3rd Q, the hikes to him were often high, causing him to jump a little and threw off the timing of the handoff and the INT came off a very low snap. When they were making the comeback attempt, the hikes were in their normal range. It doesn't excuse the poor decisions but we know the value of good hiking from bad ones.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

hjpop wrote:Who was the center during the game? During the 3rd Q, the hikes to him were often high, causing him to jump a little and threw off the timing of the handoff and the INT came off a very low snap. When they were making the comeback attempt, the hikes were in their normal range. It doesn't excuse the poor decisions but we know the value of good hiking from bad ones.
Hanson in the first half and Throckmorton the second half. No idea why.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Hanson got injured sometime during the 1st half so they had to move Throck to center. Not why it took him so long to finally get his snaps faster and more accurate.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

That crucial 4th and 1 is still bothering me. Herbert needed to tuck the ball and run right up the middle. I don't know why he did not. Maybe he is afraid to run? That score would have been the game. Oh well, that is old and cold soup. Moving on to blasting Oregon State.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

As I've said before, Marcus Arroyo's job title here:

ASSISTANT HEAD COACH/
OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR/
QUARTERBACKS COACH