Arroyo to UNLV

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Arroyo to UNLV

Post by Duck24 »

alxtw wrote:If i'm Heyward I would stick with oregon. Although we might be take a step back on offense next year, the defense will still be nasty. While UNLV is rebuilding their entire program. It we continue to win and the defense continues to impress, he could have a DC or even a head coaching job at a P5 in the next few years. But at UNLV, he will not have such a big stage and resources to build his unit compared to at Oregon.
You gotta assume that with another season or two of defensive success, Avalos will be on the move. Granted nothing is guaranteed but gotta assume if he stuck around and Avalos departed, he’d be in line for the DC job. He is very well paid at Oregon and while money isn’t everything, I doubt UNLV can match what he makes now.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Arroyo to UNLV?

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Besides, he NEVER called plays at Oregon. Chip ran the offense as HC and Frost ran the offense when Helf was HC.
I would say calling plays in the NFL is good enough experience.

He doesn't though.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

From Arroyo's introductory press conference today, it sounds like he'll be coaching in the Rose Bowl before leaving for good.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I actually like that. We have continuity and also means we likely aren't just promoting Mastro which would have been underwhelming to me.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Nice! CMC wouldn’t do this if he didn’t think Arroyo could spend the time to develop the game plan.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah that makes sense, and it is a big bowl game too. If we were in like the Sun Bowl, I wouldn't expect or desire for him to OC that game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Arroyo to remain as OC for the Rose Bowl

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I guess this is good for continuity, but the gotta wonder how committed he’ll be to game prep.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Kind of surprising he wouldn't blow out as soon as possible to help with recruiting at his new school.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Kind of surprising he wouldn't blow out as soon as possible to help with recruiting at his new school.
Maybe it's the $30,000 he gets for coaching the Rose Bowl. :lol:
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Hopefully this isn't Royce Freeman 2.0.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

This is good for all parties involved. Our offense and QB has some continuity, Arroyo and UNLV get a ton of free publicity.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Kind of surprising he wouldn't blow out as soon as possible to help with recruiting at his new school.
The dead period starts next week through the bowl games, so he won’t be able to recruit anyway. He can spend this week recruiting, as the Oregon staff will, then focus on the bowl game during the dead period. Works out for everyone.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Hopefully this isn't Royce Freeman 2.0.
I think different situations. It benefits Marcus greatly going forward to call a good game so no one has fuel against his abilities. Although I despise players sitting out bowl games as they should be considered part of the season imo, players physically play in the game and incur that risk.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

JIDuck97 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Hopefully this isn't Royce Freeman 2.0.
I think different situations. It benefits Marcus greatly going forward to call a good game so no one has fuel against his abilities. Although I despise players sitting out bowl games as they should be considered part of the season imo, players physically play in the game and incur that risk.
Nah, if a player isn't going to play, they are checked out and should not be with the rest of the team. Thanks, but good luck with your future.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

While most coaches will go to their new school immediately and not look back, there are a few who stick around through the bowl game. Scott Frost coached UCF to a Peach Bowl win even though he'd been named Nebraska HC a month earlier. I remember Jeff Tedford coaching in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl even though he had already agreed to become Cal's coach.