Arroyo to UNLV

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Arroyo to UNLV

Post by Phenom »

It's fairly common. Even this year, Clemson's Co-OC is staying on for the playoffs even though he accepted the HC gig at USF.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With a dead period that lasts from the day after Early Signing Day through January 1st, there's not a whole lot of recruiting that can be done. Much of that time will basically be newly hired coaches gameplanning/coaching with their old team while putting together a staff for their new team.
Alan
Senior

Re: Arroyo to remain as OC for the Rose Bowl

Post by Alan »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:Kind of surprising he wouldn't blow out as soon as possible to help with recruiting at his new school.
Maybe it's the $30,000 he gets for coaching the Rose Bowl. :lol:

That is exactly it, 30k on the table... but I trust Cristabol would not let him do it if he didn’t have confidence..... meaning the 30k aside, Cristabol would put him on the sideline without a headset. It will be fine.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

BTW, apparently, Arroyo will be involved in the RB but the level of involvement is not known yet..
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

droop10 wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:Kind of surprising he wouldn't blow out as soon as possible to help with recruiting at his new school.
The dead period starts next week through the bowl games, so he won’t be able to recruit anyway. He can spend this week recruiting, as the Oregon staff will, then focus on the bowl game during the dead period. Works out for everyone.
Yes but he’s now a head coach in charge of an entire program. He has an entire coaching staff and support staff to put together and his attention isn’t going to be focused on Wisconsin. Even though he can’t actively recruit, he has an entire recruiting board to put together. I get the feeling he’s still the OC by name but his actual involvement in game planning will be minimal at best. This seems more like a “rah rah” to get the players jacked to send him out on a high note. Fan criticisms aside, the players seem to love him.

As for the bonus argument, I doubt he’s sticking around for $30k when his UNLV contract pays him $1.5M.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Duck24 wrote:
droop10 wrote:
The dead period starts next week through the bowl games, so he won’t be able to recruit anyway. He can spend this week recruiting, as the Oregon staff will, then focus on the bowl game during the dead period. Works out for everyone.
Yes but he’s now a head coach in charge of an entire program. He has an entire coaching staff and support staff to put together and his attention isn’t going to be focused on Wisconsin. Even though he can’t actively recruit, he has an entire recruiting board to put together. I get the feeling he’s still the OC by name but his actual involvement in game planning will be minimal at best. This seems more like a “rah rah” to get the players jacked to send him out on a high note. Fan criticisms aside, the players seem to love him.

As for the bonus argument, I doubt he’s sticking around for $30k when his UNLV contract pays him $1.5M.
At 1.5 mil annually and conservatively saying that being HC is (only) a 6 day a week job, he's getting ~$4,800/day. $30k for one day of calling plays is a much better payout.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
droop10 wrote:

At 1.5 mil annually and conservatively saying that being HC is (only) a 6 day a week job, he's getting ~$4,800/day. $30k for one day of calling plays is a much better payout.
I truly hope its not just one day of play calling, if that's the case we're screwed. He has to be watching film for hours for the next two weeks to put together an offensive game plan. Then he needs to get the plan to the players and then he needs to be at every practice making sure the plan is understood by the players, etc etc. We're talking $30k for two weeks of time probably 12-15 hrs a day minimum. If he's not going to contribute that to this game then I don't have a lot of confidence in our ability to win. That's just what it takes going into a game like this. This isn't the Potato Bowl. And you know MC wants to win this game badly. So I'm hoping there's an understanding as to what the effort level will be between the two of them. But yesterday he was jetsetting down to Vegas for a press conference and schmoozing with the boosters rather than doing what most bowl eligible offensive coordinators are doing which is figuring out how to defeat the opposing team.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

He's putting together a hell of a staff. Better than some P5 teams.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds as if Dunn and OSU DL coach Joe Bob Clements will be staying in Stillwater.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Below is UNLV assistant salaries from the USA Today database. Both Kasey Dunn and Keith Hayward made about $600,000 last year which is probably why they are staying with their current position.

2019 Travis Burkett $155,099
2019 Tony Samuel $138,871
2019 Tim Skipper $250,000
2019 Steve Irvin $136,559
2019 Ron O'Dell $141,240
2019 Garin Justice $216,899
2019 Eric Brown $77,250
2019 Cedric Cormier $141,829
2019 Barney Cotton $230,117
2019 Al Simmons $155,099
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Sounds as if Dunn and OSU DL coach Joe Bob Clements will be staying in Stillwater.
Bummer for UNLV, Dunn would have been a great pick up for them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13