NDSU scouting the Ducks @ Rose Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Re: NDSU scouting the Ducks @ Rose Bowl

Post by thebootfitter »

karlhungis wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:Wisconsins game plan is what NDSU will use

NDSU QB is so much better than wisc..and can run at anytime.

Early Prediction

NDSU 31 Oregon 21
You guys beat Illinois State 9-3 but you think you will beat Oregon 31-21? You really think your team is like Wisconsin, only more talented? I understand that you are great in your division but.... come on now. I've only looked at the last 2 years but unless I overlooked it, you haven't even played a division 1 opponent in those 2 years.

I'm honestly impressed by your optimism.
What rock are you hiding under? The NDSU Bison are the reigning NCAA Division I Champions. They have won the NCAA Division I championship 7 of the last 8 years. They play Division I football.

Ohhh, you likely meant Division I FBS? In that case, you are correct. Few FBS teams will even schedule the Bison any more. True story. As fans, we're glad Oregon stepped up.

I'm confident in predicting that the game will look and feel much more like the game vs Wisconsin than what most overconfident Duck fans are thinking. Will NDSU win? I dunno. That's a tall order. But they certainly won't be embarrassed on the field.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

What is with all of these delusional NDSU fans?
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

greenyellow wrote:What is with all of these delusional NDSU fans?
We have data to back it up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

thebootfitter wrote:

You have jack s*** to back it up. UO will beat NDSU, and none of us will spend 2 seconds celebrating it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

thebootfitter wrote:

Maybe against Big 10 schools, but you've never done it against a Pac-12 school that's built more like an SEC school. Don't get too far ahead of yourselves.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Entertainment during the long off season?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Gosh these NDSU fans make it hard to respect that team, but I have to. They are a legit team and this won’t be a walk in the park. Oregon will for sure have superior talent by a pretty large margin, but this won’t be Portland State. NDSU is a fantastic team for being in the FCS. But these cocky little fans are hilarious. I just hope Oregon doesn’t overlook them cause of Ohio State coming in the following week.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

buckmarkduck wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

You have jack s*** to back it up. UO will beat NDSU, and none of us will spend 2 seconds celebrating it.
Didn't Oregon get beat this year by Arizona State? Wasn't Oregon supposed to win that one too?

With a solid football team, any given Saturday is a real thing, my friends.

I've stated elsewhere on this forum that computer models aren't a substitute for the game being played in the field, but when they predict a winner with something like 75% accuracy, they are worth a look.

Incidentally, NDSU is rated higher in both Sagarin and Massey than Arizona State right now. We should be stronger next year.
Last edited by thebootfitter on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

thebootfitter wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

Didn't Oregon get beat this year by Arizona State? Wasn't Oregon supposed to win that one too?

I've stated elsewhere on this forum that computer models aren't a substitute for the game being played in the field, but when they are predict a winner with something like 75% accuracy, they are worth a look.

Incidentally, NDSU is rated higher in both Sagarin and Massey than Arizona State right now. We should be stronger next year.

And Oregon beat a lot of teams rated much higher than ASU. It’s one thing if you’re saying NDSU has a chance, but you’re talking about a 31-21 win in Autzen with 0 data to back up such a crazy claim for an FCS team, even NDSU.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

I've stated elsewhere on this forum that computer models aren't a substitute for the game being played in the field, but when they are predict a winner with something like 75% accuracy, they are worth a look.

And Oregon beat a lot of teams rated much higher than ASU. It’s one thing if you’re saying NDSU has a chance, but you’re talking about a 31-21 win in Autzen with 0 data to back up such a crazy claim for an FCS team, even NDSU.
Eh? Where did I say we'd win 31-21?

My prediction is that the game will be decided by no more than 2 TDs. Fewer points if NDSU somehow pulls off the upset. I think it will be a good game. Oregon very well may win, but it will be a hard fought game.

thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I just hope Oregon doesn’t overlook them cause of Ohio State coming in the following week.
If NDSU does win somehow, I'm sure this will be the most common excuse. There's probably some validity to it as well. It's a dangerous game for Oregon with little upside and plenty of downside.

thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

greenyellow wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

Maybe against Big 10 schools, but you've never done it against a Pac-12 school that's built more like an SEC school. Don't get too far ahead of yourselves.
A B1G team just took Oregon to the wire. NDSU is built comparably to Wisconsin. Maybe not as fast or talented across the board, but not huge gaps anywhere either. Should be a fun game!

thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

An apt analogy may be Rocky vs Drago. On paper, Rocky doesn't stand much of a chance. We'll see how it plays out, though. I'm certainly going to be cheering for Rocky. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I don’t take offense to NDSU fans feeling like they have a chance to beat Oregon. I don’t take it as disrespectful either. They’re fans of their team and are not too dissimilar to the way we used to feel 30 years ago about our chances against PAC power teams. Occasionally we would pull off upsets. Fans of the underdog are always going to fight for respect. My advice to O fans is not take it personal. My advice to NDSU fans are please remember we will likely be a double digit point favorite in the game so please acknowledge that as a starting point for reasonable discussions/banter.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

UofDuck wrote:I don’t take offense to NDSU fans feeling like they have a chance to beat Oregon. I don’t take it as disrespectful either. They’re fans of their team and are not too dissimilar to the way we used to feel 30 years ago about our chances against PAC power teams. Occasionally we would pull off upsets. Fans of the underdog are always going to fight for respect. My advice to O fans is not take it personal. My advice to NDSU fans are please remember we will likely be a double digit point favorite in the game so please acknowledge that as a starting point for reasonable discussions/banter.
Good post. I'd be surprised if Oregon isn't a double digit favorite according to betting lines. They will almost certainly be a double digit favorite according to the computer models as well, which are often correlated with betting lines.

I don't think NDSU fans or players are likely to expect Oregon fans or players to respect the chances of an upset. But upsets happen. And in some types of matchups, upsets may be a bit more likely to happen. I believe this is one of those situations.

If Oregon comes out on fire and blows us out by 3+ TDs, I'll gladly come here to congratulate the team and acknowledge my predictions didn't play out. I just don't see that happening.