Similarities between the Cristobal's Ducks and Carroll's USC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Similarities between the Cristobal's Ducks and Carroll's USC

Post by Blazers-1977 »

in their first two seasons:

- Both the USC after 2000 and the Ducks after 2017 both seemed lost in the wilderness and in response to that both teams would surprise the nation in whom they decide to name as their coach(Pete Carroll for USC and Mario Cristobal for Oregon).

- In their First Season as head coach while both USC and Oregon finished in the middle of the pack in the conference and finished unranked , both teams clearly had gotten better and recruiting started to become really good as well so both teams had clearly taken a step forward .

- In their Second Season both USC and Oregon finished in the top 5 , and with a NY6/BCS Bowl victory as well and with records of 11-2 and 12-2 a piece. Both teams also were led by QB's in their senior seasons who both saw the low points for their respective teams early on in their career and returned their teams to glory.

- 2002 USC and 2019 Oregon also both lost two close games that denied them a chance at the title as well

- Another similarity between Cristobal and Carroll are both seem to be strong recruiters, recruit great assistants, emphasize having a strong defense and are loved by the players. With a strong recrutring clas maybe the early 2020s could be for the Ducks what the mid 2000s were for USC
ducksrock
Senior

Re: Similarities between the Cristobal's Ducks and Carroll's

Post by ducksrock »

The game of football has been changing so much over the years that I am not sure making any comparisons between 2002 and 2019 can be done, yet can appreciate the effort and thought processes that you have presented...Either way.....GOOOO DUCKS
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I appreciate the effort and the analysis made here. I do think though it is comparing apples to oranges though. Football has changed dramatically as stated since 2002. USC is and probably always will be a school that gets 5 star recruits on both sides of the ball. I think is a world of difference in the composite star recruits of 2002 USC and Oregon 2019. I like the direction Oregon is going with recruiting. Our offense is lacking the play makers that USC had on offense in 2002. If we want the championship we need to have an offense that can score points against good defenses. I am hopeful with the addition of Moorhead our offense will become more dynamic and the recruiting will take off. We use to go after 4 and 5 star running backs. Our running backs could score on any given play and we had receivers that posed the same threat. Our offense is not on par yet with 2002 USC. I do think our defense is better and scarier than USC's defense of 2002 though. I guess I am just pumping the brakes a little. I do appreciate the effort made though.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I appreciate the effort and the analysis made here. I do think though it is comparing apples to oranges though. Football has changed dramatically as stated since 2002. USC is and probably always will be a school that gets 5 star recruits on both sides of the ball. I think is a world of difference in the composite star recruits of 2002 USC and Oregon 2019. I like the direction Oregon is going with recruiting. Our offense is lacking the play makers that USC had on offense in 2002. If we want the championship we need to have an offense that can score points against good defenses. I am hopeful with the addition of Moorhead our offense will become more dynamic and the recruiting will take off. We use to go after 4 and 5 star running backs. Our running backs could score on any given play and we had receivers that posed the same threat. Our offense is not on par yet with 2002 USC. I do think our defense is better and scarier than USC's defense of 2002 though. I guess I am just pumping the brakes a little. I do appreciate the effort made though.
I agree that our offense does not seem to have the playmakers that 2002 USC did , but I think Moorehead can get us in that direction and make our offense much better . I think the fact that we do have a better defense than USC did makes up for that a little bit (as long as Moorehead can improve the offense from 2019) and another advantage in 2020 and 2021 we have is that is unlike in 2003 when the BCS system screwed USC out of the title game , there is a playoff so if we can go 12-1 , we probably do make it in .

We do have to take the next step forward though , just like USC did after 2002 to win a title and I think with the coaching staff and the recruits we can make that happen . It’s not guaranteed by any means , but I faith that Cristobal can get the job done .

IMO the Ohio St game this year will be equivalent to the Auburn Game for USC in 2003(Auburn went into that game I believe ranked number 3) , a game which showed that despite USC losing Carson Palmer they had taken the next step and that game foreshadowed their dominance what began after the Cal Game that year and didn’t end till the 2006 Rose Bowl against Texas . If we beat Ohio St , I think that will show that we too have made the next step as well and are ready to dominate college football for the next 2-3 years .