DJ Johnson to TE

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck541
Four Star Recruit

DJ Johnson to TE

Post by duck541 »

Cristobal confirmed today that DJ will be giving TE a go this spring. Chances he sticks at his new position? Anyone think he will win the starting job?
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: DJ Johnson to TE

Post by wepto »

Anybody know if he played TE in high school?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Here's what Cristobal said about the move:

"DJ Johnson will move to tight end for the spring," said Mario Cristobal. "He has expressed interest in doing so. he runs really well. We want to get him on the field more. He’s a team guy, he wants to help the team win."

"He looks great physically. He's a sharp guy. He's a bright guy. He's a team guy. So we're gonna do whatever we can to get him on the field," Cristobal added.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

wepto wrote:Anybody know if he played TE in high school?
He was more like a jumbo WR in HS but he's got some experience being a quasi-TE.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Odd move... he feels like a better DE vs TE. The DE depth is mostly underclassmen so this makes it all the more puzzling for me, but then again what do i know.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I recall Mario being asked why Johnson wasn't playing more and he responded by saying, "Yeah, we need to get him on the field more". I know there are a lot of players to keep track of, but I can't imagine it was some kind of oversight that he wasn't getting playing time. I think it was probably code for 'he just isn't that good', or not picking up the concepts, being passed up by underclassmen, etc. One wonders if it was a repeat of his not figuring it out at Miami, or if maybe the scheme that made Brady Breeze a star also left Johnson behind. Anyway, from the presser, it sounded like maybe the move to TE was D.J.'s idea, so hopefully he is able to figure out the new position well. The dude was a really highly-touted athlete coming out of high school, it would be a sad waste if he was never able to contribute meaningfully in games at some point.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Very similar to what they did with Kampmoyer who was defensive Scout player of the year as a true freshman, played D his Redshirt freshman year then was moved to TE in his 3rd year.

DJ caught about 15 passes in 3 years in high school on a team that seldom passed. Getting on the field as a blocking H-Back would seem like his quickest route to playing time for him. The position has limited pass routes to learn and smacking the backside edge defender in a legal crackback block should be fun for him.

He is after all the self proclaimed fastest TE in America so maybe there is some receiving potential to try to tap into.