Should Arroyo have been allowed to coach the Rose Bowl?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Should Arroyo have been allowed to coach the Rose Bowl?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our offense was pretty stinky.. Barely 200 yards.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Wisconsin does deserve credit for their defense balling out all game long. They were a top 10 defense coming in and pitched like 5 shutouts this year. Their LB crew is top 3 in the country.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Wisconsin does deserve credit for their defense balling out all game long. They were a top 10 defense coming in and pitched like 5 shutouts this year. Their LB crew is top 3 in the country.
Wisconsin's Lbers are pretty damn good and will do well in NFL.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's bizarre that we have to go back to Herbert's sophomore year to see what he's capable of.

Look at these over-the-shoulder throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77RIEVB90Po
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:It's bizarre that we have to go back to Herbert's sophomore year to see what he's capable of.

When Arroyo was his OC and QB coach?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

So you'd expect regression to happen overnight?

Regression over the course of Arroyo being his coach is clear, no matter what start and end date you want to use.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Wisconsin does deserve credit for their defense balling out all game long. They were a top 10 defense coming in and pitched like 5 shutouts this year. Their LB crew is top 3 in the country.
Well sure...they did well to prepare for the hubris of Oregon's offense, running up the middle drive after drive...Oregon did everything it could to make Wisconsin's D look good.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Phenom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:It's bizarre that we have to go back to Herbert's sophomore year to see what he's capable of.

Willie was calling the plays that year though. And he couldn’t make a second half adjustment to save his life.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
Phenom wrote:

Willie was calling the plays that year though. And he couldn’t make a second half adjustment to save his life.
"Herbert regressed under Arroyo"

"Yea but Willie Taggart is a bad coach"

I really don't understand how some people construct dialogue on here sometimes.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

alxtw wrote:Its worst than allowing the player (forgot who) that declared for the draft and chose not to play to travel with our team and be on the sideline with the team for our bowl game that one year.
It was Royce Freeman and that was a big mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I think the Royce Freeman thing was a disaster, but it was a good learning experience. I suspect that if a player become too self-important to play in a bowl game in the future, he will just not participate. Maybe we needed to see one before we all realized this.

Arroyo's situation reminds me more of Kevin Pritchard drafting on behalf of the Blazers after he was already fired. Obviously that dynamic was a bit different since Arroyo is leaving voluntarily, but in terms of being a bit distracted because he had no future or ownership in the outcome, it seems more likely that a person in that position would be a bit less motivated to give it his all. The comparison also seems apt because both guys ended up laying an egg in their lame duck capacities.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Phalanx wrote:I think the Royce Freeman thing was a disaster, but it was a good learning experience. I suspect that if a player become too self-important to play in a bowl game in the future, he will just not participate. Maybe we needed to see one before we all realized this.

Arroyo's situation reminds me more of Kevin Pritchard drafting on behalf of the Blazers after he was already fired. Obviously that dynamic was a bit different since Arroyo is leaving voluntarily, but in terms of being a bit distracted because he had no future or ownership in the outcome, it seems more likely that a person in that position would be a bit less motivated to give it his all. The comparison also seems apt because both guys ended up laying an egg in their lame duck capacities.

I have no idea why the Blazers let Pitchard draft in behalf of them after he got fired , as Nate McMillan could have easily drafted on behalf of the Blazers in an unofficial way (the interim GM would just be instructed to pick whomever McMillian selected).

Arroyo’s situation doesn’t compare as we didn’t have anyone who could have been a better OC for the game as there wasn’t enough time between the time he left and the Rose Bowl for an other OC to be successful
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Y’all act like this is something rare. It happens every single year. USF’s new coach is still coaching at Clemson, Ohio St.’s departing coaches coached the playoff, etc.