Food for thought...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Food for thought...

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:The article is simply pointing out things that I/we have been saying for months. It has a more negative tone than is necessary, but in general, I can't disagree with much of it.
Agree. We've made the same point as the article on these boards, so I don't understand what is getting people bent out of shape. Mario seems intent on running the Arkansas offense that got Brett Beliema fired. These days you have to spread a defense out and have a quarterback and skill position players that can make big plays. If Cristobal is wise, he'll recognize his strengths are OL coaching and recruiting, and he'll let his coordinators do what they do best.
This continued narrative that Mario doesn't allow his OC to call the plays, is false. During the OSU game Herbert literally got on the phone and yelled at Arroyo, telling him the plays aren't working and he needs to change. Marcus told him he's sticking with the game plan. Arroyo was the one who refused to be flexible during games, not MC.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:The article is simply pointing out things that I/we have been saying for months. It has a more negative tone than is necessary, but in general, I can't disagree with much of it.
Agree. We've made the same point as the article on these boards, so I don't understand what is getting people bent out of shape. Mario seems intent on running the Arkansas offense that got Brett Beliema fired. These days you have to spread a defense out and have a quarterback and skill position players that can make big plays. If Cristobal is wise, he'll recognize his strengths are OL coaching and recruiting, and he'll let his coordinators do what they do best.
This continued narrative that Mario doesn't allow his OC to call the plays, is false. During the OSU game Herbert literally got on the phone and yelled at Arroyo, telling him the plays aren't working and he needs to change. Marcus told him he's sticking with the game plan. Arroyo was the one who refused to be flexible during games, not MC.
That's very interesting, where did you hear this?
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
100% consistent with what I have been told and heard from others with contacts inside the football program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

It seemed to be that MC wanted to build a strong defense and then offense. Now that the defense is in good hands with Avalos, I believe it will be the offenses turn. New OC. 4 QBs to choose from. I think we find one like ASU last year. I expect new OC will work some magic next year.
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

duck58 wrote:It seemed to be that MC wanted to build a strong defense and then offense. Now that the defense is in good hands with Avalos, I believe it will be the offenses turn. New OC. 4 QBs to choose from. I think we find one like ASU last year. I expect new OC will work some magic next year.
Looking at Moorhead’s first year at PSU, it looks like the offense(which was miserable the year before) was unstoppable by the second half of the season. This team could be something special by playoff time. Hopefully scheduling Ohio State week 2 doesn’t keep us from making it in.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote: This continued narrative that Mario doesn't allow his OC to call the plays, is false. During the OSU game Herbert literally got on the phone and yelled at Arroyo, telling him the plays aren't working and he needs to change. Marcus told him he's sticking with the game plan. Arroyo was the one who refused to be flexible during games, not MC.
If that is true, think about how silly Moseley's 'hot take' comments about Nemec become. I know it is popular among 'insiders' to think that fans are stupid, but actually, it's pretty obvious to anyone when an offense isn't working.

Also, imagine how gratifying it must have been for Herbert to go to the Senior Bowl and be able to showcase his skills directly to Bengals coaches, unfettered by Arroyo's bad offense. So glad he got that opportunity and that he wasn't made to regret coming back his senior year.
UofDuck
Senior

Food for thought...

Post by UofDuck »

One would have to surmise that Mario’s working at AL during their glory years of 3 yards and a cloud of dust football, coupled with being an OL coach and wanting to bring physicality to Oregon did pressure Arroyo. Not saying he forced it, but I’d suspect he had sizable influence on him. Watching the natty, Saban admitted in pregame coverage that he was slow to realize he needed to change his offense’s approach. I hope Mario was listening too. I appreciate that Mario wanted to bring SEC power to Oregon, but even the SEC power teams are morphing.
Last edited by UofDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

I know a guy who knows a guy and he said... :)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Fish made his name during the Chick Kelly time doing great breakdowns of the offense and detailed review's of at the time the innovation of Kelly. Then a few years ago he came out and said that he just didnt have time to write anymore so he was just going to get free lancers to come in and write his stuff. Thus the major drop in quality.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Fishduck was a really good site for awhile, especially learning about principles we ran under Chip.

That article was complete junk. We didn't have the talent this year to go 12-0. Arroyo was mediocre, but he also had good moments as well(see vs. Washington).

I think with a more experienced OC, he's going to defer more often.

My bigger concern with Cristobal is clock management, which he grossly erred on in the ASU game multiple times.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:Fishduck was a really good site for awhile, especially learning about principles we ran under Chip.

That article was complete junk. We didn't have the talent this year to go 12-0. Arroyo was mediocre, but he also had good moments as well(see vs. Washington).

My bigger concern with Cristobal is clock management, which he grossly erred on in the ASU game multiple times.
You dont think we had the talent to beat Auburn and ASU? I'd think they would beat ASU 8 out of 10 times and they certainly could of and should have beaten Auburn.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

nogerO wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

I know a guy who knows a guy and he said... :)
I've never made a secret that I've known Jhop for 16 years. He has introduced me to people in the athletic dept and coaches. Btw Chins was a lot of fun to drink with. So no I won't say who told me, but he would know for sure.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Fishduck was a really good site for awhile, especially learning about principles we ran under Chip.

You dont think we had the talent to beat Auburn and ASU? I'd think they would beat ASU 8 out of 10 times and they certainly could of and should have beaten Auburn.
Oregon absolutely had the talent to go 12-0 last year, they were just lacking the offensive coaching. If Moorhead was the OC last year I bet Oregon goes 13-0 and makes it to the playoffs, but I don't see that team being able to beat LSU, Ohio State, or Clemson, so I doubt they would've won a national championship. I'll take an ugly Rose Bowl win along with a conference championship.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Oregon absolutely had the talent to go 12-0 last year, they were just lacking the offensive coaching. If Moorhead was the OC last year I bet Oregon goes 13-0 and makes it to the playoffs, but I don't see that team being able to beat LSU, Ohio State, or Clemson, so I doubt they would've won a national championship. I'll take an ugly Rose Bowl win along with a conference championship.
If we just had Ugo last year, we finish 12-0. He would have INT that floater that scored the winning TD, and at least knocked down the game clincher by ASU.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

If you wanna base everything on talent, we should have lost to UW and USC...