Jamie Newman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Jamie Newman

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Georgia is also after KJ Costello.

Costello has supposedly reached out to the Oregon coaches as well. I think you really should take one of those two if they want to come here. Worst case, Shough transfers and you have Butterfield and look for a grad transfer again next year.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Georgia is also after KJ Costello.

Costello has supposedly reached out to the Oregon coaches as well. I think you really should take one of those two if they want to come here. Worst case, Shough transfers and you have Butterfield and look for a grad transfer again next year.
Wouldn't Shough have to sit out a year, though? That would cost him a year of eligibility, where if he stayed at Oregon as the backup he'd go into 2021 as a redshirt junior.

The only problem is that he'd still have some talented guys behind him.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm actually excited to see Brian Butterfield, too... love that he committed here even with Ashford coming.

I definitely felt a bit skeptical when hearing we might be in the running for Newman, but definitely -- bring him in if he wants to compete. He'll either start or push someone else to be better (or both). And I do think Newman might give us the best chance to beat Ohio State in Week 2.
Butterfield committed first so it'd be Ashford who is coming in even though they already had another QB in this recruiting class.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Georgia is also after KJ Costello.

Costello was named second team all Pac-12 in 2018 and got hurt early in 2019. He did have very good receivers in 2018. But so did Newman and Costello still put up better stats.

That being said, I am kind of skeptical that Costello would actually come to Oregon, as we're practically rivals with Stanford.

Trouble is, UW and Georgia have much shakier QB situations than Oregon. Ducks could be looking at door #3 when it comes to QBs (the coaches have already all but said they intend to take somebody).

A quick quote from a Tyson Alger's 'Looking Ahead' article in The Athletic:
“He dominates in practice,” safety Brady Breeze said of Shough earlier this season. “It’s nice to have two guys you can trust with Tyler and Justin.”

I doubt the coaches are looking to run Shough off. Which means they aren't going to be guaranteeing anybody the job. But they want a depth guy. This is me speculating based off of publicly available information.

Oh, and Cristobal doesn't memorize every recruits stats and then rattle them rapid fire in his post class interview because they don't matter. HS stats aren't even published in a lot of cases. The coaches (and recruiting staff) are going to extra effort to compile them. Guys with good stats are more likely to play well. One data point doesn't prove anything, even if it is Russell Wilson.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Butterfield committed first so it'd be Ashford who is coming in even though they already had another QB in this recruiting class.
Butterfield committed as the only QB in the class, right? Then we get someone else -- and wasn't that as Arroyo announced he was leaving? -- and Butterfield took to social media to say he was still fully committed to Oregon and the competition didn't matter.

I see that as embracing the competition. I'm sure he could have bailed and found plenty of suitors.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
Butterfield committed as the only QB in the class, right? Then we get someone else -- and wasn't that as Arroyo announced he was leaving? -- and Butterfield took to social media to say he was still fully committed to Oregon and the competition didn't matter.

I see that as embracing the competition. I'm sure he could have bailed and found plenty of suitors.
Butterfield was told from the beginning we were taking multiple QB's. He acknowledged that at the time of his original commitment.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Butterfield was told from the beginning we were taking multiple QB's. He acknowledged that at the time of his original commitment.
Even better!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Transferred to Georgia.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Not surprised, especially once Fromm entered the draft.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Hate to see and Southeastern Conference team improve. Darn.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

go get K.J.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Turns out it's a Reddit rumor. Creator of a thread said Newman is in the student directory. That thread is now deleted.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

StevensTechU wrote:Turns out it's a Reddit rumor. Creator of a thread said Newman is in the student directory. That thread is now deleted.
LOL, that's great.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

He is going to Georgia though. He was waiting to see if Fromm would turn pro.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Been confirmed now by multiple sources. Looks like Oregon will have to go elsewhere for a grad transfer QB, likely Costello.