Too Early Look at 2020

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Too Early Look at 2020

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote: Like most everyone, I think OL is a mystery, especially center.
Actually, getting the starting C and QB from Stanford to transfer to Oregon might not be a bad thing. If K.J. Costello wins the QB job, great, but even if he doesn't, having an experienced Pac-12 Center in the trenches to go with Sewell would be huge.

Just my thoughts.
John 3:36
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Looking at an early 2019 Stanford depth chart the starting center is Drew Dalman backed up by freshman Drake Nugent. Neither is in the transfer portal according to the linked list.

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/ ... ferPortal/
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

maxduck wrote:Looking at an early 2019 Stanford depth chart the starting center is Drew Dalman backed up by freshman Drake Nugent. Neither is in the transfer portal according to the linked list.

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/ ... ferPortal/
Hmmm...I thought I saw someone else post about a center from Stanford in the portal. My bad, I guess.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Devery Hamilton, a Guard from Stanford is in the portal. He apparently also recently followed some of the Oregon coaches.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Trey Benson needs a complete running style makeover, plus he comes from a private small school league with 5'6" 135 pound defensive tackles (Hyperbola at no extra charge.) If he makes it all the way up to second string in one year he deserves a huge round of applause. That would be fantastically quick development from his starting spot.
Well put. I tend to find myself agreeing with more of your posts than I disagree with. Stop it. Get out of my head.

I completely get why the coaches had high interest in Benson. Physical characteristics check out in terms of size and speed. I think he's got a ways to go to learning how to be great at running back, though. Even against the aforementioned Little Giants, he didn't have to run between the tackles, wait for holes to open, etc. He was just taking the ball and outrunning everyone to the edge and occasionally running over pint-sized opponents. DTs like Ware-Hudson and linebackers who look like Justin Flowe are going to a huge wake up call.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Trey Benson needs a complete running style makeover, plus he comes from a private small school league with 5'6" 135 pound defensive tackles (Hyperbola at no extra charge.) If he makes it all the way up to second string in one year he deserves a huge round of applause. That would be fantastically quick development from his starting spot.
Well put. I tend to find myself agreeing with more of your posts than I disagree with. Stop it. Get out of my head.

I completely get why the coaches had high interest in Benson. Physical characteristics check out in terms of size and speed. I think he's got a ways to go to learning how to be great at running back, though. Even against the aforementioned Little Giants, he didn't have to run between the tackles, wait for holes to open, etc. He was just taking the ball and outrunning everyone to the edge and occasionally running over pint-sized opponents. DTs like Ware-Hudson and linebackers who look like Justin Flowe are going to a huge wake up call.
I love how people from Oregon put down Benson's competition. Benson would strait up destroy Oregon and Washington HS kids also. I bet he played against more D1 kids this year, than Oregon will produce in 5 years.

All I needed to know about Benson, is that Mastro.says he's the most talented RB he has ever landed. And LSU recruited him.hard all the way until.last week, trying to flip him.

RB either have it or they don't. Barner played 8 man, and Verdell played the equivalent of 2A California competition.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

gogreen55 wrote:
micah6vs8 wrote:I think Andrew Johnson will play some LB too. He is very fast like Adrian Jackson.
I haven't heard a single thing about Johnson in ages. Will he even be on the team next season?
I don’t think so. He’s massive but I don’t think he’s gotten snaps on D.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

According to the official participation report A. Johnson Jr appeared in 8 games. Doesn't appear to have recorded any defensive statistics.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote: I love how people from Oregon put down Benson's competition. Benson would strait up destroy Oregon and Washington HS kids also. I bet he played against more D1 kids this year, than Oregon will produce in 5 years.
Benson plays in one of the lowest divisions in Mississippi.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

I love how people from Oregon put down Benson's competition. Benson would strait up destroy Oregon and Washington HS kids also. I bet he played against more D1 kids this year, than Oregon will produce in 5 years.

All I needed to know about Benson, is that Mastro.says he's the most talented RB he has ever landed. And LSU recruited him.hard all the way until.last week, trying to flip him.

RB either have it or they don't. Barner played 8 man, and Verdell played the equivalent of 2A California competition.

Barner didn’t play 8 man. He played in 2A CIF Southern Section. Probably close to 4A in Oregon.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Verdell's competition was probably pretty close to Oregon 6A. Maybe 5A. And he redshirted.

FWIW-
St Joseph (MS), where Benson goes to school, played Indianola Academy in the state championship. Indianola has 500 students... in K-12. So each grade has about 41 kids, assuming they're all the same size. That's like Scio or Nyssa in Oregon in terms of size. On the field, MaxPreps objectively ranks virtually every football team in the country, and though imperfect, offers a pretty fair indication of quality (no Oregon school is in the top 100 this year). Indianola as the 7,912th best team in the country. For comparison, Oregon's 2A champion, Heppner, is ranked 3,150th. They beat Kennedy, who is ranked 5,291st. That's Oregon class 2A.

Every kid will have to adjust to college, and they'll adjust at different rates. But because Benson comes from such a low division, it'll be a bigger jump for him than others. He definitely has talent, though.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Interesting that Benson's teammate and fellow running back Dillon Johnson is a Mississippi State recruit. He was actually ranked a bit higher than Benson and also had an offer from Oregon.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Mississippi has 1.3 mill less people than oregon, and had 20+ kids sign D1 scholarships. I get he plays in a small confrence, but his OL still had multiple guys over 270. The team had 2 Power 5 RB. Oregon as a state hasn't produced 2 power 5 RB in the last 5 years.

Look the south is just a lot better at football. The best team in the PacNW, Eastside Catholic, is getting its teeth kicked in tonight, by a school from Marrieta GA. You want to know why UW is 7-5? It's because they have 45 kids from WA and OR on the team.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:Mississippi has 1.3 mill less people than oregon, and had 20+ kids sign D1 scholarships. I get he plays in a small confrence, but his OL still had multiple guys over 270. The team had 2 Power 5 RB. Oregon as a state hasn't produced 2 power 5 RB in the last 5 years.

Look the south is just a lot better at football. The best team in the PacNW, Eastside Catholic, is getting its teeth kicked in tonight, by a school from Marrieta GA. You want to know why UW is 7-5? It's because they have 45 kids from WA and OR on the team.
So... A team has two star players and they beat everyone they play by 50, and somehow that makes the teams they beat by 50 really good? Is that your logic?

What does the Marietta (7A in GA)-Eastside Catholic (3A in WA) game have to do with the price of rice in China? Is your point that Throckmorton and Lemieux shouldn't have gotten scholarships because Washington kids are talentless?

Anyway, I feel like you're not really comprehending that states have different divisions, and those divisions have different levels of competition, so I'm gonna exit this conversation after this post. Have fun!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Devery Hamilton, a Guard from Stanford is in the portal. He apparently also recently followed some of the Oregon coaches.

Ahhh...thanks for the update.