Jamie Newman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Jamie Newman

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

greenyellow

Re: Jamie Newman

Post by greenyellow »

They need to trust their recruiting and development by going with Shough and those already on the roster. Not really sure Newman is that much of an improvement over anyone who'll be here next season.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Newman got hurt and still had 2900 yards passing and 600 rushing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Newman got hurt and still had 2900 yards passing and 600 rushing.
But his TD-INT ratio is a tad worrying.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

greenyellow wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Newman got hurt and still had 2900 yards passing and 600 rushing.
Completion percentage is also worrying. Not sure this guy would beat out Shough.
Last edited by wepto on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Yep. He'd still have to win the job if he transfers here, though, so it's not like Shough won't still have an opportunity to win the job. I think the biggest thing the staff is trying to address is that outside of TS, ALL of the QBs are very young, freshman and a redshirt freshman coming off an injury.

I know that next year will be somewhat of a transition year with a new QB and mostly new O-Line, but we have good to very good pieces in most other areas, so they could easily still win 10 games+ next year.

I think bringing in a guy like Newman would be a great idea. If the O-Line gels early, this team will immediately be a conference championship contender.
John 3:36
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Did he have a decent receiving group. Was the team always behind by significant amounts. Many different scenarios to consider. I trust the coaches.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

wepto wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Completion percentage is also worrying. Not sure this guy would be out Shough.
Although he did have 2 star receivers to throw to at WF, he didn't have the talent across the board at the skill positions like he'd have at Oregon.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

His official stats for 2019 are:

2,868 Passing Yards
26 TD
11 Int

Also worth noting, he was sacked 22 times!!! No wonder he got hurt.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Have the naysayers actually evaluated this guy? Watched an hour or two of tape? Because no offense but looking up a statline doesn't mean you really know anything. I'd trust the coaches more than a couple minutes of googling.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I only watched a highlight clip but he stands in the pocket and throws a good deep ball. Trusts his receivers to make plays...sometimes maybe when there’s too tight of a window. He reminded me a lot of Jake locker overall. Which we hate on him but he’s still solid for a college QB
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I don't mean to knock watching highlight reels for the record, I just think it's unreasonable to say the coaches are flat-out wrong to want a kid unless you've really done your research.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Tray Dub wrote:Have the naysayers actually evaluated this guy? Watched an hour or two of tape? Because no offense but looking up a statline doesn't mean you really know anything. I'd trust the coaches more than a couple minutes of googling.
Stats are the right place to start. Give it a few days before anyone has the time to watch a few hours of tape. You're also over selling how negative anyone has been.

His highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtaJUM4o4oo&t=360s

He throws a good deep ball (or at least, he completed a number of good looking deep balls, it is a highlight reel). He is a true dual threat. There aren't a lot of intermediate or short passes in that video. Or plays where he had to beat a blitz.

The team needs depth at QB. If he wants to come in and compete, I am all for it.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

SuperDuck wrote:
Yep. He'd still have to win the job if he transfers here, though, so it's not like Shough won't still have an opportunity to win the job. I think the biggest thing the staff is trying to address is that outside of TS, ALL of the QBs are very young, freshman and a redshirt freshman coming off an injury.

I know that next year will be somewhat of a transition year with a new QB and mostly new O-Line, but we have good to very good pieces in most other areas, so they could easily still win 10 games+ next year.

I think bringing in a guy like Newman would be a great idea. If the O-Line gels early, this team will immediately be a conference championship contender.
Shough will be in his 3rd year, plus he showed up early so had that spring and summer before his freshman year. They are lacking in playing time, but if you’re bringing in a senior transfer it better be to be the backup and insurance cause if not I’d have to imagine shough leaves and you’re back to the same place next year.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I would rather we focus on getting a GOOD QB coach and just develop the guys we have on the roster.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!