Mastro and Wilson back to WSU?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Mastro and Wilson back to WSU?

Post by greenyellow »

With Mike Leach leaving and speculation that they might try to hire former DC Alex Grinch as the next HC, there's talk of him likely trying to lure Oregon RB coach Jim Mastro and LB coach Ken Wilson back to WSU as coordinators.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: Mastro and Wilson back to WSU?

Post by wepto »

Well that would suck.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Can we give them one out of two? :lol:
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Both are very replaceable, IMO. Just don't let them take Big Joe.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:Both are very replaceable, IMO. Just don't let them take Big Joe.
^^^^^^X2!!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Both are very replaceable, IMO. Just don't let them take Big Joe.
Ken Wilson was important in landing Noah Sewell, Keith Brown and Justin Flowe. Not sure I call that easily replaceable.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

maxduck wrote:
Ken Wilson was important in landing Noah Sewell, Keith Brown and Justin Flowe. Not sure I call that easily replaceable.
As LB coach Wilson would definitely have had input with Flowe, Sewell & Brown. But, the story on Oregon recruiting is that during the recruiting process the players will be talking with all/any of the coaches; this seems like a good move to familiarize a recruit to the whole coaching staff.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

No coach is going from UO to WSU. They'd have to get a coordinator job, and a huge bump in pay.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

maxduck wrote:
If I had to rank Mario Cristobal, Penei Sewell, and Ken Wilson in order of most influential in Noah Sewell's recruitment, I would put Ken Wilson last on that list. I don't know about Justin Flowe, but I haven't seen anything to the tune of "Justin Flowe came to Oregon to be coached by Ken Wilson." I don't know that you or I could say whether those two aren't Ducks with a different Mario Cristobal hire at LB.

Mastro's recruiting and coaching have both left something to be desired, to me. I realize Gary Campbell was incredible, but I still think we shouldn't be letting so many top west coast running backs go east for school, and I won't even start about our RB's abilities to dissect defenses.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I agree, I think anyone can see Campbell > Mastro in coaching and recruiting by a long shot.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

maxduck wrote:
agree Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I personally would much rather have Ken Wilson stay than Mastro. I think Mastro is very replaceable, just like Arroyo and Leavitt. No doubt Mario can upgrade from Mastro. Not sure about Wilson though, I know the entire staff has a hand with recruiting but over the last two years the best recruited position has been the one he coaches, that's not a coincidence.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Of the assistants, I'd say Wilson, Donte Williams, and Heyward have been the best recruiters on the staff the past couple of classes. Mastro did step up on the recruiting trail after Arroyo left but he's not exactly been a dynamite recruiter so far. Still think recruiting at the offensive skill positions has been lacking when compared to the defensive side of the ball.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:Of the assistants, I'd say Wilson, Donte Williams, and Heyward have been the best recruiters on the staff the past couple of classes. Mastro did step up on the recruiting trail after Arroyo left but he's not exactly been a dynamite recruiter so far. Still think recruiting at the offensive skill positions has been lacking when compared to the defensive side of the ball.
Agreed, it was looking like Bouknight might be a pretty good recruiter but he lost Wilson to ASU. Verdict is still out on him in regards to recruiting, but no doubt he was an upgrade from before!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Of the assistants, I'd say Wilson, Donte Williams, and Heyward have been the best recruiters on the staff the past couple of classes. Mastro did step up on the recruiting trail after Arroyo left but he's not exactly been a dynamite recruiter so far. Still think recruiting at the offensive skill positions has been lacking when compared to the defensive side of the ball.
Agreed, it was looking like Bouknight might be a pretty good recruiter but he lost Wilson to ASU. Verdict is still out on him in regards to recruiting, but no doubt he was an upgrade from before!

Haha. Now I know people are just going with their gut feelings. Bough is a crap recruiter, and he lost Wilson by not staying in contact. The other WR commits was thanks to Heyward. Mastro is probably are 3rd most important assistant. Losing him would be a big loss.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.