Arroyo to UNLV

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Arroyo to UNLV?

Post by Alan »

maxduck wrote:
I am looking in a mirror and saying be careful of what you wish for! Hopefully it is just Arroyo but I do trust Cristabol
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Now have to wait-and-see what happens to the recruiting class and how the Ducks' offense looks for the Rose Bowl with him likely not calling plays. Everyone remembers how different the offense looked when Arroyo took over playcalling duties from Taggart in the Las Vegas Bowl. Hopefully it's not as bad as that in the Rose Bowl.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:Now have to wait-and-see what happens to the recruiting class and how the Ducks' offense looks for the Rose Bowl with him likely not calling plays. Everyone remembers how different the offense looked when Arroyo took over playcalling duties from Taggart in the Las Vegas Bowl. Hopefully it's not as bad as that in the Rose Bowl.
They’ll lose some guys, that’s for sure, likely Wilson and possibly Hutson. Sucks but comes with the territory of having a successful enough program where coaches are poached on the regular.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow wrote:Now have to wait-and-see what happens to the recruiting class and how the Ducks' offense looks for the Rose Bowl with him likely not calling plays. Everyone remembers how different the offense looked when Arroyo took over playcalling duties from Taggart in the Las Vegas Bowl. Hopefully it's not as bad as that in the Rose Bowl.
Most, if not all of the class should be locked in by the RB.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Rhett Lashlee, Kalen Deboer, or Mike Kafka come be our OC, please.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's official:
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Re: Arroyo to UNLV

Post by Blazers-1977 »

How much will this hurt us for the Rose Bowl .
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers-1977 wrote:How much will this hurt us for the Rose Bowl .
That's a good question because we don't know if he's leaving immediately or staying through bowl prep. If he does leave right away, Oregon doesn't have anyone who's called plays at the D1 level on the remaining staff. That means we'd be getting a cold playcaller for a really important game. The Ducks would also be down their QB coach so I'd imagine that someone like Nate Costa would take over in the interim.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Apparently Mastro called the Nevada game...I think the RB might be an audition for him.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Obviously I was not a big Arroyo fan, but I do think he'll be a better head coach than playcaller.

I do think this helps Oregon in the long run. Critsobal upgrade from Leavitt to Avalos, no doubt we'll see an upgrade at OC. However, this will hurt for the Rose Bowl, definitely not so confident in that game now. Hopefully Oregon still can pull out a win simply cause of the talent and Cristobal can find a bigtime OC this offseason.

How will this impact recruiting?
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I felt arroyo always prepared and game planned well for big games. It was his inability to make second half adjustments that bothered me.

Coaches that prepare well and map out a good game plan for their weekly opponents will have a good team. But I feel a coach that can make in-game adjustments and react to and counter what opponents are doing in the game creates championship teams.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

who do people blame next year when the offense struggles without Justin and Marcus
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Makes Williams decommit make a little more sense. Best of luck to Arroyo and Heyward if true.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24 wrote: Makes Williams decommit make a little more sense. Best of luck to Arroyo and Heyward if true.
Not sure if A. Williams' decommitment has much to do with Heyward as Donte Williams was his primary recruiter and many thought family issues (he's got 2 kids) would pull him closer to home eventually. Based on the commits Oregon does have, it doesn't appear as if Heyward was the primary recruiter for any of them.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If i'm Heyward I would stick with oregon. Although we might be take a step back on offense next year, the defense will still be nasty. While UNLV is rebuilding their entire program. It we continue to win and the defense continues to impress, he could have a DC or even a head coaching job at a P5 in the next few years. But at UNLV, he will not have such a big stage and resources to build his unit compared to at Oregon.