NDSU scouting the Ducks @ Rose Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: NDSU scouting the Ducks @ Rose Bowl

Post by StevensTechU »

Why is anyone responding?

This is NDSU's Super Bowl, and Oregon's 12th most important game in a 12 game schedule.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

StevensTechU wrote:Why is anyone responding?

This is NDSU's Super Bowl, and Oregon's 12th most important game in a 12 game schedule.
Super bowl? Nah. We play for National Championships nearly ever year these days. This is arguably more important in terms of exposure though, as more people will likely be watching this game than the FCS championship game.

It's totally up to you whether you want to respond, but the truth is that NDSU has the ability to pull off the upset, which could be detrimental to Oregon's chances at the college football playoffs, if you have any such aspirations for next year. That, to me, sounds like it is worth talking about.

If you discount NDSU's chances at the upset, I don't think you're paying attention to the college football landscape.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

thebootfitter wrote:An apt analogy may be Rocky vs Drago. On paper, Rocky doesn't stand much of a chance. We'll see how it plays out, though. I'm certainly going to be cheering for Rocky. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Perfect analogy! The only way NDSU wins is in a fantasy world!
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

stlDUCKfan wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:An apt analogy may be Rocky vs Drago. On paper, Rocky doesn't stand much of a chance. We'll see how it plays out, though. I'm certainly going to be cheering for Rocky. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Perfect analogy! The only way NDSU wins is in a fantasy world!
Ha ha! That's funny. And others are calling ME delusional for thinking we've got a shot.

If you had beat ASU convincingly this year, or if you had beat Wisconsin convincingly yesterday, I maybe would feel that NDSU has no shot. But both of those games suggest that the Ducks can be beat -- either by a less talented team where the right cards fall into place, or by a team where individual match ups nullify some of the advantages that the Ducks have.

Add to that the speculation that some players may be overconfident about playing a "Division II" team and that Ohio State is coming to town the following week, and I think there's enough ingredients to make an upset.

Either way, it will be fun watching it play out.

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

thebootfitter wrote:

Super bowl? Nah. We play for National Championships nearly ever year these days. This is arguably more important in terms of exposure though, as more people will likely be watching this game than the FCS championship game.

It's totally up to you whether you want to respond, but the truth is that NDSU has the ability to pull off the upset, which could be detrimental to Oregon's chances at the college football playoffs, if you have any such aspirations for next year. That, to me, sounds like it is worth talking about.

If you discount NDSU's chances at the upset, I don't think you're paying attention to the college football landscape.
"Chances at the upset"? Upset being an unexpected outcome. Not quite Joe Namath before Super Bowl lll.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

Merganzer wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

"Chances at the upset"? Upset being an unexpected outcome. Not quite Joe Namath before Super Bowl lll.
I don't think you'll hear any Bison player guaranteeing the win. But I do guarantee that every Bison player will come out believing they can have more points at the end of the game if they all play hard every single play, trust their teammates to do their jobs, and stick to their assignments.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some Ducks players believe the game is already won, regardless of what the coaches would have them believe about the quality of their opponent. If that happens, it could be enough to change the momentum of the game.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

thebootfitter wrote:

This is why Oregon shouldn’t be playing this game, they gain nothing with a win and no matter how good or bad NDSU is next season a loss would be viewed as a worse loss than against any FBS team.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

to overlook or under prepare for the Bison would be a grave mistake
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:

This is why Oregon shouldn’t be playing this game, they gain nothing with a win and no matter how good or bad NDSU is next season a loss would be viewed as a worse loss than against any FBS team.
I don’t believe that’s true. I think CFB fans who are more than casual watchers of the sport know about NDSU.. There are Power 5 programs that would be viewed as worse losses than NDSU (Rutgers anyone?). If anything I’m surprised how easy so many on this board seem to think this game will be with our QB, O line, middle linebacker, and maybe more playing their first game. This game definitely causes me some concern. Oh, and Hawaii in game 3 was 11-2 this year.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I like these feisty NDSU fans. They’ve accomplished a lot at their level and deserve to be proud of it. But this is some big boy football. Their team is going to be overwhelmed and their fans will see that Oregon football isn’t quite like K State or Iowa. If they thought Kinnick was a big venue wait until they see and hear Autzen, even for an FCS team with no students on campus.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I like these feisty NDSU fans. They’ve accomplished a lot at their level and deserve to be proud of it. But this is some big boy football. Their team is going to be overwhelmed and their fans will see that Oregon football isn’t quite like K State or Iowa. If they thought Kinnick was a big venue wait until they see and hear Autzen, even for an FCS team with no students on campus.
I think it will be a fun atmosphere. Very much looking forward to it. I think Autzen is a bit smaller than Husky Stadium, right? I've been to several games there while living in Seattle, but haven't made it down to a game in Eugene.

I doubt the team will be overwhelmed. But I do think they'll appreciate playing in a great environment like Autzen.

Funny thing is that back in 2006 when the Bison demolished the MAC champions with JJ Watt on the opposing team, there were a lot of excuses made for Central Michigan. And folks said, "Yeah, that's cool that you beat them, but you haven't actually played a real team from a real conference yet."

The next year when the Bison beat their first P5 team, the lowly Goophers of Minnesota, folks said, "Yeah, but the Gophers suck." Rightly so, but they were still a P5 team with better resources and supposedly better talent than an FCS team and should have been able to win easily.

The Bison had a couple down years, including one of our only 2 or 3 losing seasons since the 60s, and then they went on to win 6 straight against FBS competition. It's true that the only "respectable" FBS teams they played in that stretch were AP #26 K-State in 2013 to start the year and AP #13 Iowa in 2016. Both of those teams' rankings in the polls fell after losing to the Bison, but they were still solid teams. The Bison wins weren't flukes. They really are good enough to compete at that level.

The reality is that the Bison play a hard-nosed, physical style of football that would generally put them roughly in the top 30-40 of all college football teams most years in the past decade -- even without the additional 22 schollies and significant resources that P5 FBS teams claim as an advantage.

When you are a top 30-ish team in the country, you can likely play competitively with anyone outside of the elite best 5 or so teams in the country if you're firing on all cylinders. I'm guessing that with what Oregon loses this year, they're going to have to prove they belong in that elite 5 or so next year, and their first test against a top 30-ish team won't be an easy one.

I'm not predicting a win. But I am predicting that it will be a hard fought game where the Bison have a chance at the upset.

Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Good luck going up against what may be the best defense the Oregon Ducks have EVER fielded next year. Good luck with that. If you can’t score, you can’t win.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Good luck going up against what may be the best defense the Oregon Ducks have EVER fielded next year. Good luck with that. If you can’t score, you can’t win.
There will be a game that we win next season in which the defense and special teams will outscore the offense and we'll all be okay with it.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:Good luck going up against what may be the best defense the Oregon Ducks have EVER fielded next year. Good luck with that. If you can’t score, you can’t win.
There will be a game that we win next season in which the defense and special teams will outscore the offense and we'll all be okay with it.
I am betting you're right.

My expectations for the offense are low. I do think with the right OC and with average or better Center play we could blow those low expectations away. I also think a non cohesive, inexperienced O-Line has the potential to handcuff even a good OC and QB.

I bet we win 7 games next year even if the offensive points per game drop 25%. The defense should be that good.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
I am betting you're right.

My expectations for the offense are low. I do think with the right OC and with average or better Center play we could blow those low expectations away. I also think a non cohesive, inexperienced O-Line has the potential to handcuff even a good OC and QB.

I bet we win 7 games next year even if the offensive points per game drop 25%. The defense should be that good.
11-1 regular season seems more possible to me than 7-5.