OC Wish List

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

OC Wish List

Post by Phenom »

Who do you want? What kind of offense should they run? Who will Mario pick?

My realistic list:
- Rhett Lashlee (OC SMU)
- Kalen Deboer (OC Indiana)
- Mike Kafka (QB Kansas City Chiefs)
rockthief
Senior

Re: OC Wish List

Post by rockthief »

I expect there are a few guys like this out there:
https://gobison.com/sports/football/ros ... roehl/1354
jsfduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jsfduck »

not sure off the top of my head who the Memphis OC is, but it seems like they are never lacking offense and move the ball well.
JC is mentioning Rob Chudzinski, which seems interesting.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

jsfduck wrote:not sure off the top of my head who the Memphis OC is, but it seems like they are never lacking offense and move the ball well.
JC is mentioning Rob Chudzinski, which seems interesting.
Chud has done some consulting work with our staff according to JHop. He's also good friends with Mario.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'd almost rather go with a young, up-and-comer with good recruiting chops rather than an older guy who hasn't coached or recruited in the college game for over 15 years. Plus, I don't want to see the offense turn into some boring, pro-style offense that lacks any type of creativity.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow wrote:I'd almost rather go with a young, up-and-comer with good recruiting chops rather than an older guy who hasn't coached or recruited in the college game for over 15 years. Plus, I don't want to see the offense turn into some boring, pro-style offense that lacks any type of creativity.
Names?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I'd almost rather go with a young, up-and-comer with good recruiting chops rather than an older guy who hasn't coached or recruited in the college game for over 15 years. Plus, I don't want to see the offense turn into some boring, pro-style offense that lacks any type of creativity.
Names?
Don't have anyone specific; just laying out my main want in this next hire.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I get what you’re saying but it’s not like Ávalos is doing anything that’s super innovative even if he’s young. He’s just good.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Rhett Lashlee has done pretty well at SMU. He's young (36) and has spent most of his career before this with Guz Malzahn, he was Auburn's OC when they played FSU in the natty. Recruiting ties in the South, and just spent a year in Texas, which can't hurt. SMU was 6th in scoring at 43 PPG and 9th in total offense.

We also need to consider that we need a QB coach. Most OCs double as the QB coach anyway, but not something to overlook.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Rhett Lashlee has done pretty well at SMU. He's young (36) and has spent most of his career before this with Guz Malzahn, he was Auburn's OC when they played FSU in the natty. Recruiting ties in the South, and just spent a year in Texas, which can't hurt. SMU was 6th in scoring at 43 PPG and 9th in total offense.

We also need to consider that we need a QB coach. Most OCs double as the QB coach anyway, but not something to overlook.
Yup. Something that cannot be understated. We need someone that can develop QBs. Arroyo also had the TE coach title but IDK how much he actually coached them. Seemed like Gilbertson did a lot of the coaching there.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think we need, or should even seek, someone who is super innovative.. that just wouldn't really fit with MC's mentality.

We simply need someone who can employ MC's vision of football -- which Arroyo did well -- but with a better sense of calling plays within the flow of the game.

I'd also LOVE an OC who can convince MC to get away from the pistol... OR convince MC to use more QB runs. One or the other.

I'm not sure our OC needs to be a young, cool guy... we seem to have enough great recruiters... we just need a great coach.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Canzano wrote about Rob Chudzinski last winter.

Like Cristobal, Chudzinski has deep ties to Miami. There’s comfort there. The one-time Cleveland Browns head coach sat out last season. He won’t be sitting out another one, and he has a reputation as a tireless, no-ego coach who has deep play-calling expertise. And he’s already called plays for two No. 1 NFL draft picks at quarterback in Cam Newton and Andrew Luck.

Bills quarterback Derek Anderson played for Chudzinski in Cleveland and Carolina.

Said Anderson: "Chud’s fantastic, if Oregon can get him. Great with scheme. He was a huge influence in my development. He’d help them a ton. He’d find little things that will make them better.

“The dude is all-night.”

As in, he works through it.

Then ex-Oregon State star added: “Good for the Ducks... bad for the Beavers.”
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

maxduck wrote:Canzano wrote about Rob Chudzinski last winter.

Like Cristobal, Chudzinski has deep ties to Miami. There’s comfort there. The one-time Cleveland Browns head coach sat out last season. He won’t be sitting out another one, and he has a reputation as a tireless, no-ego coach who has deep play-calling expertise. And he’s already called plays for two No. 1 NFL draft picks at quarterback in Cam Newton and Andrew Luck.

Bills quarterback Derek Anderson played for Chudzinski in Cleveland and Carolina.

Said Anderson: "Chud’s fantastic, if Oregon can get him. Great with scheme. He was a huge influence in my development. He’d help them a ton. He’d find little things that will make them better.

“The dude is all-night.”

As in, he works through it.

Then ex-Oregon State star added: “Good for the Ducks... bad for the Beavers.”
Canzano just rehashed the Chud story again. I wouldn't be opposed. He knows the college game from his time as OC on those great Miami teams. He hasn't recruited for a while, but saying you coached Cam Newton/TY Hilton/Andrew Luck in the NFL has to have some pull.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

BIG NAME
Chip Long just left ND and he told Mario that he wants the job. (According to JHop)

"Long was a Broyles Award runner-up last year and Notre Dame’s offense set a scoring record under the Brian Kelly era this season."
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Phenom wrote:BIG NAME
Chip Long just left ND and he told Mario that he wants the job. (According to JHop)

"Long was a Broyles Award runner-up last year and Notre Dame’s offense set a scoring record under the Brian Kelly era this season."
He's also a top 10 recruiter according to 247.