Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Badger fan in the house

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
Phenom wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Given that Oregon's OC is leaving, I'm gonna say 24-7 Wisconsin. Hope I'm wrong though
Oh, ya'll love Arroyo now? :lol:
I never had an issue with him home slice

He's calling the plays now.
I saw that. I think this gives Oregon a much better chance. 28 - 20, Oregon
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

31-14 Ducks is my prediction. Wisconsin has a solid team, but I just think we match up too well with their style.
zoobadger
High School Drop Out

Post by zoobadger »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I would be surprised if Wisconsin scores 35-38 points.

I think this game will be very similar to the Auburn game, 27-24 type of a game that's very physical on both sides.

Oregon has a surprisingly good defense that really tightens up in the red zone. I still think Taylor gets his and goes for 150 but we hold Wisconsin to 350 total yards.
27 - 24 either way sounds about right. I think it's a pick-em and could go either way, but I'm far from an expert.

Nonetheless, a few observations. Other badger fans will hopefully correct where I'm wrong.

Wisconsin is pretty good on both sides of the ball. Much better D than the last Oregon vs Wisconsin Rose Bowl, but not as strong offensively.

The same coaching staff has been together for several years after a lot of transition. I think that's a potentially overlooked advantage.

Our DL is thin and not a strength. The LBs are very good, and the defensive backfield is deep even if there's not a lot of guys with star quality written all over them. With the mystifying exception of the Illinois game, Wisconsin is a good tackling team.

Wisconsin's pass rush is pretty good. I think a big part of that is clever schemes by the DC, Jim Leonhard, and some real good linebackers. The DL pretty much takes up space and lets the LBs make plays (Wisconsin runs a 3-4 defense).

Paul Chryst is perhaps the least colorful human being ever. He got downright crazy late in the year and actually ran some trick plays. It was breathtaking.

I think he needs to feel confident that the execution is totally sound before introducing anything new or surprising. That's not quite the same thing as conservative.

Jonathan Taylor really is special, and Wisconsin's run game is varied and complex. Not unstoppable, obviously, but if simply putting ten men in the box were a sure fire way to beat them they would be winless.

They'll run the wildcat and use their fullback in the passing game and in short distance situations.

Wisconsin lacks the play making tight ends they've had in the past. That's been a hindrance this year. They have pretty good WRs; Quintez Cephus is special and can stretch the field. I don't know if WR AJ Taylor is out for the year, though. That's a loss if so.

Coan is the classic game manager type of QB. I think he battled through some unreported injury(s) mid-season. The QB coach fraud as much in a recent interview, praising Coan for his toughness.

He improved late in the season and was an asset. But I wouldn't go out on a limb praising his skills or his performance. I was gratified too see better mobility, in particular, against OSU in the B1G championship. But for Coan, that game is a total blowout.

A very good team, and based on what I've seen of oregon, a worthy opponent. The best non playoff bowl, I think, and one that I hope a lot of general fans will be eager to watch.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Wisconsin reminds me of the Ducks under Rich Brooks. They looked SO GOOD until they played a really good team, then they would get stomped. The Chip Kelly era brought national attention to the program and our recruiting skyrocketed bringing us RIGHT UNDER the great programs like Bama, Ohio St, LSU, Georgia, and Florida. I am not sure if we will EVER be able to complete on that stage due to Eugene being..........Eugene.

Wisconsin is right there in that 3rd tier. They are close and they sense it but until they get a "Chip Kelly" type of coach to elevate the program, they are stuck in that awkward stage of being "not quite good enough".

Ducks 35-27.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

QuackininBama wrote:Wisconsin reminds me of the Ducks under Rich Brooks. They looked SO GOOD until they played a really good team, then they would get stomped. The Chip Kelly era brought national attention to the program and our recruiting skyrocketed bringing us RIGHT UNDER the great programs like Bama, Ohio St, LSU, Georgia, and Florida. I am not sure if we will EVER be able to complete on that stage due to Eugene being..........Eugene.

Wisconsin is right there in that 3rd tier. They are close and they sense it but until they get a "Chip Kelly" type of coach to elevate the program, they are stuck in that awkward stage of being "not quite good enough".

Ducks 35-27.
That's some serious shade to compare Wisky to Rich Brooks Oregon. The Badgers as a program are far beyond where Oregon ever was under Brooks.
jswede
High School Drop Out

Post by jswede »

QuackininBama wrote:Wisconsin reminds me of the Ducks under Rich Brooks. They looked SO GOOD until they played a really good team, then they would get stomped. The Chip Kelly era brought national attention to the program and our recruiting skyrocketed bringing us RIGHT UNDER the great programs like Bama, Ohio St, LSU, Georgia, and Florida. I am not sure if we will EVER be able to complete on that stage due to Eugene being..........Eugene.

Ducks 35-27.
What’s a “really good team”? Wisconsin was within 3 in the 3rd Q the first time against Ohio St, and up 21-7 at half time the second time. They smoked #14 Michigan (9-3), and beat #16 Iowa (9-3) and #18 Minnesota (10-2). I don’t see any “stomping”, unless you are talking about the 2nd halves against the best team in the country. They beat 2 out of conference teams - Central Mich & Kent St, that are each going bowling - a combined 109-0.

You guys beat the fraud that is Utah (best win was vs a 7-5 team) and your next best win was 8-4 USC. Or maybe that was your best win.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

I have to agree with jswede on that.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

TualatinDuck wrote:I have to agree with jswede on that.
Well, except that actually they got stomped by Ohio State in the first game 38-7. It doesn't matter what the halftime score was. Ducks were only behind by one point approaching the end of the third qtr in the National Championship game, right before Ezekiel Elliott rattle off three rushing TD's. I don't think the ducks got any brownie points for it. Beating Kent State and some other directional school isn't any better than our own 77-6 thrashing of Nevada, who are also in a bowl, for all that matters.

The whole minimizing opponents resumes thing is stupid at this point. The games are already chosen. Badger fans don't need to tout their resume anymore, they already beat out Penn State for the Rose Bowl. Now it's time to play. They lost last time, even with a future NFL star at QB. So it isn't like they are on some different planet as a program. Let's see which teams show up and hope for a good game.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Rose Bowl Streaks: Wisconsin 0-3, Oregon: 2-0
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jswede wrote:

Ducks 35-27.
What’s a “really good team”? Wisconsin was within 3 in the 3rd Q the first time against Ohio St, and up 21-7 at half time the second time. They smoked #14 Michigan (9-3), and beat #16 Iowa (9-3) and #18 Minnesota (10-2). I don’t see any “stomping”, unless you are talking about the 2nd halves against the best team in the country. They beat 2 out of conference teams - Central Mich & Kent St, that are each going bowling - a combined 109-0.

You guys beat the fraud that is Utah (best win was vs a 7-5 team) and your next best win was 8-4 USC. Or maybe that was your best win.
This reads like something the other UW fans would say. Congrats on being close to aOSU, and then losing.
jswede
High School Drop Out

Post by jswede »

buckmarkduck wrote:
jswede wrote:

Ducks 35-27.

This reads like something the other UW fans would say. Congrats on being close to aOSU, and then losing.
Iowa 49 - USC 24

8-5 USC = Oregon’s best win

10-3 Iowa = Wisconsin’s 3rd best win
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

jswede wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
jswede wrote:

Ducks 35-27.

Iowa 49 - USC 24

Let’s try this again:
Wisky’s best win was over Michigan - currently ranked 14th.
O’s best win was over UT, currently ranked 11th.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

jswede wrote:
Iowa 49 - USC 24

First USC historically doesn't show well in lower tier bowl games. Second they were down to the third string QB. It was 28-24 when Kedon Slovis was injured. Finally most of the defensive coaches expect to be fired.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jswede wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
jswede wrote:

Ducks 35-27.

Iowa 49 - USC 24

I love when people drink and post. UO beat 11 win Utah.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

jswede wrote:
Iowa 49 - USC 24

I mean, if you are arguing that the top of the Big 10 is better than the Pac 12, I totally agree with you. The problem for your team is that you drew Oregon, not the rest of the Pac 12. It really doesn't matter how USC did vs. Iowa at this point. Wisconsin has to play the Ducks.